• 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Molacon
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preferred Resource for General Planted Tank Info

In preparation for delving into aquascaping I have been doing online research and I have also read Sunken Gardens (borrowed from local library, re-read some sections of interest / importance as well). I know there is also a Planted Tank Guide for sale here. My question is if anyone has a preferred resource for general knowledge that can be kept at hand for quick reference?

I'm considering buying Sunken Gardens, but there are certain areas that for me do not provide enough information to serve as a serious reference. Would the Planted Tank Guide be better in this regard? Or an alternative resource?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molacon View Post
In preparation for delving into aquascaping I have been doing online research and I have also read Sunken Gardens (borrowed from local library, re-read some sections of interest / importance as well). I know there is also a Planted Tank Guide for sale here. My question is if anyone has a preferred resource for general knowledge that can be kept at hand for quick reference?

I'm considering buying Sunken Gardens, but there are certain areas that for me do not provide enough information to serve as a serious reference. Would the Planted Tank Guide be better in this regard? Or an alternative resource?
I felt the same about Sunken Gardens. I have this book on my shelf; but, after an initial reading, its not a book I often turn to for reference.

If you are looking for an "at your finger-tips" reference guide for plant descriptions, care, parameters, etc... that would be found in Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann. While, of course, not technically a reference for aquascaping, the comprehensive plant descriptions and photos are one of the fundamental components that make up an aquascape.

For design, I would recommend any of Takashi Amano's books for inspirational effect.

For the "brass tacks" of aquarium design I would look at aquarium journals on this forum and "save" pages that you anticipate will want to return to. I have yet to find any printed texts that are as complete as what could be found on this forum. If someone has suggestions, that would be great.

I haven't looked at the Planted Tank Guide for sale here. Maybe others can comment on this.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
My preferred resource is the forum in general. You don't need to buy the guide - all the basics are covered here.

Do searches for your basic questions. Then, as others have suggested, read through tank journals. Read through different sections. Check out "stickied" posts.

A surprisingly great way to learn a ton is to just scroll through journals with photos until you see something interesting. Then start reading and digging around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I only do online stuff. Besides here, seeing what folks are doing on a day by day basis of particular interest for you would be .....

Dennis Wong’s website. He cover basics of design styles very well but also covers the nuts and bolts and techniques behind implementing them like no other.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

AGA website and especially all the years contest submissions are always inspirational to browse back through.

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all for the responses and advice. I have learned quite a bit and found interesting ideas just perusing the forum, so I will largely stick with that.

Discus, I'll see about getting my hands on those two books as well. Dave, I'll take a look at those sites.
Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

I've not seen Aquarium Plants by Kasselman but I own the Peter Hiscock book Aquarium Plants MiniEncyclopedia. It's an OK intermediate-level reference, just enough detail to be useful for a seasoned aquarist. I bought it after checking it out from my local library a while back.

I should mention that with it being a little older (2005), it also touts some methodologies that are older, less common, or that have "fallen out of favor" I guess with the majority of planted tank aquarists. For example, substrate heaters and peat moss are both featured prominently or mentioned multiple times. These aren't "wrong", it's just times change and available products/methodologies get better. Also could just be my perception based on what I've seen here and elsewhere in the hobby.

I have MTS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The problem with books is that you are likely to get one preferred method to do things and that will be what the writer thinks is best but that leaves one using a single guide for a hobby which have an almost unlimited number of ways to do anything!
You may have already noticed that something as simple as what to put on the bottom is not a simple item once we begin to develop what we want. What works best for planting will depend a lot on what you want it to look like but that in turn depends on how you want to go with any fish, shrimp, plants and lots of small points. Do you like tiny little plants and want a fully covered bottom or do you like big sturdy plants that grow totally to the top of the water and beyond? Small personal choices make it almost impossible to follow somebody else on many things so I do little in the way of trying to follow others guidelines but what I do has to be what suits me best. Others thoughts are always nice but not really important as it is no meant to please others as much as to please me!
Any guide you read, be sure to check what their water has to offer in the way of PH,GH and KH as those are really important for the long term ease of making a tank work. If they have different water, they may recommend things that won't work well in your water, so just be ready to filter some of the info if it doesn't fit.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/
KayakJimW likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode