Dealing with pleco poo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dealing with pleco poo

If you’ve clicked on this thread you’ll know exactly what I’m on about...

So I’ve got a pleco in my discus tank with a sand bottom, it doesn’t matter how well I syphon there are always bits that get missed, stuck in inaccessible areas etc and as I fill the tank back the currents stirs it up and it lays on my sand again, and if I fill the tank up carefully then within a day or 2 there’s poo all over the sand...

So has anyone got any tricks that might help combat this. I am toying with the idea of getting some power heads to blow it off the sand maybe just to blow it to one side of The tank, even if it’s something I can turn on for 10 minutes in a morning and evening to make the tank better to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep light sand will show everything and plecos are the worst. I always thought they should call them BMs and not BNs. Some discus keepers seem to like the fact that you can see the waste and take it out, but if you really don't want to see it slowly swap our the substrate to something dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed- when I had my pleco is was a constant PITA. I ended up switching to a beige colored sand instead of white.

I also got an internal filter that would 'rustle' things off the bottom once a day on a timer and the other filter would pick a lot of it up.... but in general, I will never have a pleco again.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Algae Grower

In anticipation of this issue I capped my white sand with natural multi coloured gravel (a thin layer). It hides it well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode