my new shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
my new shrimp tank

sorry for my bad english

i have a new aquascape shrimp tank , i got the inspiration from foo the flowerhorn channel on youtube.

he didnt using co2 ferts and filter

the problem is i dont have enough experience and knowledge about aquascape (i started my first tank a month ago)

should i use sponge filter + aerator in my aquascape shrimp tank ? but the aerator produce o2 and removing co2 (i didnt use co2 injection)

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kokokokkokokokokok.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	884575  

Last edited by caren555; 07-23-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: forgot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Algae Grower

First thing is if you like your aquascape, then it's perfect. Aquascaping is down to discretion. Shrimp also love mosses

Do you know what your water parameters are? Because if you are keeping shrimp then it is vital you always have a good idea of what they are.do you know what type of shrimp you want to keep? Caridina? As both have different needs. Also TDS, GH, KH and temperature are important.

I personally think a sponge filter is great!! As they create surface for biofilm to grow.

How are you planning on cycling your tank? As generally it will take some time to stabilize. Normally around 3 months if you want to do it properly.

Are your lights on a timer, as plants will grow at there best if you have a constant. Always same water, always same light. Slow adjustments are best!

I know it's alot but best thing to do while still setting up is making sure you as best you can. Find out all you can and then go from there. Anything else will just result in you lossing your shrimp and getting disheartened

Best of luck

This is my tank. I have airstones in, but I do does with ferts. Will be getting co2 hopefully next week
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0059_1563868614787.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	884577  

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broly25 View Post
First thing is if you like your aquascape, then it's perfect. Aquascaping is down to discretion. Shrimp also love mosses

Do you know what your water parameters are? Because if you are keeping shrimp then it is vital you always have a good idea of what they are.do you know what type of shrimp you want to keep? Caridina? As both have different needs. Also TDS, GH, KH and temperature are important.

I personally think a sponge filter is great!! As they create surface for biofilm to grow.

How are you planning on cycling your tank? As generally it will take some time to stabilize. Normally around 3 months if you want to do it properly.

Are your lights on a timer, as plants will grow at there best if you have a constant. Always same water, always same light. Slow adjustments are best!

I know it's alot but best thing to do while still setting up is making sure you as best you can. Find out all you can and then go from there. Anything else will just result in you lossing your shrimp and getting disheartened

Best of luck

This is my tank. I have airstones in, but I do does with ferts. Will be getting co2 hopefully next week
thank you for your answer ! i will use aerator.
yes , my lights is on timer , 10 hours a day .

is that hairgrass and floating frogbit ?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Algae Grower

Yea hairgrass in foreground and frogbit floating. Shrimp seem to love hanging out up there
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Yea hairgrass in foreground and frogbit floating. Shrimp seem to love hanging out up there
how long is the root ? did you trim the root and place it back ?

too bad , i bought duckweed instead frogbit
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower

I didn't trim the roots, just took about half inch off the top before planting, and all floaters are great. They remove excess nutrients and help keep down nitrites
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I didn't trim the roots, just took about half inch off the top before planting, and all floaters are great. They remove excess nutrients and help keep down nitrites
ok thanks , i will replace my duckweed with frogbit

did you have shrimp babies there ? how long does it take for a shrimp to be 1 inch big ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

Yea there about 7 burried females atm. And I have quite a few babies. Only very small so pretty hard to see lol. And I believe around a month or longer before they get that large. How is everything going btw? A picture c update would be cool
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Yea there about 7 burried females atm. And I have quite a few babies. Only very small so pretty hard to see lol. And I believe around a month or longer before they get that large. How is everything going btw? A picture c update would be cool
thanks for the answer , Broly . unfortunately there are no shrimps yet here , maybe in 5 days i will buy some sakura red shrimps. (the tank is only 5 days atm) i will post my tank with shrimps later
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1211212121.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	884745  

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

Looking good 👍 I would wait until you start seeing a little algea first. Then you know you have enough bio film for the shrimps to have a good feast and get settled in. What food are you going to use. May I suggest shrimp king complete. Really really good food I personally think
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Looking good 👍 I would wait until you start seeing a little algea first. Then you know you have enough bio film for the shrimps to have a good feast and get settled in. What food are you going to use. May I suggest shrimp king complete. Really really good food I personally think
i dont know there will be algae or not because i never see algae on my main tank . i will use boiled vegetables or cucumber , maybe . im asian and there are no shrimp king food even at online store
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Algae Grower

That's a shame, I was going to ask where you was from 😁 I'm from london. So hello from this side of the world 👍. Just be careful about how soon to add the shrimp. The more time your tank matures, the best chance of reducing deaths
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
That's a shame, I was going to ask where you was from 😁 I'm from london. So hello from this side of the world 👍. Just be careful about how soon to add the shrimp. The more time your tank matures, the best chance of reducing deaths
i know right nice to meet you.

10 days is enough to make my tank mature (i only did 2 water changes ) ?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Algae Grower

No 10 days is way to short amount of time for it to mature. It took mine about 10 weeks before I saw everything calm down. 5 months later, and I would say my tank is only just starting to mature nicely. Although I have hair algea atm everything is looking very happy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode