Building aquarium...help needed!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Building aquarium...help needed!!!

Planning to build an aquarium using low iron glass.Dimensions are 1300mm L *600mm H* 500mm W. Going to eurobrace both top and bottom. Planning to use 10mm glass. This gives me a safety factor of 2.9 but not calculating braces.Also i will be using polished glass so that should increase safety factor.Am i right and will 10mm be enough??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

So when I was seriously considering building my own aquarium I looked into how thick I needed my glass very carefully. In the end I decided it was not cost effective to build my own aquarium because when I priced out the glass at more then a dozen different glaziers, I found that it would cost as much as a finished tank or more for me to buy pre-cut and polished glass.

When deciding how thick to go I looked at what size tanks other established and reputable companies were selling. For a tank that is that size or close to it I don't see anyone selling a tank with less than 12mm thick even if euro-braced. I would not recommend going below that number for that reason.

If you decide to keep making an aquarium I would also consider carefully what silicone you use as they are not all created equal. Additionally you should consider how thick you want your bottom panel since this can be a point of structural weakness if you put a lot of weight in the tank.

Good luck to you. I hope you can make it work.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply...im still checking out and weighing my options

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode