new tank , helpppp - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By aquanerd13
  • 1 Post By minorhero
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 47
new tank , helpppp

sorry for my english

im planning to get another tank for shrimp + pair dwarf gourami / shrimp + 20 tetras .

at the moment , i have male dwarf gourami (will buy the female later) and the dwarf gourami harass my shrimp but didnt try to eat them . dwarf gourami really didnt eat shrimp ? im afraid if i bought the female , the female will eat my shrimp . if you also have dwarf gourami , please share your experience

ill make the no co2 , no filter tank , can dwarf gourami / tetras live without filter ? (because hang on back filter produce o2 , i have it on my other tank)




source : foo the flowerhorn tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foooo.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	884307  

caren555 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Your imagination.
Posts: 902
You definitely need a filter! If you use a canister filter and position the return pipe deeper under the surface it will not agitate the surface.
Thelongsnail likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aquanerd13 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
You definitely need a filter! If you use a canister filter and position the return pipe deeper under the surface it will not agitate the surface.
but in the video , he didnt use any ferts , co2 , and filter
caren555 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
DaveKS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: 67212
Posts: 1,880
What does filter providing a little “produce o2” have to do with running a successful low tech tank?
DaveKS is online now  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 512
You'll need a filter to process the ammonia & nitrite into nitrate, in addition to providing oxygen etc.

Some people do manage without, but these tanks need to be understocked and heavily planted - you'd need a very large tank to support your current stocking ideas.

I believe dwarf gouramis can be kept in these set ups as they're anabantoids and so take some oxygen from the air. They still benefit from filtration though. Pretty sure most tetras require filtration.

Honestly though, it's much easier just to add a filter and keep a cycled tank. Although these things can be done, there's much less margin for error and no real benefit.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thelongsnail is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Your imagination.
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by caren555 View Post
but in the video , he didnt use any ferts , co2 , and filter
What video? He probably had a 120 gallon tank with with like 3 fish and a zillion plants, along with large frequent water changes.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aquanerd13 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,533
I have been subscribed to Foo The Flowerhorns channel and have watched all the videos up to current. So a couple of things the OP should keep in mind if you want to replicate what is happening in that tank.

1) This is a Walstad tank - this means the tank is setup according to a very specific rule set. If you are interested in this kind of tank then you will want to research the heck out of this type of setup. Google will be your friend here and you can learn a lot from videos on youtube as well.
2) You will notice if you watch a few of the videos of that tank that it requires a fair amount of maintenance. Its a 5 gallon tank and he is trimming the plants back every few days plus replanting the tops of trimmed plants every so often. He keeps having to do this and will for as long as the tank is active because he has extremely fast growing plants (mostly pearl weed, hornroot, and guppy grass).
3) He has a lot of problems keeping fish alive and happy in this tank. First he did not use just any dwarf gourami (of which there are many species) he used sparkling gourami which are about 1/3rd the size of other dwarf gourami species. He also had lots of fights between the original mating pair and eventually separated them only to have them die off. He most recently lost a guppy when it jumped out of the tank because the surviving baby sparkling gourami chased it out of the tank and had to rehome the other guppy as well when it was constantly being attacked. This could be an indication his tank/swim area is not large enough for more then 1 fish.

Your proposed tank has frankly too many fish in it. If you wanted to keep 1 sparkling gourami in a 5 gallon walstad method tank it is very doable but its also will not be a beginner friendly setup or a low maintenance one. It is a LOT easier to just have a filter.
Thelongsnail likes this.
minorhero is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Your imagination.
Posts: 902
The Foo the Flowerhorn channel does not seem like a good thing for begginers to watch.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aquanerd13 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I have been subscribed to Foo The Flowerhorns channel and have watched all the videos up to current. So a couple of things the OP should keep in mind if you want to replicate what is happening in that tank.

1) This is a Walstad tank - this means the tank is setup according to a very specific rule set. If you are interested in this kind of tank then you will want to research the heck out of this type of setup. Google will be your friend here and you can learn a lot from videos on youtube as well.
2) You will notice if you watch a few of the videos of that tank that it requires a fair amount of maintenance. Its a 5 gallon tank and he is trimming the plants back every few days plus replanting the tops of trimmed plants every so often. He keeps having to do this and will for as long as the tank is active because he has extremely fast growing plants (mostly pearl weed, hornroot, and guppy grass).
3) He has a lot of problems keeping fish alive and happy in this tank. First he did not use just any dwarf gourami (of which there are many species) he used sparkling gourami which are about 1/3rd the size of other dwarf gourami species. He also had lots of fights between the original mating pair and eventually separated them only to have them die off. He most recently lost a guppy when it jumped out of the tank because the surviving baby sparkling gourami chased it out of the tank and had to rehome the other guppy as well when it was constantly being attacked. This could be an indication his tank/swim area is not large enough for more then 1 fish.

Your proposed tank has frankly too many fish in it. If you wanted to keep 1 sparkling gourami in a 5 gallon walstad method tank it is very doable but its also will not be a beginner friendly setup or a low maintenance one. It is a LOT easier to just have a filter.
did he always trim and replanting the top ? why ?

Bump: in the video , there are hair grass / dwarf hairgrass . hairgrass didnt need co2 ? just high light ?
caren555 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,533
Replanting the tops is common practice. They look better than most bottoms. He doesn't do it every time but he does keep it up. Dwarf hair grass will grow without co2 it just does so very very slowly. He planted much denser to begin with and his tank has been running for almost 2 years. That makes a big difference.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minorhero is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Replanting the tops is common practice. They look better than most bottoms. He doesn't do it every time but he does keep it up. Dwarf hair grass will grow without co2 it just does so very very slowly. He planted much denser to begin with and his tank has been running for almost 2 years. That makes a big difference.
hairgrass and dwarf hairgrass is not same ?
caren555 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
DaveKS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: 67212
Posts: 1,880
No, dwarf and reg hairgrass totally different height. Reg about 12-16” tall.

Thing about this type tank you have to understand is that soil bed is the CO2/carbon and fert source. And having a little tiny filter like a Azoo Mignon 60 filter just barely trickling into tank is good thing, at night when plants shut down photosynthesis it keeps just a little bit oxygen and circulation going overnight.
DaveKS is online now  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,533
As DaveKS said they are different species. If you are trying to emulate Foo the flowerhorn though you want dwarf hair grass as that is what he is using. The other species is like 10 times as big.

Bottom line is that if you want to do what foo the flowerhorn is doing then you need to make a Walstad tank which means you need to google "Walstad method" and do a lot of reading. If you decide that a filter is ok to have then come back and let us know what filter you are using and what tank etc and we can help you further.
minorhero is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome