3Likes
  • 3 Post By ohaple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Our Fish Are Astronauts - Really!

Hi All,

I came across a presentation by Ryan from Bulk Reef Supply on YouTube, his presentation was on the marine reef hobby in general, but in his presentation he raised an interesting point that got me thinking, and it applies to the entire fish keeping hobby.

Our fish are Astronauts!

An Astronaut is blasted off into space into an environment he/she has no business being in. It takes an immense amount of effort to keep Astronauts alive, literally tens billions of dollars were invested to make their existence in space possible. Everything that keeps an astronaut alive in space is artificial. If even one of the many systems that keep them alive fail, their life expectancy will drop drastically. However, we go to space because its hard, its beautiful and its educational.

The same can be said for our hobby... take the humble neon tetra, its natural habitat is in the rivers, streams and pools of South America. Yet here they are in a glass box in a high-rise apartment building in Los Angles, an environment they have no business being in. They are kept alive my completely artificial systems that make their existence in that environment possible. It is our job as aquarists to keep these specimens alive in a place they have no business being in. We have filters to keep their water clean and support the biological media that naturally occurs in the wild, we have heaters to keep their water the right temperature. Lights to simulate the day/night cycle, etc etc.

Think about what happens if you are on vacation for a week and the thermometer in your heater fails and it remains in the on position, in just an hour your entire tank will literally be nuked. The filter fails and your water remains stagnant for a week, they may survive but it is certainly not ideal. Worse yet someone hits a power poll and knocks out your power, now all the artifical systems that are keeping those fish alive are down and the future is bleak for those fish.

Our fish are astronauts, it takes an immense amount of time, money, energy, skill and education to keep them alive in an environment they have no business being in.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy the hobby. It just means that I have a deeper appreciation for my roll as an aquarist, it is my responsibility to give these fish the best life I can provide for them.

I am interested in your thoughts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like your analogy, except I would add that they are not astronauts, but are abductees. They do not do it for the sake of exploration or curiosity or science or need, but instead do it because a net came out of the sky many generations ago and grabbed their grandma.
ipkiss, Leeatl and aquanerd13 like this.

40g high-tech planted with CRS, CPD, and other nano-fish:

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To fish- UFO's do exist! (aka predators)

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

Not astronauts, but poor little critters abducted by aliens and kept alive in a artificial environment.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode