Transfer Filter Media or Use two Filters? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SueD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Transfer Filter Media or Use two Filters?

I have a quick question about the best route forward to accelerate cycling of my new 40g tank. I am moving all of the fish and plants from a 10g to the 40g. The 10g has a Fluval C2 HOB. The 40g will have a Fluval G6 cannister. I since the plants, water, and substrate will be re-used the cycle should be able to be maintained. My question is about the best way to get the new filter cycled without putting stress on the fish.

The first option is to just move the C2 to the 40g tank and run both filters for a month or two to allow the G6 to get established with bacteria. Since the bioload will be the same, I assume the C2 will still be able to handle most/all of the ammonia. The other solution is to transfer the physical media from the C2 into the G6. This is more advantageous from an energy use, noise, and convenience factor. I am concerned that switching media will not cut it though since the C2 has very little bio media in comparison to the G6.

My primary concern is to keep the cycle established so that I do not have to start over or risk the health of the fish.

What method would be best in your experience? If it is helpful, I also have another dry C2 and several dry small sponge filters. Is there a third or fourth idea that would be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I haven't ever used a canister filter, so that may or may not make a difference - I have no experience with them. But when I upgraded from a 26g to a 40g, I brought over the AC50 from the 26G and ran it along side a new Fluval C4 for several months, without adding any new stock. I transferred the fish, but used all new water, substrate, driftwood and only brought over one large anubias (my other decor in the 26g was fake stuff). I had no losses and only started adding new fish slowly after 4 or 5 months.

I did the upgrade in one afternoon as the new tank had to go in the same spot as the old. So I bought a 20g tank just to hold the fish and keep the old filter going as I moved the 26g out and the 40g in and set it up with the new substrate & decor.
Leeatl likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I haven't ever used a canister filter, so that may or may not make a difference - I have no experience with them. But when I upgraded from a 26g to a 40g, I brought over the AC50 from the 26G and ran it along side a new Fluval C4 for several months, without adding any new stock. I transferred the fish, but used all new water, substrate, driftwood and only brought over one large anubias (my other decor in the 26g was fake stuff). I had no losses and only started adding new fish slowly after 4 or 5 months.

I did the upgrade in one afternoon as the new tank had to go in the same spot as the old. So I bought a 20g tank just to hold the fish and keep the old filter going as I moved the 26g out and the 40g in and set it up with the new substrate & decor.

That is sort of what I am leaning towards, but would love to hear additional opinions.

40g high-tech planted with CRS, CPD, and other nano-fish:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite
No longer in service: 10g high-tech planted with CRS, and CPD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have used both methods with great success , but it is easier to just put media in the new filter and watch ammonia,nitrites,for a week or so to make sure all is well . I use Fluval C3's and 4's so I would put the sponge from the C in the canister too . You can take it out the first time you clean the canister . Either way good luck .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode