New Hobbyist with a Planted Tank || Advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Hobbyist with a Planted Tank || Advice?

I've had my tank up for about 8 months and finally wanted to transition from plastic plants to live plants. I did a overhaul and used the following:

30Gal tank that is low-tech
I am dosing Seachem Flourish Excel for CO2 daily
I am dosing Seachem Flourish Iron daily
I am dosing Seachem Flourish Advance for micro nutrients daily

Currently I am doing a 25-50% water change every few days due to it being freshly planted and the wood is still leaking tannins.

I have a HOB filter that pumps about 5x the aquarium every hour and a Aqueon OptiPlus LED Light.

Currently I am letting the light run for about 6 hours a day for white light and 8 hours a day for RGB and Blue light. I have about 14 hours of no light for my photo time period. Also I am only letting the light intensity on 60 because the lack of CO2 I have.

Substrate: Caribsea Eco complete black planted tank substrate
Hardscape: 2 pieces of Fluval Mopani wood
Plants: 3 amazon swords, 1 Argentina sword, 2 anubias, flame moss and dwarf hair-grass

I'm trying to lower my pH/kH/gH quite a bit because I have been using tap water vs. purified/ro water, thus the mopani wood. The reason is because I want to add 12 cardinal tetra's and 10 Harlequin Rosbara's and a handful of cherry shrimp for cleanup. The fish I have in there now I plan to give away or give back to my LFS to re-sell so that way I don't run into an overstocking issue.

Currently my water parameters are:

pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 0 or .25ppm (it was hard to tell)
kH/gH: 50-100ppm (took 6 drops to turn from blue to yellow per my test kit)
Nitrate: Between 20-40ppm (it was hard to tell)

To my understanding my parameters are pretty good, my dosing is good and I should be ready to put the newly selected fish in. However I had a few questions for some experienced hobbyist's because this is my first tank and I'm pretty green to the hobby.

1. Most of my plants seem to be browning slightly and have holes in the leaves. I figure this is pretty normal from all the research I've been doing since I planted about 4 days ago and they are still adjusting to the new environment. Is that true? If so, how long does it typically take for the plants to look healthy and grow well.

2. Since the tank is freshly planted the growth of the plants is pretty minimal at this time. My understanding is that Rosbara's and Cardinal Tetra's like heavily planted tanks. Should I wait to put them in there until the plants grow more?

3. Will I have an overstock issue with my selection of inhabitants?

Looking for some good constructive feedback for stocking, making sure my plants live and any suggestions on my set up. Please excuse the clouding. I took this before I cleaned the excess plants from the surface and just a hour after I put Seachem Clarity in the tank.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aquarium.pdf (708.5 KB, 10 views)

Cody Hale

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode