• 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Emergency prepped?

Just a note of "headsup" for the folks along the coast who might be sleeping!
NOW is the far better time to figure what you will do if you lose power/get flooded or whatever. After it is clear that a big one is headed your way is often too late to get it figured out and supplies/equipment brought on board.
The weather is going to get wild, so thinking now will let you get by without as much stress.
livebearerlove likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which coast?

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hurricane Barry

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

The same could be said of those on the west coast with earthquakes, forest fires, and mudslides happening much more frequently these days. It's never too late to have a contingency plan, until it's too late.

I have MTS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I meant any coast but that is probably not what I really, truly, meant as the time is NOW to prep for whatever the most likely hazard is in your area. The gulf coast is currently in the spotlight but flooding is much more likely in all parts of the country, whether it is like Baltimore which had "sunny day" flooding 12 times in the last year, Arkansas and Oklahoma which have had record river flooding or San Diego, where decisions are being made on what properties have to be abandoned.
The point is not to make a political issue out of a fact but to try to start some folks thinking about how they can keep a small problem like 6 inches of water in the house, from becoming a much more difficult time. It's much easier to get out ahead of time if you've prepared to get out ahead of time!
Ask anybody who has been through any natural event of this type and they will tell you they wish they had been better prepared.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
100%.

In the words of RuPaul: If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It's much easier to get out ahead of time if you've prepared to get out ahead of time!

Ask anybody who has been through any natural event of this type and they will tell you they wish they had been better prepared.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In effort to help- here is my emergency plan:
I have two sponge filters that are always running in a vase in the basement with my snails (puffer food). It is USB as well:
Therefore it can hook up to my computer if need be. I have a small generator in the garage- charges my computer in about 10min.
We have flashlights, petrol, food, guns etc on hand. I wouldnt consider me a 'prepper' but lets just say im prepared.

Recently we got some bad weather- and our power went out for two days. I was able to hook up the sponge filters to my computer.... it wasnt perfect- but kept my fish alive. I was dealing with other things (my medical conditions) and couldnt do massive water changes, so I would say it worked well for me. Of course im now dealing with a algae bloom- but my babies are still alive!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Instead of just cracking a joke, I should offer something more helpful, as well.

Much like @livebearerlove, I find myself being prepared. Both for human & dog stuff but also for tank stuff.

USB-powered fans, pumps and air-sponge filters are really great. If you have large enough tanks, you can hide sponges behind hardscape or plants and run them in addition to whatever else you run. Or, if you only run sponge filters, it's no big deal. With planning, you can use decent cell phone back up batteries for quite a while.

Battery-powered air pumps also work well.

If you live in an area where you can't operate a generator, there are battery options that are affordable. I have ~$50 uninterruptible power supplies that have regular outlets and USB ports. They'll operate fans/pumps/filters for several days if you keep things on a timer. There are frequent outages here and they've worked well. Anyone telling you that they won't hasn't bothered to try newer batteries. With a little creativity and planning, they're convenient. Companies like Goal Zero also make larger battery solutions that will last much longer... and cost you a ton. Solar options, too.

Have some extra room in your home? Store water for frequent water changes. I live in a real life tiny house and still have room for an extra 50 gallons of RO/DI water. Plenty of different storage options on the market that are easy to disguise to fit your decor.

Think you'll have to evacuate or at least leave your area for an extended period of time? Make sure you have coolers with wheels so you can take your aquatic critters with you if that's an option. Fortunately with the internet, you can usually find someone with short notice to help you temporarily/permanently re-home things - should disaster strike - no matter where you end up. Folks can debate the ins and outs of that if they want but at least it's an option to have.

If you'll be leaving tanks at home and think there'll be flooding? Try to keep tanks up off the ground. That's a no-brainer, obviously, and it doesn't work in all situations. Because floating, movement, yada yada. But if you expect a few inches of water and are just keeping your smaller tanks on kitchen counters? Probably not a ton to worry about as far as tanks go. Also keep all of your supplies up high.

In the winter, I keep styrofoam insulation sheets (for shipping - so I already have it) to tape around my tanks to keep them at reasonable temperatures. Can help in the summer if things get too hot. That, small fans, floating frozen bottles/containers of water - or even bags of ice. Also keep rolls of decent plastic wrap (ugh, I know, I'm an environmentalist, too) for quickly covering tanks or containers.

Just do what you can reasonably do. Don't over-think things or get discouraged. Turn to the forum and social media for help if you need.
livebearerlove likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Much like @livebearerlove, I find myself being prepared. Both for human & dog stuff but also for tank stuff.
Good point. When our 'family' grew (more animals) I found that our emergency cabinet overflowed..... Things were stacked in front. I will add it is important to ensure your medications/food/etc is up to date. In our case- We have birds, dog, cat and fish tanks (so containers, bottled water, freeze dried/dehydrated food/dog/cat/bird food/blankets/clothing/cages/batteries/medications- compounded antibiotics to sutures). So I keep multiple things on hand.... but Im also sure to 'reorganize' that cabinet every other month.

So in a nut shell- stay organized!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode