Getting back into it - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I took a long hiatus after breaking my leg and having surgery. While I was down my tank didnt get proper care and all but my khuli loaches died off in my 20 gallon. My wife had added some algae eaters but other than that nothing happened with the tank. My water wysteria got way over grown and actually choked itself out and died and all of my grass uprooted from the gravel. We just moved into a new house and while my tank was at my in laws the filter messed up and drained out onto their floor. A friend offered a solution. He had a 75 gallon aqueon tank with stand, lights, air pump and a fluval 406 filter for, get this $130. I needed a new stand and filter for the 20 gallon and I couldn't pass up doing this upgrade. The tank and components were covered in dried black algae so I scrubbed and scraped everything with bleach today and dried it thoroughly. He had a large bag of black sand so I added it and am adding the gravel from my current tank on top. The grass that had uprooted had grown extremely well into a ball in the old tank so I separated it, the baby pearl and 3 sprigs of wysteria and planted them in shallow water with an air stone running with the old filter media from the other tank sitting on top just to help it cycle. I haven't been able to see any of my loaches but I added an air stone off of a splitter just to agitate the water (parameters are great as it still has java fern and more grass with a very small bio load) . I would prefer to cycle the tank longer but if any of the loaches are still alive I need to get them transferred soon or it may be even worse for them in the old tank. Hopefully if any are still alive they will continue to live (I've found khuli loaches to be very hardy fish and survived my learning curve and negligence). I look forward to getting to build this bigger tank up and plan to keep a small bio load. Wish me luck! Oh and I will be transferring my MTS to keep the sand agitated also

My anubis was also still alive and I planted it in also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9215_1562560273043.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	883871  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Planted Member

I would add some driftwood and more plants to make it more interesting. cardinal tetras are small beautiful fish with a tiny bioload.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be adding more plants for sure, I'd like to add some taller long leaf plants to the background and some darker colorations (dark red) mid ground, as far as fish go I'm still looking into this, I love celestial pearl danios so will most likely be getting around 10 of them, and am researching what others will go well with them. My previous tank had cherry barbs and celestial Pearl's and the cherries were torturous to the pearls. I will also be adding some blueberry shrimp. I have a chunk of driftwood that takes up about a third of the bottom of my 20 gallon and is completely covered in java fern that will be moving in. I'm a flint knapper so I have a few larger chunks of pretty stone I will be adding in also

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode