Glass box rescue, share your stories - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass box rescue, share your stories

Hey everybody, had a question or two about rehabbing a 55g tank (48"x12"x20") I saved from the clutches of the garbagemen. The tank looks like 7mm glass (could be 6mm I s'pose but I didn't measure) and has the black plastic rim with built-in center brace. Glass is in good shape, except for a fair few light to medium scratches on the bottom pane.

Anywho, the seam along the bottom is separated, and I'm planning to do a complete deconstruct and reseal. If anyone has any tips on how to remove the top rim, I would welcome your advice.

The tricky bit however is that the bottom plastic rim is broken at one corner, in two places. I have a plastic repair kit using the cyanoacrylate liquid and powdered plastic resin that should keep it together, but I wouldn't know what the strength requirements would be.

Is this something I should at least attempt with the tank in this state, or is it not worth the effort or risk? If any of you have any anecdotes to share I would love to read through them.

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't want to use it as it's original size but I wouldn't hesitate to cut the glass down and make smaller rimless tanks. My understanding from watching videos is that those rims are super hard to remove when intact. I can't imagine them being broken helps. Plus I wouldn't want to trust tank integrity to however well the super glue holds.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I wouldn't want to use it as it's original size but I wouldn't hesitate to cut the glass down and make smaller rimless tanks. My understanding from watching videos is that those rims are super hard to remove when intact. I can't imagine them being broken helps. Plus I wouldn't want to trust tank integrity to however well the super glue holds.
I can't really do rimless open top because of my cat, but cutting it down to a shorter size might be an option. Would it be worth it to get a tempered pane at a glass shop to cut the height in half and make two 48x12x10 tanks? I've always thought it would be cool to do a whitewater stream with hillstream loaches or something similar.

What's the best lid option for a rimless tank? I've only ever seen rimless tanks with lids in much smaller sizes.

I have MTS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

You will need to do some research on what size tank you can make out of glass as thick as yours. I would hesitate to spend money on this project since the appeal to me would be to get a tank for free or near free. I do not know if you will be able to make a tank 48" long out of this glass. You may need to go shorter.

Regarding the lid. You can get tabs that let you use glass as your lid. Basically it would sit even with the top of the aquarium.

If open top is not an option you could cut it down shorter and use the glass you cut down to create euro bracing. That way you could make a 48" tank. Again you will want to research how big a tank you can make using that method to make sure you don't have a busted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode