Guppy Fail - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By babystarz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guppy Fail

Please check my photos for a picture of the tank.

Hello, I'm Spud, previously known around here as the Thing Fish. Hello Michael, (if you're still poking your head in around here). Hello to Hoppy too. So, I have a 20 gallon low tech that has not had fish in it since the great tiger barb war of 2018. This aquarium is fairly well planted and the plants have a comfortable blanket of dust algae on them. (sounds worse than it actually is). On the bright side, GLA is shipping me a pro CO2 system next week. That should help. I've been wanting to do CO2 for a very long time now. So to the question, why can't I keep my guppies alive? I have very long lived fish in my other two tanks, but I am miserably failing my guppies. I'm used to generously feeding my fish, but then I learned to feed guppies sparingly, (feeding them Tetra Color Flakes), the guppies are still dying.
-- Water parameters pH 7, GH/KH 107.4, Temp 77.6, other inhabitants, 2 Khloe Loaches. Filtration 3 HOBs, air pump/air stone. Filtration and air run 24/7.

Thank you for your help.
~Spud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've been out of the LFS for 6 years now, but to memory most of the guppies available to stores through wholesalers are imported from Southeast Asia. They'd usually have "import" or "Singapore" or so forth after the description and I found that they were awfully weak fish compared to the guppies I grew up having. There are (were?) some pond bred guppies available through Seagrest Farms that were a little better, but they came shipped in very hard water and weren't the easiest to acclimate to my own soft and neutral tap. When I sold fish I would eagerly buy guppies from hobbyists any chance I got. Though few kept one pure strain they were what guppies were supposed to be. I suspect that if you can raise any fry up, you will have much better stock to work with. Apistos were the same way, beautiful young adults would come in but even those that survived acclimation seemed to be short-lived. But if you could just get fry once, the new generation were like a whole different fish in terms of vigor.

Your listed parameters seem like something guppies should thrive in though I suspect a typo in the hardness. There's always the chance of a pathogen. Any particular symptoms before death? Feeding generously or sparingly is a matter of opinion, but I tend to throw a good amount of food to livebearers. Again, that's very subjective but they have a pretty fast metabolism. It may not make a bit of difference but I'd be inclined to vary the food some.

Also, I'm not the most computer savvy guy but I can't find any photos by visiting your profile.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you for your reply Blue Ridge Reef. I believe that I may have figured out the cause of them dying. After doing some more research I believe that they may have intestinal worms. One of the fish was almost dead this morning but he has perked up a bit now. He currently is trying to pass what may be a dead worm. I do seem to remember when I first brought them home and put them in my tank, one of them had a red worm coming out of him. Kind of freaked me out, but since I didn't actually see any more of that going on, I sort of brushed it off, but now in hind site I bet that's what's going on with them. I have some Levamisole on hand so I'm going to go ahead and treat them with it to see if that helps. The one that seems affected today is pretty skinny compared to the rest of them too, so hopefully that may be the cause. Trying to link to the photo of my tank:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...&order=&page=0

Ok, I used to be able to copy the URL of a photo in the gallery and it would link to the photo, but no joy on that any longer apparently. If you check the gallery you'll see the photo in there under Spud. I'm not showing it off, it's just for reference on the case here.

Last edited by Spud; 07-01-2019 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add link

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know how your LFS handles their fish, however watching some aquarium co-op and then seeing that my LFS doesn't seem to have a quarantine area for new arrivals I've been pretty sold on running through the "aquarium co-op Quarantine Meds Trio" for any new fish to take care of any badness the fish may have.
If just for peace of mind and less heartache from having a fish die from some unknown cause.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Hello Quesenek, good advice indeed. I was less worried about that since that tank didn't have any inhabitants, plus I haven't had any trouble in the past buying fish from them, but in hindsight yeah, you are right.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Hello Quesenek, good advice indeed. I was less worried about that since that tank didn't have any inhabitants, plus I haven't had any trouble in the past buying fish from them, but in hindsight yeah, you are right.
Yeah I didn't think much about quarantining fish before, not even when adding new fish.
However watching aquarium co-op they really show how bad some of these fish come in and if the fish are wild caught who knows what they might have.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

OK, I started the Levamisole treatment tonight. We'll see.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I've been out of the LFS for 6 years now, but to memory most of the guppies available to stores through wholesalers are imported from Southeast Asia. They'd usually have "import" or "Singapore" or so forth after the description and I found that they were awfully weak fish compared to the guppies I grew up having. There are (were?) some pond bred guppies available through Seagrest Farms that were a little better, but they came shipped in very hard water and weren't the easiest to acclimate to my own soft and neutral tap. When I sold fish I would eagerly buy guppies from hobbyists any chance I got. Though few kept one pure strain they were what guppies were supposed to be. I suspect that if you can raise any fry up, you will have much better stock to work with. Apistos were the same way, beautiful young adults would come in but even those that survived acclimation seemed to be short-lived. But if you could just get fry once, the new generation were like a whole different fish in terms of vigor.
I have found all of this to be true. I asked Keng Lee (of Twin Cities guppies) about imports once and he told me something that really changed how I approach imported guppies - if they are from farms in Southeast Asia there is a very high probability that they are used to living in salt water and he recommended I also add a decent amount of salt to my water for imports. It worked! It was a pain in the rear but I got 2 batches of fry and immediately moved the fry into non-salted water. F1 generation is much stronger. Unfortunately they also try to eat their own fry but that's unrelated to the salt issue.
Spud likes this.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey Blue, so I made a trip over to my LFS and spoke to the lady who manages the fish. She confirmed that her guppies did in fact arrive with intestinal worms and is currently treating them. It's Petco's policy that they will not exchange or refund money for fish that have died unless you bring the dead fish back with you. So best not to purchase life insurance through them. :-D
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PS, my former account name here at The Planted Tank was actually Grizzle fish.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
A fun thing to remember: You'll get perma-banned for having multiple accounts. Particularly when you're repeatedly banned for trolling the forum. Sorry bout it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode