What to do about mystery fish in invert only tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What to do about mystery fish in invert only tank?

A month or so ago I noticed what at first looked like a baby mosquito but upon further investigation it didn't move like one, it moved like a baby fish. So I decided to just let him be. Later I noticed up to 5, however 3 quickly disappeared. I've concluded eggs came in on a moss ledge I had got recently. I feed this tank plenty of BacterAE for biofilm for snails so I am assuming they were eating that along with w/e else was in the tank. Well one is still alive, looking bigger, and I can finally see some detail on him to identify him. Based on what my hobby shop had in stock in those tanks and now he's showing a little yellow I think he might be a Furcata Rainbow but I still think Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish looks most like this fry, at least right now. From day one all I could see was bright blue eyes on the fish, which matched more fish than I imagined. It's incredibly difficult to photograph due to how small and fast it is.

Assuming he keeps growing, my issue is from what I have read they are a schooling fish, and he is still less than 1cm. Should I wait until he gets bigger and add him to a school? Is there other things I can do to make him grow better? I am used to keeping betta's & shrimp but not fish fry or schooling fish. Most of my tanks are 2-7 gals, how big of a tank is needed for this guy and his potential tank mates? Not sure what to do. I have some attachment to the little guy since I raised him this far.

Last edited by thinkobscure; 06-28-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add additional fish possibilty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Both are pretty small rainbows, but when kept in the numbers that they should be will still require more elbow room than a 7 gallon. Something along the lines of a 20 long would be a great little tank for a group of furcata.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I have a potential problem but I don't know how that problem may move, I wait!
So a summary might be that there is something that you like but you can only guess at this point, which certainly means "it" is not up to eating the fellow tank mates!
My plan would be to starting making a plan, so congrats on that point! But my plan would be to wait and see how I feel as "it" becomes more obvious that something needs to be changed. Maybe getting some tank space cleared for "it" to live? Maybe there is not room in your life for that, so a plan to swap "it" would be better?
If there is only room for a single fish, even a schooling fish, that doesn't change my plan much as I rarely see fish grow up to be so neurotic that they are a danger to me and my family, so they have to live solo.
And as a further reason to defer and not worry the issue too much is that tiny fish have a way of suddenly being gone and then the problem is not a problem?
Perhaps the best plan is to check with "it" in a few months and see what it does want to do! Meanwhile it takes very little to help "it" along if you dust a bit of crushed food now and then. Most baby fish in nature have to do the best they can finding what they can, so adding some can be very helpful if not overdone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode