Erythromycin treatment in planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Mud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a neon tetra with a large white growth on his mouth that appeared yesterday. I was told by a friend to treat my whole tank with API Erythromycin following the package instructions. My friend has plenty of aquarium experience but doesn't have a planted tank so I wanted to ask here before I treat my whole tank.

Tank specs:
48 gal
HOB filter with Bioballs and Siporax media with filter floss (no carbon)
Heavily planted (4yrs running w/o problems): Water lily, Anarchists, Java plant, Amazon Sword, Pennywort, Glossostigma, Baby tears, moss ball, Anubias, Bolbitis root, and something that looks like little bananas (forgot to save the tag).

Tankmates:
8 neon tetras (4 @ 9mo - [email protected] 6 years old)
2 adult Male platty
5 adult female platty
25 - 1 week old platty - unknown gender
5 - 1 month old platty (1 male, 4 female)
2 - 6 month old platty (female)
2 Corey catfish (1 male and 1 female - lays eggs but never had any survival)
Dwarf bristle nose plecos:
1 adult Male
1 adult female
1 - 9 month old female
2 - 7 month old (too young to know gender)
~60 under 1month of age (planned to take to adopt out this weekend until my neon got sick)
2 ghost shrimp ( 1 Male, 1 female- occasional babies but everyone eats them)
1 very large nerite snail
Some invasive snails (trying to get rid of them).

Cleaning:
I do a light gravel vacuum every 4-6 weeks in the front area (where I drop pleco wafers). I pull out filter floss weekly or more to rinse.
The only chemical I add is Prime with cleaning.

Also, I have a cuttlebone in the tank that the snail and plecos love.
Food: pleco wafers, flakes, granules daily. Mysis shrimp (from frozen) ~ 1x week

Thanks in advance for the help!

Forgot to mention, I do a light gravel vacuum every 4-6 weeks in the front area (where I drop pleco wafers). I pull out filter floss weekly or more to rinse.

The only chemical I add is Prime with cleaning.

Also, I have a cuttlebone in the tank that the snail and plecos love.
Food: pleco wafers, flakes, granules daily. Mysis shrimp (from frozen) ~ 1x week

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-29-2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If it's Saprolegnia, it won't work on it. If it's bacterial, it's Gram negative and most aren't affected by erythromycin. Some are but erythromycin isn't well absorbed from the water. It needs to be injected or fed.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am a big advocate of treating any antibiotic in a hospital tank rather than the display tank. That way you are at least lessening the chance of other inhabitants of the tank coming down with it and no damage will be done to your biological filter. There are at least a half dozen pathogens it could be, Kanaplex might prove a bit more broad-spectrum than Erythromycin.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is it one of the older or younger neon tetras? It may just be weak from age and, therefore, made it prone to illness. 6 years old is an older neon in the aquarium.

If it is just the one fish affected I would just let the illness/maybe tumor? run its course or humanely euthanize with clove oil if no longer eating or debilitated.

I would watch the other fish carefully in tank to make sure nothing else going on before treatment. And erythromycin would not be my first choice if dealing with bacterial issue as well.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode