Bioload maxed out? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By psychofisho
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bioload maxed out?

I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 guppies, a dwarf gourami, 4 amano shrimp, and a bunch of bladder snails. My filter is an Aquaclear 20 and in terms of plants I have an anubias barteri, a java fern, 8 stems of wisteria, and a marimo moss ball with plans of java moss in the future. Am I maxed out on bioload because I was thinking of adding either a dwarf african frog, some thai micro crabs, or some pom pom crabs, but only if I still have some wiggle room with the bioload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say you are maxed out for that tank . If you want more , get a bigger tank...

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok thank you so much

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some details on my view of maxed out?
I feel it varies a lot on what most of us want to do but there is no firm answer as to what level is to much due to all the variables involved.
If we got down to real facts, we don't actually HAVE to have a bio filter at all but that also means we need to do almost constant water changes, so not fitting the schedule for most of us and what is practical depends on several other points. Like finding what level of attention and time we want to spend on changing out water. More water changed, lets us run heavier loads but most of us do have other things to do and would find your stocking level to be close to enough as we don't want to push the limits so far that the fish don't grow and perform as well as they might under better conditions.
As we all start, I might guess that we all have to fight the urge to keep adding more and we often do push it too far and wind up having to fight diseases which often slip in quietly due to the fish being more stressed than we thought. A hard lesson many of us have learned?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another consideration is the sex of your guppies. Do you have both male and female? If so, you will be overstocked in a short time as they breed prolifically.
If you have all males, that's a good mix you have right now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

My cheater way is to use a slightly oversized canister filter and turn down the flow.

Eheim ECCO Pro 200 (about $100)
has 2 baskets; use one for sponge/filter floss, and the 2nd for seachem matrix.

Flow is 160gph, so not outragous, and there is an ouput flow control valve.
A basketful of matrix will bioprocess much more livestock than you now have.

My other bio-load multiplier, is a small quiet, clip-on fan I use to blow across the open-top tank, to maximize gaseous exchange at the surface.
Doing so will also lower the water temp by 6 to 9 F, which has to be taken into account (in my case, I also needed the cooling).

Lastly: when you use tech to overload the aquarium, bad things may happen if the power goes out - leading to the need for an uninterruptible power supply. The Eheim listed above uses only 5w, comparable to your 6watt Aquaclear 20. Even a small 500va unit will last seemingly forever if you only plug the 5w main filter into it.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Last edited by psychofisho; 07-05-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebaleep View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 guppies, a dwarf gourami, 4 amano shrimp, and a bunch of bladder snails. My filter is an Aquaclear 20 and in terms of plants I have an anubias barteri, a java fern, 8 stems of wisteria, and a marimo moss ball with plans of java moss in the future. Am I maxed out on bioload because I was thinking of adding either a dwarf african frog, some thai micro crabs, or some pom pom crabs, but only if I still have some wiggle room with the bioload
Try plugging your data into this calculator: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor.

It's not perfect, as nothing in this hobby is, but will give you an idea of where you stand. Where you achieve 100% capacity, that's a minimum, not a maximum, if you have some experience. You can go much higher (I'm over 200%) if you provide a good environment (lots of O2, low organics via clean water, w/c's, UVS, plant/bio-media filtration, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho View Post
My other bio-load multiplier, is a small quiet, clip-on fan I use to blow across the open-top tank, to maximize gaseous exchange at the surface.
Doing so will also lower the water temp by 6 to 9 F, which has to be taken into account (in my case, I also needed the cooling).
Can you - or anyone - provide data/studies that indicate that blowing air across the surface improves gas exchange? I'm skeptical, but I have no proof to support/discount it. I would be very interested if it's true.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Try plugging your data into this calculator: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor.

It's not perfect, as nothing in this hobby is, but will give you an idea of where you stand. Where you achieve 100% capacity, that's a minimum, not a maximum, if you have some experience. You can go much higher (I'm over 200%) if you provide a good environment (lots of O2, low organics via clean water, w/c's, UVS, plant/bio-media filtration, etc.).

Can you - or anyone - provide data/studies that indicate that blowing air across the surface improves gas exchange? I'm skeptical, but I have no proof to support/discount it. I would be very interested if it's true.
Fan blowing air across surface:

Its easy enough to test for yourself.

In my case, when I need to move my tank, even a couple inches, I need to remove all fish and water. I have a clear container (too small) I like to use and from experience, even with a small powerhead agitating the surface, I have only 4 min before the big fat goldfish all start to suck air from the surface, then the discus follow suite. When a particular orange goldfish turns upside down (its always him), I know its getting bad.

I move clip the tiny 4" fan to flow at the water's surface, and everyone is happy again, within a minute to 90 seconds.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Another consideration is the sex of your guppies. Do you have both male and female? If so, you will be overstocked in a short time as they breed prolifically.

If you have all males, that's a good mix you have right now.

The African Dwarf Frog may help keep guppy population down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode