Favorite tank size? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Favorite tank size?

This kind of thread could get either a lot of replies I feel or very little lol But what is your favorite or ideal tank size? I know a lot of people on here will say the 40 breeder.

I'm not entirely sure what mine is. About 3 or 4 years ago, I had a 55 setup and I really enjoyed it. Probably more so than any other tank I've had. Then I moved, tore it down and sold it sadly. I'm not really heavy aquascaper. I just like to through a few easy plants in to make it good enough for my own liking and that's about it. So the height to depth ratio of the 55 doesn't really bother me in that aspect. Without all that, it's a great tank I think for watching schooling fish swim back and forth.

I did notice though personal experience recently that how much easier it is maintenance-wise to have a shorter tank, which is one reason why I might be setting up a 40 Long instead of a 55 when I set up a new 48x12 footprint tank soon.

I guess I would have to say my favorite/ideal tank size is a toss up either of the 40L or 55 personally. A tank I think that would be even better than both would be a tank that is 48x12x18. I wish Aqueon or Marineland made a tank this size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
80G frag tank provides 8 sq.ft. of planting space and is only about 16" tall.
Double the floor space of a 55G.
rwong2k and Wobblebonk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
This kind of thread could get either a lot of replies I feel or very little lol But what is your favorite or ideal tank size? I know a lot of people on here will say the 40 breeder.

I'm not entirely sure what mine is. About 3 or 4 years ago, I had a 55 setup and I really enjoyed it. Probably more so than any other tank I've had. Then I moved, tore it down and sold it sadly. I'm not really heavy aquascaper. I just like to through a few easy plants in to make it good enough for my own liking and that's about it. So the height to depth ratio of the 55 doesn't really bother me in that aspect. Without all that, it's a great tank I think for watching schooling fish swim back and forth.

I did notice though personal experience recently that how much easier it is maintenance-wise to have a shorter tank, which is one reason why I might be setting up a 40 Long instead of a 55 when I set up a new 48x12 footprint tank soon.

I guess I would have to say my favorite/ideal tank size is a toss up either of the 40L or 55 personally. A tank I think that would be even better than both would be a tank that is 48x12x18. I wish Aqueon or Marineland made a tank this size.
You will get many answers depending on what an individual's priorities are.
The best tank for me is always the biggest one I can get because I am first and foremost a fish-person.

I love my 180 gallon- despite the wet armpits.

If I could get another 18o gallon I would do an African Congo/ riverine biotope (ish): native plants, hardscape, and fish. I already have 34 wild African tetras that are mixed in my current 180 with geophagus- not the best mix.

Where I would put it ... now, that's another question. Id give up my bed; but the significant other would find this "the last straw!"
Maryland Guppy and varanidguy like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
For the longest time I thought having a 180 gallon 72x24x24 or a 240 gallon 96x24x24 would be really cool to have, I really like the ratio and the overall size of the tank.

However nowdays I prefer the look of small rimless tanks with good ratios that are pleasing to the eye when planted.

Something like the aquascaper 600 would be really cool to have in the United States, maybe in a few years we will catch up to where Europe is right now in the aquascaping scene and more options will be available.
rwong2k likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My old 65gal breeder I use to have was perfect for me, 36x18x24. Armed with planting 9” forceps and 2-3” of substrate in tank it was get your arm wet 5-6” past elbow to plant. If you had to reach gravel with hands it was doable. Water changes and maintenance was a reasonable affair.

Best part was being able to use taller plants like aponogeton and tall Val’s to best effect. 5-7 plants of corymbosa Stricta in a big 14-17” tall cluster looked spectacular.

Seeing a ulvaceus bulb expand to its full 17-19” glory and not being squished against water surface is a sight to behold.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Depends upon priorities and what I'm keeping. If it's shrimp? I prefer tanks that are more shallow than the average person. For shrimp, the standard 20 gallon long is about as deep as I like to go. Generally prefer things smaller - like the flatter (45-F, for instance) ADA tanks and decent rimless cubes from several manufacturers/resellers. I have a few 'frag' tanks that I've had tank builders make and I really enjoy them because they're shallow.

When it comes to fish, I tend to like things huge in relation to the fish I'm keeping. Example: standard 90 gallon for a large group of Boraras brigittae.

The older I get, the tinier I like to live. Lately I'm finding myself leaning back toward the small side. A forum member was recently debating a couple tanks and it nudged me into setting up a few 33 gallon longs. Their dimensions are great for things like Stiphodon atropurpureus.

I can see how serious scapers love height but it's just not for me.
Blue Ridge Reef and Quesenek like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
But what is your favorite or ideal tank size?
If I had the space.

Thelongsnail and aquanerd13 like this.

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

&

Last edited by Edward; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: ...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like the dimensions on a 180 gallon. I eventually got the same footprint, but taller tank, and do not think that I will ever go over 24" tall again.
Quesenek likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I really like the dimensions on a 180 gallon. I eventually got the same footprint, but taller tank, and do not think that I will ever go over 24" tall again.
Large tall tanks are very impressive to see in person, but I couldn't imagine having to maintenance the tank.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Large tall tanks are very impressive to see in person, but I couldn't imagine having to maintenance the tank.
And they are much harder to get balanced with the difference in PAR from top to bottom, causing more maintenance. I agree though, I do like a tall tank to look at.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

I'm fairly new to the aquarium scene, so I haven't had much experience with bigger tanks (yet). That said, once I have the funds and find a spot for it, I'd REALLY like a 20 or 30 long. I love the looks of the river set-ups, and the possibilities of lots of plants with that footprint, as well as great fish stocking options (I prefer small fish, which is handy, lol). Someday I'd love to have a super healthy cherry shrimp community, along with 2-3 species of small fish that each have 1-3 dozen. There will be my favorite mystery snails, and some sort of bottom feeder fish as well. I'd really like a crayfish or dwarf crayfish, but that may have to happen in a different tank if I want my shrimp colony happy!

For now I'm happy learning with my 15 gallon and the 5 gallon tanks I have at home, along with the 29 gallon & 10 gallon tanks at work. I'm very lucky to get to learn so much about aquariums on work time!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
For raising shrimp or fish fry, a 20 long is hard to beat. 40 breeders are great to breed many species of fish in. A 65 (same footprint as a 40B but taller) makes a nice display tank. I definitely prefer an 18" to 12" depth in most cases. I like 6 foot tanks best if I could only have one, I suppose. With a strong current and active fish it's a great look. For a 6 foot tank, I almost prefer a 125 to a 180 because I can just reach the back with my fingers (and I'm 6'1). I think anything beyond an 18" depth on a tank that tall and you've got to be Shaq O'Neil to be able to reach every surface. But my last 180 was a reef, and there was always an upended snail or such that I had to move. In freshwater it would be way less of an issue. I have aquarium PTSD from reef keeping.

Two of my favorite current tanks are 50 gallon Fluval Osakas. They're 24x24x24" cubes on a 30x24x24" stand.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

40 breeder because I'm short and opposed to wet arm pits. Just saying wet arm pits gets a 'ewww' out of me for some reason. LOL
I also like the depth ( front to back) of a 40 breeder. I would love to have a 75 with a flowerhorn in it, but since I buy RO water, that would turn into a expensive ordeal on a weekly basis; so no big tanks for me.

I recently bought a 20 long for a plant grow out tank. Because it is shallow, it works for what I need it for.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM
Algae Grower

With 24" high 55 gallon I've always got wet armpits--standard scaping instruments aren't long enough to work well. I literally have to stand on top of my (fortunately very sturdy stand) to get down to the substrate, but it's hard to see what I'm doing. But I do love that there'll be plenty of room for Crypt Balansae & jungle val to grow to their full glory. And hopefully some Apontogen crispus, and maybe Barclaya (if I can manage to eliminate my snails) . I'm sure it'll look stunning with a full grown pair of angels and their young.

Maybe my next tank will be a long & low grow out tank that'll be easier to scape.......
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 55 and a 29; the 29 is going to become a 40 breeder over the next few weeks.

I find that the 55 is quite difficult to scape with the 12" front to back depth.

The 40 breeder has me excited to scape with good ratios of L W and H. I feel that will quickly become my favorite.

I would probably like a 75 over the 55, but have not tried it yet!

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode