North California, Driftwood Collection Places. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question North California, Driftwood Collection Places.

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyone around here who knows places in North California, specifically 100 miles radius around Sacramento, where I could collect driftwood for my aquarium without breaking the law.

I hope someone can pin point me to some good locations. I don't mind driving.

I hope this thread will be helpful for other people in the area looking for driftwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm afraid that I can't be too helpful with specifics, due to lack of being in the area, but I might throw in some thoughts on collecting, in general.
First stop is to explain that I DO NOT tolerate, nor encourage breaking the rules! But then I also favor making sure the rules are clearly understood, so that I can work within those rules. Many of the rules are written in such a way that they sound like something is totally ruled out, when in fact, some leeway is expected. Consider that many places have rules stating that one cannot "disturb the soil". Does that mean that one cannot take a walk and scuff his feet? Certainly not, so there is a grey area that we all deal with as users and enforcement. So we need to look a bit deeper and at times, that means asking the local folks what is acceptable and what is not.
I have worked and been a volunteer in several spots across the country and there is one common item in most places. They appreciate folks who try to find out what the rules mean and try to follow them without debate, fussing or complaint! So when you find a spot that has something you might want to collect but the rules seem to say "no", it is sometimes really worthwhile to simply ask the person at that site and get a clear understanding of what is expected.
Some species of manzanita are highly debated in California and the rules are often read as totally ruling out any collection. But if you ask a ranger in the campgrounds where they stack dead wood out for campfires, you may find them totally agreeable to taking a couple sticks home for the tank. That doesn't mean you should expect to take a truck full home to sell but they may find it fine to take some home versus burning it in the campfire!
Ask in a courteous and respectful way of a fellow who is not already overworked, and you may find legal collecting much easier. if he says "no", accept it, but if he says "fine", you have no problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manzanita campground.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	883203  

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You made a good point which actually came to be true. Some time ago I called the main office of California State Rangers and asked about driftwood collection place and the guy on the phone replied with anger that I should not touch any driftwood in any park. Later I started researching more online and I found a park that does annual driftwood clean ups with crews of volunteers. That park has a driftwood problem because there is a dam on the river that passes through the park. Obviously the driftwood cannot pass though the dam so it accumulates in huge quantities. All though it wasn't the season I still thought to my self that I should go and ask. If there is a pace that might allow it then this should be it. So I drove there this weekend and asked the rangers that were collecting money at the gate and they said YES, collection is allow from the beach. There was so much of it, I filled up my car's trunk will all kinds of nice piece.
EdWiser likes this.

Tags
california, collection, driftwood, places, sacramento

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode