Need advise please - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advise please

I was planing on 12 gallon low tech tank, I have the tank, the Asta 120 fresh water light, Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Power Filter, heater and DIY CO2 kit, also the dirt substrate and few rocks and some wood. But unfortunately I been laid off work before I buy the plants, my question is can I start the tank with what I have on hand and plant once I restart work maybe couple of weeks hopefully, or that's not suggested to do.
Please help me out.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyewiz View Post
I was planing on 12 gallon low tech tank, I have the tank, the Asta 120 fresh water light, Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Power Filter, heater and DIY CO2 kit, also the dirt substrate and few rocks and some wood. But unfortunately I been laid off work before I buy the plants, my question is can I start the tank with what I have on hand and plant once I restart work maybe couple of weeks hopefully, or that's not suggested to do.
Please help me out.

Thank you
Plants can be put in anytime you want. If you are planning on having fish, it would be a good idea to start your setup now in order to get your tank cycled before adding the fish, which can take ~3 weeks. You have to be careful about rocks and wood. It can be detrimental if you are just picking them up in the yard.

You can search this forum for "fishless cycling", "rocks" and "wood" to understand these aspects better.

If I'm seeing the correct data for your light, it is a very intense light, so you should also use this time to learn how to dial in your CO2 levels so they are consistently at about 30 ppm. You'll also want to explore fertilizers. I'd suggest you look up the PPS system as well as the Estimative Index system to decide which one you will use.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your time explaining I will check them out and hope it will help me.

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your talking actual real soil/real composted dirt for substrate you need to plant heavily at set up or you’ll just end up with a tank full of algae.

Even with manufactured soil ball type substrate you really should plant heavily at fill up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
If your talking actual real soil/real composted dirt for substrate you need to plant heavily at set up or you’ll just end up with a tank full of algae.

Even with manufactured soil ball type substrate you really should plant heavily at fill up.
Oh ok, in that case I have no choice then to wait.

Thank you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyewiz View Post
Oh ok, in that case I have no choice then to wait.

Thank you
Not necessarily. In a tank with no fish and no plants, you'll be able to easily kill the algae before adding them, but it is true that you will be getting algae no matter what you decide. Unfortunately, it's part of the learning curve when entering this hobby.

if you decide to set it up without plants, don't use your light. This will help in minimizing algae.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Not necessarily. In a tank with no fish and no plants, you'll be able to easily kill the algae before adding them, but it is true that you will be getting algae no matter what you decide. Unfortunately, it's part of the learning curve when entering this hobby.

if you decide to set it up without plants, don't use your light. This will help in minimizing algae.
Cool will do that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode