I have never seen this in an aquarium... - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have never seen this in an aquarium...

Looking for advise- One of my tanks has only what I can describe as 'raised white dots'
  • They are about the size of Carob sea sand. Originally I thought- that is what they were- just some loose carabsea substrate.....but getting them off takes some elbow grease
  • They have no odor, and dont seem to be 'alive'... however I didnt exam one under a scope
  • They dont seem to move... they just appear?
  • When you pop them off with a razor or green scrubby- they leave behind a ring where they once were attached.

Now they seem to be forming in other areas like the hardscape- so I thought maybe a calcium buildup?
My water is a bit harder (8.0) but with my CO2 is stays at 7.4
I do very minimal water changes- tank is in need of maintenance- I was just preoccupied with my new tank

Phosphates, etc are all normal, I dose thrive twice a week

There are about 20 of them now in the tank. I took some photos, sorry about the exterior of my glass- lol. I need to clean it off:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 8.32.10 AM.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	883083  

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Planted Member

The only thing ive encountered like that is Cory eggs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
The only thing ive encountered like that is Cory eggs
I dont have corys.... my thought might be eggs too, but they are ROCK hard and the same inhabitants have been in this tank. Non of my other tanks have them-

The tank is stocked as as follows:
2 Endlers, and 5 fry
A few amano shrimp
2 cherry shrimps (I think)
1 Oto
2 nertite snails and a couple assassin snails

I have also had a huge problem with my AR melting... Just one day decided 'im going to melt'.... so I bought new and it melted in a matter of days... so strange. But my other plants are very happy. Could it be related?

BUMP: now that I look, there is maybe 50 of them... thats a lot of white dots to deal with. They dont pop off easily, they are hard stuck.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

A quick google reveals they may be nerite eggs
https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...33/#post551796
https://www.google.com/search?q=neri...=2133&bih=1041

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

They are definitely nerite snail eggs. They won't hatch because they need brackish water for that. But they will lay them everywhere. Check your glass at the substrate level, they like to lay them there a lot. Then when you lower the gravel in an area they are uncovered. Also to ks.... Love to lay them on rocks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That was a guess for me/ but I thought they needed brackish water? I guess I’m getting rid of my nerite snails as I can’t keep up with all these white dots...

Strange it’s only in one tank- my other 6 are fine. Maybe they got triggered by the hardwater? Excess nutrients? As it is very heavily planted.

Any solution to remove them?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post

Just scrubbing. Honestly I don't bother with removing them. I am not sure what triggers the laying. My snails seem to go through waves. Long periods of nothing then a dozen or so will show up at once.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was also thinking snail eggs and that is where I go for the metal paint scraper which holds a razor blade as it is hard and sharp enough to easily get in under and remove them as well as the ring it leaves. I have really hard water and the scraper comes in handy in lots of ways to remove the hard crusty stuff that any bubbles will leave on glass covers. One word of warning is that we need to be really careful when we get near the corner silicone as the blade will also lift them really easy, so I go parallel and keep my finger running down the corner to assure I don't get too close.
I like something of this type as they are designed to get paint off glass without scratching:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-Tool...1-5-in/3168621
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That was a guess for me/ but I thought they needed brackish water? I guess I’m getting rid of my nerite snails as I can’t keep up with all these white dots...

Strange it’s only in one tank- my other 6 are fine. Maybe they got triggered by the hardwater? Excess nutrients? As it is very heavily planted.

They usually go away by themselves if Nerite eggs (which I do believe is correct)
Nerites will lay eggs and they do hatch but don't survive past that stage in FW...

Also it's "periodic"which is why you don't see them consistently in this and other tanks..

For me, after a usual initial "dump" of eggs it slows to a few to none..
I have about 30 Nerites in my 40b.. and "believe" few eggs atm..

I'll check since I've pretty much learned to ignore them in these overly grown tanks..

Couldn't even guess what triggers them nor do I care much... Thier benefits outweigh their cost..
It would just be more "chasing parameters"..
I've seen them clean a tank in a few days..
It's sort of amazing.
compared to what I've seen.. you seem to have few...One thing though.. is they do like heaters..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I was also thinking snail eggs and that is where I go for the metal paint scraper which holds a razor blade as it is hard and sharp enough to easily get in under and remove them as well as the ring it leaves. I have really hard water and the scraper comes in handy in lots of ways to remove the hard crusty stuff that any bubbles will leave on glass covers. One word of warning is that we need to be really careful when we get near the corner silicone as the blade will also lift them really easy, so I go parallel and keep my finger running down the corner to assure I don't get too close.
I like something of this type as they are designed to get paint off glass without scratching:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-Tool...1-5-in/3168621
Thank you for that!
I suppose what irritates me the most is on my wood- my twisted manzanita now has white specs. Understandably I am a glutten for punishment. I am intrigued to determine if an increase in certain parameters triggers them. I think I have about 60 eggs now..... that I can see.

The one (of two) I have in the tank is unique- one we jokingly call it 'Columbus' (as in christopher) as it is a daily task of putting it back in the tank..... every morning I go down and he has traveled across the room. The other nerites in every other tank are happy... never had an issue. Is this some sort of a pilgrimage to find a better laying location? (I am half joking).

One of my assassin snails has then a 'nerities snail egg' on its shell?!
Picture me perplexed.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 06-21-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Update:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sure there isn't just a really cute nerite over in the neighbor's window? Some things just seem to work at finding ways to kill themselves!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for that!
One of my assassin snails has then a 'nerities snail egg' on its shell?!
Picture me perplexed.
So can you safely keep assassin snails with nerites? I've got a bladder snail outbreak as my new tank adjusts, and did put in one small assassin. But I'd like to keep a few MTS & ramshorns around as scavengers, so am reluctant to get more and start an assassin breeding colony that would eliminate my other snails altogether.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
So can you safely keep assassin snails with nerites? I've got a bladder snail outbreak as my new tank adjusts, and did put in one small assassin. But I'd like to keep a few MTS & ramshorns around as scavengers, so am reluctant to get more and start an assassin breeding colony that would eliminate my other snails altogether.
In my opinion; yes with nertites..... My assassins never attacked my Nerites (to date in 8ish yrs). However they do take care of my 'hitch hikers' (usually 'pond' snails (bladder snail) and occasionally my MTS or ram. Im sure it depends on their size.

I guess I include a nerite, an assassin and an amano shrimp in every tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sure there isn't just a really cute nerite over in the neighbor's window? Some things just seem to work at finding ways to kill themselves!
Progression of events:
  • First is the initial tank. He was not amused and crawled out repeatedly. His tank mates didnt seem to have an issue.... so I changed him to different tank a month later.
  • Second tank, again escape artist. Other Nertites in the same tank had no issues.
  • Third tank..... same. I just deal with plopping him back in daily. 'out of the tank' (hence the name columbus). Im careful downstairs with my steps when i go to work, I find him in the strangest places, and put him back in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 3.57.04 PM.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	883097  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 3.58.43 PM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	883099  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-22-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty tanks and can understand why spots bother you..
Yea you have one weird snail..
Apparently you just have primadonna snail, nothing is good enough.
livebearerlove likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Somebody has to prove to the snail group that the world is NOT flat piece of glass? That's one long walk for a snail!
ontheedge likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode