Recycling Reef/Old Equipment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recycling Reef/Old Equipment

Hi all,

As I stated in my intro post, I am a recovering reef keeper and I am interested in diving into freshwater planted as a change of pace. I am burned out on reef keeping in general, but I am also sick of spending potentially hundreds of dollars on corals and and equipment, so I am looking to hopefully re-purpose some equipment I already have and I am looking for advice on if things will work or not, so here we go.

My intention is to set up a standard 10 gallon tank that I already have.

Tank
Standard 10 gallon, back painted black.

Heater
I have a couple of heaters, Aqueon 150w or 100w that I could use. I think the 100w heater is what fits in the 10 gallon size-wise, so I suppose I would use that if necessary for temp control.

Filtration
I have a trusty AC50 that still runs fine, and was just soaked in a vinegar mix bath and cleaned. What kind of media would be best for it? I used to get the kits that fit this filter years ago, I think it was a sponge and carbon bag? Is that still recommended, or should I be looking at Purigen or some other kind of new-tech option?

Substrate
I used 20 lbs of this in the same tank when it was saltwater: CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand. It's basically just sugar fine sand though, its been stored dry for a year. Would this be a useful cap if I decided to do soil underneath? Still learning about freshwater substrates...

Lighting
I currently have this LED light:

Wattshine 180W LED Large Angle Dimmable Full Spectrum
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thought is to turn the blue LEDs off (obviously) and turn the whites/reds/greens way down to the lowest setting possible. I have no idea what kind of PAR reading there would be for whites only turned way down, but it seems like it would be a low enough setting for this tank.

I also have this fixture:

Odyssea EVO LED Light 6x3w
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Ligh.../dp/B00N0PJM6A

If I turn off the 2 blues I would have 4x3w of white light, so 12 watts total. Maybe the better choice? Still learning about lighting requirements for plants...

That is all the equipment I can think of that I could possibly use for freshwater use. Please let me know if you think any or all of this would work for a low-tech planted 10 gallon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 AM
Planted Member

You could use every thing you have. The filter I see as the biggest issue. At 200 gallons an hour it is way too powerful for most planted 10 gallon tanks. Most planted tanks try to turn the water over 4-6 times per hour. 10 times is on the high end. That said, there are folks that use that much flow. You just need to plan appropriately.

Substrates can be decided into 3 categories. Inert (your sand is in this category), Layered (dirt tanks, clay, etc), active ( aqua soil etc).

All three grow plants just fine.

Filter media can be a sponge, ceramic rings, lava rock, combinations etc.

It's all very forgiving with lots of room for diy options.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
The AC50 is probably OK if turned to its lowest setting.

RAOK Club #55

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Everything you've got can be used. Even the filter. Just toss the old filter media and start with fresh.

I prefer to use larger AC filters so I can cram in all kinds of filter media and have room to add charcoal and Purigen when necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
... Substrates can be decided into 3 categories. Inert (your sand is in this category), Layered (dirt tanks, clay, etc), active ( aqua soil etc)...
Is the CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahama Oolite sand inert? I was under the impression that anything based on aragonite would raise the hardness of the water. For most plants that doesn't matter, but many fish are from tropical acidic softwater streams, and high hardness can stress the fish and they die if I'm not mistaken.

If anyone wants to clarify for me that would be great.

I have MTS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode