• 1 Post By tamsin
  • 1 Post By Cinnamonamon
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Filter on Old Tank and vice versa

Hello from a noob to this site :-)

I want to ask about taking a running and healthy filter from an old tank and swapping it directly over to a new tank, and placing a new filter on the old tank.

Old tank is 65 gal with a big eheim 2080 1200xl canister and an additional small canister, both well established. Lots of plants and probably tons of bacteria in substrate.
New tank is a 100 gal with previously used (somewhat dirty) substrate and a sanitized tetra ex1200 canister.
I would like to run the big eheim on the new tank, and use the new tetra on the old tank.
Qs:
1. Will i possibly lose the bacteria in old filter by running it on new tank with basically clean substrate?
2. Would placing the new filter on old tank (and possibly stirring up substrate a bit so filter sucks up some gunk) be enough to get that filter established and continue the health of that tank? Or do i need to swap some media between the filters, (which i don't really want to do because their shapes and sizes are not compatible)?

thanks so much for suggestions!

jonathan

PS Since new tank is already filled and partially planted, i think it's too late to break in the new filter by placing it on old tank for a couple of weeks before switching the Ehiem to the new tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

Putting the old filter on the new tank would be just fine, maybe let it cycle for about a week just to be sure. With the new filter I'm not sure. It should cycle fast but I'd be cautious of you have fish in there right now and maybe add some beneficial bacteria from a bottle to help out the filter. But, you should be fine.
kgbudge and Jonnyb like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Planted Member

I'd be inclined to agree with @freshwater.rain -- the new tank will likely be pretty safe, but the old tank might have an ammonia spike. What (and how many) fish/snails/shrimp do you have living in there?
Jonnyb likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the comments!

In the 65g not so much. 2 large algae eaters, 1 small pleco, pair of pearl gouramis, 1 female betta, a few medium mollie fry, a few guppies, bunch of 'pest' snails, lots of plants..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Do you have the option to run the new filter on the old tank without removing the old filter for a couple of weeks? This way you seed your new filter but keep up with the nitrogen cycle using the old filter. Once the new filter has ran for a few weeks, remove the old filter and monitor the chemistry. Seems to me like it should work just fine.
Discusluv, kgbudge and Jonnyb like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No lose noodle-like media in the canisters? That the easiest stuff to mix and match - doesn't have to be the exact same stuff. Just mix half new and half old in each.
Jonnyb likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb View Post
Hey thanks for the comments!

In the 65g not so much. 2 large algae eaters, 1 small pleco, pair of pearl gouramis, 1 female betta, a few medium mollie fry, a few guppies, bunch of 'pest' snails, lots of plants..

Like @tamsin said, moving some of the media (ceramic rings, bio balls, sponges, whatever) to the new filter and adding some new stuff to the old one would be better than switching the 65 gallon to a completely unseeded & new filter. That said, that is a pretty light load for a 65 gallon, depending on the sizes of the algae eaters. If you did shared your media between the two filters, I don't see why you couldn't also switch the filters out, if you want to.
Jonnyb likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretoctopus View Post
Do you have the option to run the new filter on the old tank without removing the old filter for a couple of weeks? This way you seed your new filter but keep up with the nitrogen cycle using the old filter. Once the new filter has ran for a few weeks, remove the old filter and monitor the chemistry. Seems to me like it should work just fine.
This is what I do.

There are situations when I do not want pre-cycled media, however. This primarily when I have a new set of juvenile discus (immune systems are very weak) am introducing to aquarium. The benefit of starting over is that no issues from the cycled tank gets introduced into the tank I am setting up. But, for most fish, this caution is not necessary.
Jonnyb likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretoctopus View Post
Do you have the option to run the new filter on the old tank without removing the old filter for a couple of weeks?
Yeah good point,
but i already filled and partly planted the new tank, so i need to run something on it already..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
No lose noodle-like media in the canisters? That the easiest stuff to mix and match - doesn't have to be the exact same stuff. Just mix half new and half old in each.
Hey thank you, guys..
Yes i think i will take your good advice and take some of the substrate pro balls and swap them with the noodles in the new filter. I can always swap them back if the appearance of the mixed stuff upsets me too much later :-).

I guess i will also add some of the gunky water from old filter into the new tank while i'm at it, as i've seen suggested here, also. And i'll be porting some of the plants over, too, so I can bring some of the gravel along with them.

cheers,

Jonathan

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-20-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode