• 1 Post By Willcooper
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By discuspaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Pre Filter from Amazon

Sup guys!

I have a Aquatop CF400 UV that I wanted to use for a shrimp (planted tank). I was thinking of using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Powkoo-Intake...s%2C188&sr=8-4

has anyone ever used this pre-filter? it looks very promising and prevents little shrimps from getting suck in the intake.

Cheers!
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
While I cant give advice, I have to say we are thinking on the same wavelength...

Not more than 5 minutes ago I bought two similar filters to the one you are considering ( in two different sizes) and was thinking "I hope at least one of these works".

I haven't used a mesh- type prefilter before, I usually use a sponge material, but thought this type may last longer.
So ill be curious what others who have used this pre-filter type have to say.

Here is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Aqualexs-Aqua...WNWM287CZ0YRVM

And welcome to TPT!
Cinnamonamon likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 AM
Planted Member

I have also only used sponges....I feel this steel mesh will eventually become too hard to clean and be garbage. Sponges are super easy to clean and for the price of these intake filters you can get 25 intake sponges that will out last by way longer than this steel mesh.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

These look super cool! I wonder if they're fine enough mesh to keep new shrimp from being sucked up? In some tanks the prefilter sponge is a little unsightly...
Discusluv likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
These look super cool! I wonder if they're fine enough mesh to keep new shrimp from being sucked up? In some tanks the prefilter sponge is a little unsightly...

It definitely looks fine enough to keep anything out! Cleaning would be slightly more annoying than a sponge pre-filter it seems because you canít just squeeze this out. Looks like the spray feature on a sink would do the trick though. I may get one of these to see how I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
It definitely looks fine enough to keep anything out! Cleaning would be slightly more annoying than a sponge pre-filter it seems because you canít just squeeze this out. Looks like the spray feature on a sink would do the trick though. I may get one of these to see how I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I was thinking of using a toothbrush to clean! let me know how it goes for you if you end up ordering.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you're wrong about the price... yall just order the expensive ones :/. Shipping might take a while but for 1/5-1/10th the price... I haven't actually put one into use yet but I got a couple to mess around with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969821913.html
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have JungleShrimp's version on every power and canister filter I own. They aren't too bad to clean except when bits of java moss get on them, so far regular tank mulm and such rinse right off. I have an Aqua Clear 20 on a 5 gallon that's thick with shrimp and believe if fry could go through it my population would not be nearly so high. Can run take a picture of a dirty one if anyone wants to see. They do gunk up every few days in my own tanks.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
I think you're wrong about the price... yall just order the expensive ones :/. Shipping might take a while but for 1/5-1/10th the price... I haven't actually put one into use yet but I got a couple to mess around with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969821913.html
Well, Ill just tell myself there is a difference in the quality of materials. Easier to justify that way...
HPaul likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Iíve got the sponge pre filter. I like it because itís a good source of bacteria. The mesh version wouldnít do that. I keep a spare sponge to clean my tank. I slip the spare on to vacuum and stir up gunk. I put the regular sponge in a bag while I clean. After the water settles down, I put the regular sponge that has the good filtering bacteria back in the tank. I usually take that opportunity to clean the old sponge. Iíve found that itís easier to clean in the ziplock baggie.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

Just get some Sponge prefilters. They are so cheap and easy to use and clean.
Ebay has lots of em, often in multi-packs for just a few dollars including shipping.
I can't post the link.
I bought a pack of several coarse sponge prefilters and they work great.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use coarse sponge pre-filters. I've never used the SS mesh, so I con't comment on them. I do think sponge gives the potential for added BB and they do clean easily. As s stop gap, I'd use nylon stocking material.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking of using them like LRBretz on youtube uses them which is as the end of his return lines from auto water change so that the water doesn't blast his substrate around... I will still be using sponges for my prefiltering :/
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Been using these Fluval Edge fine mesh pre-filters for years - inexpensive, last a long time, very efficient with frequent rinsing, safe for baby shrimp, and will fit many filter uptake tubes. ( All AC filters, except the smallest one - the 20).
Usually always available at any PetSmart store. Under $3. here in Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Tags
filter, planted tank, prefilter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode