Seachem Prime - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Prime

Seachem says that its Prime product can be added to the water in a tank and then the chlorinated water can be directly poured in (one has to add enough for the whole tank). Now, my question is if in a planted tank will this kill the beneficial bacteria? Do any of you do this and still have lush planted tanks?

I know it is safer to add the product to a bucket list f tap water and then pour that, but I want to use the Python system and fill the tank from the faucet during water changes.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Tons of people add dechlor products like Prime and Safe to their tank after/as they're filling. Depending upon the species you keep, it's usually fine. I've never had an issue - not even with some sensitive shrimp.

Feel free to use the search function here on the forum to see how others do it. I don't have the links handy but there are several useful threads.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonManuel View Post
...I want to use the Python system and fill the tank from the faucet during water changes.

Thank you.
I do what SWS stated. I start to fill the tank and add the prime to the tank as the water is running from the sink thru my python, never had a problem. The only difference I could see is if you add it before hand you only have to add prime for the volume of water your replacing, when you add it to the tank your dosing the whole tank, but that's usually a minor difference in cost and usually not worth considering.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you both. I read other posts but havenít found one the precisely addressed this. Now, I reassured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I do what SWS stated. I start to fill the tank and add the prime to the tank as the water is running from the sink thru my python, never had a problem. The only difference I could see is if you add it before hand you only have to add prime for the volume of water your replacing, when you add it to the tank your dosing the whole tank, but that's usually a minor difference in cost and usually not worth considering.
What? Why do you have to dose the whole tank?
You should dose the amount of water added to the tank only, the rest of the water doesn't have to be declorinated since it was declorinated already.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What? Why do you have to dose the whole tank?
You should dose the amount of water added to the tank only, the rest of the water doesn't have to be declorinated since it was declorinated already.
I think you need to re-read my post

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I think you need to re-read my post
I am sorry if I miss understood you but I just read it again and understood the same thing. Maybe it's something about how you worded your thoughts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
The way Asteroid worded it was just fine.

That's not only how many hobbyists use Prime, it's how the manufacturer says it can be used.
Asteroid likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am sorry if I miss understood you but I just read it again and understood the same thing. Maybe it's something about how you worded your thoughts.
If you add water to your tank using buckets, you can add enough Prime into the bucket to cover just the amount of water in the bucket before adding to your tank.

But if you use a python (or something similar) to add water from your faucet directly to the tank (i.e., the water is not "Primed" before going into your tank), you would add enough Prime to the tank for the entire tank volume. I usually add Prime to the tank before the water flows, but have also added it while the water is flowing, and on occasion, even after the tank is full. I've had no problems with any of these methods.
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
But if you use a python (or something similar) to add water from your faucet directly to the tank (i.e., the water is not "Primed" before going into your tank), you would add enough Prime to the tank for the entire tank volume.

You sure about that? I do water changes mostly using Pythons, and just estimate how much water I'm replacing and add that much. On a 125, I typically take out 20 gallons a month. I've never added more than 40 drops of Prime (to treat 20 gallons) when doing so. No harm would come from adding 240 drops I suppose, would just seem a waste of product.

Edit: I see that Seachem does indeed recommend that. Not going to start following their directions at this point, but that is what they recommend.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 06-21-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Adding a thought
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
If you add water to your tank using buckets, you can add enough Prime into the bucket to cover just the amount of water in the bucket before adding to your tank.

But if you use a python (or something similar) to add water from your faucet directly to the tank (i.e., the water is not "Primed" before going into your tank), you would add enough Prime to the tank for the entire tank volume. I usually add Prime to the tank before the water flows, but have also added it while the water is flowing, and on occasion, even after the tank is full. I've had no problems with any of these methods.

Seems right but some reason sounds confusing..or up for the wrong interpretation.

Quote:
Seachem Prime
If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume.
https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...g-instructions

At 5ml /50 gal (normal dose) there seems little harm in say dosing the whole tank (5mL) even if only adding say 10gal..

People have OD'd Prime but more than likely at over 5x the above 5mL/50gal dose..

Not sure I'd ever go up to 25mL/50 gal dosing..as the above "real emergency" level is..

As far as I know it just detox's it but the nitrogen is still available to the bacteria..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for this thread. In the past I'd always had smaller tanks that I filled from a bucket--and back in pre-chloramine days you could just let it sit overnight for the chlorine could gas off. So I wondered how discus owners who do 50% daily changes in multiple large tanks did that.
Mystery solved.....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seachem's advice seems very counter-intuitive to me but they are in the business of selling you another bottle I suppose. I can say with confidence that dosing to dechlorinate only the amount of water being replaced is perfectly effective even on the most delicate fish I've ever kept.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

This is exactly correct. i'm not really sure why it's confusing. As per Prime instructions:

"If adding directly to aquarium base dose on aquarium volume."

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I found an old bottle of Aquarium Product's discontinued dechlorinator Genesis. It is the same chemical dilution of sodium thiophosphate as Prime, just twice the strength. Their recommendation is one drop per gallon, with no increased dose when added directly to the tank. My suspicion is that Seachem is erring on the side of caution. In heavily chlorinated taps or those that use chloramine one would think the risk of putting it directly in the tank would be significantly higher. Having more chlorine neutralizer in those situations would only be helpful. So never mind my mini-rant earlier. Do it however you are comfortable. Adding it only for replacement water works for me and I see no reason to change what's worked, but no harm in using more than needed. I'd imagine the dose it would take to hurt your livestock would be ridiculous.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode