2Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeTheGuppy
  • 1 Post By GeorgeTheGuppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
SAE ate adult RCS?

Yesterday I looked over from my computer to see my SAE munching on chunks of cherry shrimp exoskeleton. My first thought was that it was just a molted exoskeleton, but there were blotches of red on it, which I've never seen before. Immediately after, the SAE went right back to buzzing around the tank eating algae, as usual.

This morning, I saw the SAE enthusiastically munching on more shrimp remains in the tank, and I can only find two of my previously six adult cherry shrimp. The only other fish in the tank are six ember tetras and two pygmy cories, neither of which could take on a full-size shrimp.

I've heard of all sorts of negative SAE behaviors, but never eating adult shrimp, and especially not in one who is a model citizen otherwise. I googled it, and I quickly found a video of an SAE hunting down adult cherry shrimp.

Be warned. I'm taking an SAE off the stocking list for my upcoming community tank.
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have one in my tank that tries my patience continuously... its a bully. The only fish in the tank it doesn't mess with are my 8 " geophagus.
I bought it and another during a bout with BBA- bad mistake. It killed the other and has not eaten anything other than what I drop in the tank. Ive heard some have been successful in getting there's to eat algae; but, not in my case.

Many experienced on this forum have recommended working on factors contributing to algae growth instead of getting a fish to "deal with it." This is sound advice.

I wouldn't be surprised at it eating shrimp - not at all.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What a shame, I loved my SAE. When I'm cleaning the tank, he'll come up and nibble on my fingers, even swimming through my semi-closed hand. I'm not sure I've ever had a friendlier fish, and I love watching his constant foraging (especially when he really rips big pieces of algae off).

And he's been a model citizen until now.

I was hoping all the bad behaviors attributed to the SAE were just due to species confusion, but now I'm wondering if that isn't the case. Although, I suspect mine is not langei, the "correct" SAE.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
What a shame, I loved my SAE. When I'm cleaning the tank, he'll come up and nibble on my fingers, even swimming through my semi-closed hand. I'm not sure I've ever had a friendlier fish, and I love watching his constant foraging (especially when he really rips big pieces of algae off).

And he's been a model citizen until now.

I was hoping all the bad behaviors attributed to the SAE were just due to species confusion, but now I'm wondering if that isn't the case. Although, I suspect mine is not langei, the "correct" SAE.
It may very well be misidentified. I have never looked to verify if it is the "good one."
I wish I had one like yours; that would be enjoyable. Its okay. He is fine--- and in 3 decades of fish-keeping Ive never taken a fish to a LFS because of bad behavior. He will live his life out in health, one way or another.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
It may very well be misidentified. I have never looked to verify if it is the "good one."
I think I recall you posting in my SAE identification thread, but one easy way to be fairly confident you have langei is to look for a dark spot between the anus and the pelvic fins. Mine swims up the glass pretty regularly, and I can't see anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
He is fine--- and in 3 decades of fish-keeping Ive never taken a fish to a LFS because of bad behavior.
I think I've only ever taken back large clownfish. They're not so great once they're big enough to make you bleed if your hand enters their territory.

By the way, just noticed you're in Elk Grove - I'm in the Sacramento area too! (Well, for the summer.) What LFS do you go to? I used to go to Aqua Life in Rocklin a lot, but they have really gone downhill. Now I go to Your Reef for saltwater and Aquarium Depot for freshwater. I love Your Reef, but Aquarium Depot has a pretty average freshwater selection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode