Aqueon 75G corners not touching stand - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aqueon 75G corners not touching stand

I’m getting ready to set up a new tank and when I put it on the stand I noticed that it rocks from the front left to the rear right. The stand top is level across. Is it the tank? Looking for recommendations on what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

That sounds really bad. How sure are you the stand top is completely flat? Level doesn't mean anything in this case, flat is what counts. You need it flat in every direction. Flat from one side to the other and flat from one diagonal to the other etc. If you put a straight edge that reaches the entire way across your stand on top, it should be in contact with the stand all along it's length no matter where you turn it

If this is the case you and your aquarium rocks then you have a defective aquarium. But more likely you have a bad stand.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
That sounds really bad. How sure are you the stand top is completely flat? Level doesn't mean anything in this case, flat is what counts. You need it flat in every direction. Flat from one side to the other and flat from one diagonal to the other etc. If you put a straight edge that reaches the entire way across your stand on top, it should be in contact with the stand all along it's length no matter where you turn it

If this is the case you and your aquarium rocks then you have a defective aquarium. But more likely you have a bad stand.
I've taken a straightedge from side to side and diagonal. It does not have an gaps underneath it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

That's bad for the aquarium then since it's likely the culprit. As a final test, any chance you can put the aquarium on a known flat surface? Stone kitchen counters (granite, marble, etc) are dead flat. If it rocks on those you can be certain it's the aquarium that is defective.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A tank not setting totally flat may still be okay but one which tends to rock in any way is not good at all as it puts such stress on things as we fill it. They can last for months but often it does wind up breaking a panel or seam and dumping the whole load in the floor.
So you've tested the stand and not found a problem, so step two is to turn the tank upside down to find what is up there. Not quite as easy as testing the stand, but then, logic says that if the stand is flat and true, the tank has to be not right? Some options are easier than others and need different tools.
IF we have a truly flat panel that we can trust, we can lay it on the tank bottom and see where it doesn't right. To check the panel being totally right, try it placed one way and then turn the panel over and around to see that you don't just have a panel that is warped in the same way as the tank.
One of the really easy ways to check but requiring the right tool is using a lazer level that shoots a bright line out so that you can adjust it to shoot the line at some convenient height above the tank bottom and then go around using s "spacer" like a block of wood to be sure the line is exactly the same at all point around the tank bottom.
The basic problem may be as simple as the plastic trim on the tank not being placed fully on the glass.
Blue Ridge Reef and Immortal1 like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
At risk of giving potentially catastrophic advice, I would contact the store before doing what I am about to suggest and see if they are interested in replacing either your tank, stand, or combo. And I'd feel a lot better if I had photo before saying what I am about to.

There are a few potential "spots" that can be keeping these from lining up. The most common @PlantedRich pointed out, the tank has slightly pulled away from the frame. This is also best case scenario. When I was setting up my store, I built two 125 gallon tanks into the wall. Neither set flush on the hardware store stands I had bought for them and one was a good 1/2" off when I pinned the opposite corner. I moved the empty tanks to a manufacturer's stand, and the problem wasn't quite as bad, but still existed. I called my wholesalers and asked them. After a few days a Marineland rep told me to set them up with camping mats under them and he'd make sure that they got replaced should there be an issue. Long story short, I began reading that a foam mat can put pressure on the tempered bottom glass and that you should never use them unless they are less than 1/2" thick. A few more movings of the tank and trips to stores and I found thin ones. I filled up both tanks. That was in 2007 and both tanks are still up and running today.

But before even considering that, can you turn it upside down and lightly tap on the "high" corner with a rubber mallet and see if there's any give? Last thing in the world I want to do is say, "Oh, it's fine" because something similar happened to me when I can't even get a visual of your tank and what's going on.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice, I bought some weather stripping and ran it along the edge of the aquarium as suggested by some others. It does not rock now which I figured but still not sold on the idea.... I filled it with 20 gallons to see as a test tonight. The stand is a homemade stand that has plywood on top and the stand design is based off of one of KING OF DIY videos. I think tomorrow Iím going to try finding a flat surface and then maybe try a different piece of plywood.

Here are some pics. I wish I could upload the video as a better example. Just a little sketched out as my biggest tank before was a 29G that sits on a towel on top of a dresser...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A4E8E97-E49E-468C-BAC1-4E0655E2C8D2_1560908167099.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	883029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	68C1795E-7CEC-4C33-86F9-58D5CE76CA5B_1560908185678.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	883031  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-19-2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Planted Member

What are you using as a straight edge to test flatness and how long is it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
What are you using as a straight edge to test flatness and how long is it?
its a 4ft long level with the bubble readers on them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As an alternate but one I don't "really" favor too much, one can also look at shimming the tank. One can do okay with shims but it does take some thought and it can also gradually let you down over the long term, but still better than trusting filling the tank and simply hoping it doesn't go fatally bad!
Shims do best when the top of them is level as it doesn't create the stress on the trim/glass that we get when a single shim is used which leaves the glass setting on a sloping shim. To get a totally flat top surface on shims, we need to use two at all places by placing the narrow portions together and then sliding them together to raise the amount shimmed. That may sound nuts and difficult but when you look at a pair of shims, it will be easy to see how to get a level top on them. The reason being that the glass gets much more support from a flat surface and that makes it farless likely to cut into the shim and gradually lose the support we want.
Overall, I do not like shims as well as getting two flat surfaces together but there are times when we have accept a "less than perfect" solution. My problem with adding spongy material is the amount of pressure a 75 puts on that spongy stuff. I don't feel like we get true support but more of a feel good item as the 75 can just simply push the support out of the way? I also find that I drop so much water on the spongy that it creates a problem for the underlying wood as it takes so long to dry when I can't get to it to wipe up the spill. It can look better, but then if it damages the wood over time, I'm not happy there, for sure.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

What are your options regarding returning this tank? Seriously a lot of this is information on how to make do but I wouldn't hesitate to take this back to the store if you bought retail and recently. Barring that I would contact the tank manufacturer regarding warranty.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally found a true flat and level surface and was relieved that the tank is not the problem. The one corner I am able to slide 3 pieces of printer paper under but that does not really concern me. Time to investigate the stand and go for a piece of hardwood 3/4" plywood for the top to see if it remedies the stand issue. I guess level does not always mean flat as well. haha
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 PM

What is the stand sitting on? Assuming it was built square, the top can only be as flat and level as what it is sitting on. Concrete floors are almost never flat, and most floors have some kind of sloping or warpage.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode