How to Download an Entire Thread W/Photos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
How to Download an Entire Thread W/Photos?

Does anyone know how to easily download a entire thread, with photos? Any format would be fine, but ideally something that could be read on an iPad.

Ideally the method would download the entire thread at once, without having to downing each page separately.

I have some downtime coming up in remote locations without internet access, and I'd like to be able catch on some threads, so if anyone could help out with this it would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Never tried one personally but one of these internet archiver tools may work for you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehac...1794802605/amp
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

The easy way is to print as PDF.
Ctrl + P then save as PDF.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
The easy way is to print as PDF.
Ctrl + P then save as PDF.
Unfortunately this dosn't download the entire thread, only the page that's open. Some thread have a lot of pages, so one would have to download each page separately. Plus it doesn't format correctly.

I'm looking for a means to download the entire thread at once, including the linked photos.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Never tried one personally but one of these internet archiver tools may work for you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehac...1794802605/amp
Same issues, these download a page, but not download the entire site. One of them claims to be able to download the entire website, but I'd need a few servers to download the entire TPT site!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
You're not going to be able to download the entire site. That's a quick way to find yourself permanently banned from the forum, unfortunately. (And it's clearly not something you're trying to do.)

The only real option you have is to save the threads you want to read and delete them when you're finished, knowing that they're (obviously) not your property.

You can change your forum settings to view more posts per page, reducing the number of pages you'd need to save as a PDF. So tinker through your control panel and give that a shot.

Can also change the way you "print" or save the PDF by tinkering with your settings (computer side, not forum side) to make it look more like it does on your screen with proper formatting.

It can't be that big of a hassle unless you're trying to save dozens and dozens of threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Unfortunately this dosn't download the entire thread, only the page that's open. Some thread have a lot of pages, so one would have to download each page separately. Plus it doesn't format correctly.

I'm looking for a means to download the entire thread at once, including the linked photos.

Bump:

Same issues, these download a page, but not download the entire site. One of them claims to be able to download the entire website, but I'd need a few servers to download the entire TPT site!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You're not going to be able to download the entire site. That's a quick way to find yourself permanently banned from the forum, unfortunately. (And it's clearly not something you're trying to do.)

The only real option you have is to save the threads you want to read and delete them when you're finished, knowing that they're (obviously) not your property.

You can change your forum settings to view more posts per page, reducing the number of pages you'd need to save as a PDF. So tinker through your control panel and give that a shot.

Can also change the way you "print" or save the PDF by tinkering with your settings (computer side, not forum side) to make it look more like it does on your screen with proper formatting.

It can't be that big of a hassle unless you're trying to save dozens and dozens of threads.
Thanks SWS for your response. No worries, I don't plan on downloading the entire site!

How does one save a thread? It's not clear to me what you mean by this.

Currently, the easiest I've found to obtain what I want is to increase the number of posts per page to the maximum of 40. Then I cut and paste these into a Word document. The Word document file is easier to format than a PDF file. But the problem is there's some Tank Journal Treads that have over 2000 posts, so at 40 posts a time I'd have to cut and paste, then move to the next page, and do this over and over for 50 times, which to me would be somewhat of a hassle.

Also, if what I proposing to do is not acceptable, please let me know. My intent is I'll have idle down time away from an internet connection, and this would allow me to catch up on some threads that I've always wanted to go through and read up on.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Saving = "printing" or saving as a PDF.

I just tested a few longer threads and PDF seems like the way to go. Worked well on both the latest versions of Chrome OS and macOS.

If there's a specific (long) thread you're interested in saving, feel free to send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out on my end.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

I use this app in my web dev work.
SiteSucker by Rick Cranisky https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sitesucker/id346896838

Copy url and stand back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode