Starting over - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So if anyone has seen my last few post, they know Iíve been having a lot of problems with my 35 gallon tank.

I had 6 of my bettas die from dropsy without reason, and more then half my Neon Tetras Disappear.

Small case of ick on my remaining

I thought I finally had it under control. The ick has gone, and my tetras were no longer going anywhere. But then I woke up to my aquarium 2/3rds empty.... because of a canister filter came undone.

I refilled my tank, tested the ammonia levels to make sure my media wasnít dead, and I was lucky safe.

However, my last betta has bloat, and I canít find yet another tetra. The bloat turned into dropsy.

I honestly donít know what to do at this point.

I was thinking about tearing down the whole tank, and starting over, incase there is a parasite in the tank, though I had installed a uvc, so Iíd be surprised.

How do I sanitize all my plants, and gravel and tubing?

Do you guys think this is the best way to go?

After doing tones of research Iím pretty sure my fishes had Columnaris. The suggest method for getting rid of it in an aquarium is of course meds, unavailable in Canada. I did find an article that recommend salt. Has any one tried this?

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...atment.263058/

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-16-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Before treating for Columnaris, (if it's not 100% for sure) I would treat for the illnesses that can be confirmed such as the dropsy and the ick in a separate quarantine tank.

While the fish are going through their treatment, I would look at doing more maintenance on the main tank.
I don't know what your current routine is, but this is what I do:
A minimum once a week water change of 50% or more, making sure any waste is gone from the top of the substrate and water column.
Cleaning your filter and media and any other items like powerheads and heaters in a bucket with tank water every water change.

I find that most illnesses fish have that didn't come with them from the LFS/farm stem from poor tank maintenance so it is good to stay on top of things.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Every week I do a water test, If anything is off, or my nitrates are too high I do a 25% water change and gravel vac. My parameters have never been out of wack.

The ick is gone, I only brought that up as a side point.

But I had 7 bettas all get dropsy in that tank. I’m fairly confident I’m not over feeding them, but I’m not perfect, maybe I was. There was a post that describes a ‘fast strain’ of Columnaris, that fits so well
With what happened to me. (I’ll link below)

I just don’t know what to do, every time a fish dies, it breaks my heart.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post
Every week I do a water test, If anything is off, or my nitrates are too high I do a 25% water change and gravel vac. My parameters have never been out of wack.

The ick is gone, I only brought that up as a side point.

But I had 7 bettas all get dropsy in that tank. Iím fairly confident Iím not over feeding them, but Iím not perfect, maybe I was. There was a post that describes a Ďfast strainí of Columnaris, that fits so well
With what happened to me. (Iíll link below)

I just donít know what to do, every time a fish dies, it breaks my heart.

Yeah I just lost two fish yesterday, one to jumping and another got caught between my filter intake and the aquarium without me knowing, it really is depressing.

It's all a learning experience so I try not to get too down on myself when things go bad.

I would advise you start doing water changes every week of about 50%. Your water parameters may be fine, but the illnesses tell me that things might not be as clean as the parameters are saying they are.

What kind of tank is this? Is it just a standard low tech planted tank, walstad, dirted, high tech?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It’s a 35 gallon low tech planted tank.

At its highest, it was 2 Dwarf Frogs, 9 tetras, 6 female bettas.

All the bettas died, and only 3 tetras are left. The frogs are fine
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Itís a 35 gallon low tech planted tank.

At its highest, it was 2 Dwarf Frogs, 9 tetras, 6 female bettas.

All the bettas died, and only 3 tetras are left. The frogs are fine
Okay just another question that should cross out any unintentional ammonia sources, you don't use diy osmocote root tabs do you?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This almost makes me think itís something like contamination from rocks or wood thatís not tank safe or your water supply is not good. Maybe even some outside contamination from strong cleaning chemicals being used in room the aquariums in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Okay just another question that should cross out any unintentional ammonia sources, you don't use diy osmocote root tabs do you?
I did add root tabs, but they were seachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
This almost makes me think it’s something like contamination from rocks or wood that’s not tank safe or your water supply is not good. Maybe even some outside contamination from strong cleaning chemicals being used in room the aquariums in.
The wood is Grapewood, the rocks are lava rock and store bought aquarium rocks. I bought the aquarium used, and the guy mentioned he tried cleaning the tank. Which was weird, because it was FILTHY! Before I put anything in it, I scrubbed it with Barkeepr’s friend (which is aquarium safe on empty tanks), and re siliconed it.

I also boiled all the rocks and the wood. I added a carbon pad to my canister two days ago, just incase. :S
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I did add root tabs, but they were seachem

The wood is Grapewood, the rocks are lava rock and store bought aquarium rocks. I bought the aquarium used, and the guy mentioned he tried cleaning the tank. Which was weird, because it was FILTHY! Before I put anything in it, I scrubbed it with Barkeeprís friend (which is aquarium safe on empty tanks), and re siliconed it.

I also boiled all the rocks and the wood. I added a carbon pad to my canister two days ago, just incase. :S
Seachem shouldn't be adding anything bad to the water so you should be fine, I was just asking to make sure you weren't using diy osmocote root tabs because they can add a lot of ammonia to the water.

Everything else seems to check out, you don't have an over crowded tank even at the previous stock levels so I don't think stress from that is causing illness. The only thing I can see being a cause for stress/bad health is the water quality so like my other posts said just look at the maintenance and you should see the illnesses stop happening.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My neons weren’t looking great when I got them. A little bloated, and stringy poop.

I was doing 10% water changes daily. Shortly after my betta caught ich. I assumed the daily water changes was causing stress, so I stopped.
Shortly after that she got the dropsy.

I was suggested to remove the fish let the tank sit for a week. Apparently any parasites will die off once the hosts are gone, if it is parasites
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
My neons weren’t looking great when I got them. A little bloated, and stringy poop.

I was doing 10% water changes daily. Shortly after my betta caught ich. I assumed the daily water changes was causing stress, so I stopped.
Shortly after that she got the dropsy.

I was suggested to remove the fish let the tank sit for a week. Apparently any parasites will die off once the hosts are gone, if it is parasites
It's always worth a try, it does sound like your neons brought something into the system if everything started going down hill since you introduced them.

It may also be good to dose api general cure while the fish are in quarantine just to be sure. I'm not entirely sure it is safe for the frogs though, you might want to wait until they can go back into the main tank before doing the recommended dose of general cure for the fish.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I live in Canada. There are no antibiotics available without going through a vet, which is impossible.

I have to go drug free. So frustrating!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I live in Canada. There are no antibiotics available without going through a vet, which is impossible.

I have to go drug free. So frustrating!
Wow I had no idea Canada banned fish medications, that really is unfortunate.
On further research I also didn't realize general cure was an antibiotic that supposedly people use to treat themselves without needing a doctors prescription.

I'm not sure what to recommend because you can only do so much to ensure good fish health, but if you go out and buy fish they can come with literally anything from the farms and the LFS that would need to be treated in your own quarantine only you can't do anything about it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The ban was actually due to farming.

Bacteria actually learns to build a resistance to antibiotics. Farmers were treating pigs with wildly strong antibiotics, which has started making treatment of human bacterial infection much harder to treat. So most countries have banned all over the counter animal antibiotics.

Makes my situation a lot harder

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode