Foam filters when off - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Foam filters when off

I run three internal Top Fin MF-10 filters in my tank, scheduled for 2 on, 1 off, each offset by one hour. What happens with my foam bacteria when the filter is not running?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
If it's just an hour? Likely not a lot.

The bigger question is why you're doing that. So... Why are you doing that with your filters?
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Foam filters when off

It is only a 20 gallon tank, so I have more filtration than I need. I run the schedule for a few reasons.

The hour off lets stuff drop from the intake.

The cycle seems to stir the mulm.

The fish seem to enjoy having multiple flow patterns.

And finally, I needed an excuse to practice programming on my Neptune Apex EL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Streetwise; 06-12-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

Interesting filtration system. I like the variety of flow.

I agree the sponge will not lose bennefical bacteria.

The only issue I see is increaded wear and tear on the filter from being restarted each day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know I am repeating myself, but I am enjoying the irony of running three $12 filters with a $500 automation system! I am currently waiting for replies on the Apex forum for how to program a fake control for my Fluval 3.0 lights, so I can track temp and pH vs lights and filters.

I've already tested one thing. I had my MF-10s stirring air in by running at the waterline. When I pushed them down about six cm, I saw my pH drop by from about 8.5 average to about 8.1.

It used to have inverse pH correlation with my temp after I removed my heater, but now they seem more in-sync with each other.

I don't want to draw any conclusions, but it is fun to combine my IT skills with my aquarium hobby.

BTW, if I ever decide to add CO2, can my realtime pH monitoring save me from running a drop checker? I can automate a solenoid based on pH.

Cheers,

Jason

I will add that I think these filters are the most economical utility powerhead filters on the market. They look like Cylon kitchen equipment, but they have a nice foam filter in a plastic box you can pull out, even while the filter is running and suctioned to the glass. They come with some carbon in a cut cylindrical slot in the foam, capped with a fitted foam cylinder. I'll run as-is in my top-off bucket, but for in-tank, I dump the carbon, push the cap in, and run the full foam edge at the bottom, to keep babies out.

Basically, I value it as a baby-proof powerhead which happens to have a nice block of foam!

Cheers

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-12-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode