Left the hobby for a while, looking to get my feet wet again - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Left the hobby for a while, looking to get my feet wet again

It's been several years since I had a high tech planted tank. The water at my new house is very hard and the difficulty of a planted tank was too much at the time. I switched over to terrariums, but it's just not as rewarding as my previous aquariums. Anyway, I decided to create a paludarium with a water feature so I could do both. My new tank is a custom build using PVC board and will be 5 ft wide, 24" deep and about 30-36" top to bottom with 12-15" of water in the bottom, approx 75 gallons. I plan on using some large LED spotlights to get light into the water, which will be mostly RO/DI water (to reduce the hardness) and CO2 injected. I'm really hoping to use some of my favorite aquatic plants, but I'm unsure if the light will be strong enough from that distance. Obviously, I'll have to stick with low-medium size plants due to the water height. B japonica, S Repens, some Crypts, P helferi, ferns, Buce. I'm seeing a lot of new stuff that I would love to try but I'm not sure the light will be bright enough. Most stems are out, but I'm open to suggestions of plants that stay under 12" tall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode