2Likes
  • 1 Post By p0tluck
  • 1 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Twinstar/Chihiros Algae Inhibitors

I can hardly find any useful info on these devices (in English, anyway) regarding their setup and run time. Iíve gathered enough info on how they work to make me want one for the 22 gallon I am starting soon. Does anyone have experience with these devices to confirm that they are worth it?

Do they need to be manually activated daily? How long do they run for usually? Am I wasting my money on some gimmick or do they truly help prevent algae buildups?

I see many tanks running these so I hope somebody could give their input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci_215 View Post
I can hardly find any useful info on these devices (in English, anyway) regarding their setup and run time. Iíve gathered enough info on how they work to make me want one for the 22 gallon I am starting soon. Does anyone have experience with these devices to confirm that they are worth it?

Do they need to be manually activated daily? How long do they run for usually? Am I wasting my money on some gimmick or do they truly help prevent algae buildups?

I see many tanks running these so I hope somebody could give their input.

From every post I've read about 98% of them say they are a gimmick

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
cl3537 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
IMHO, a snake oil. Nothing works better to control algae then healthy plants in a healthy environment, i.e. regular water changes, trimming, and general regular maintenance.

BTW, welcome to TPT.
p0tluck likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I figured that was the case. Iíve seen a handful of people basically say ďshut up and buy oneĒ and the rest laugh that others have wasted their money. I know there is no end all be all to algae and that a balanced tank is key, but I was just curious if they were worth a shot. Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcomes. Hopefully I can start a journal for my first planted tank within the next few weeks to show off some progress!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Algae Grower

I'm running the largest version on my 120g right now.

It seems like a gimmick. I had it on a 50g for awhile without any noticable effect and just carried it over because I already owned it. Now I won't take it out just in case it's doing something I'm not noticing aha.

It's a set and forget system. Plug it in and then it has 3 settings for triggering, pick the one that's appropriate for your tank volume and then it turns itself on and off without you doing anything. If you don't like micro bubbles in your tank and you aren't running a sump then this wont be something you enjoy.

I also have a UV sterilizer running and would say if your looking at getting an additional piece of equipment go with that instead

...if I take the dishwasher out and use paper plates I can put a tank in the kitchen without losing counter space
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Planted Member

I found that TDS above 158 will stop the device from working. There is not much info on how to use one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLeaf View Post
I'm running the largest version on my 120g right now.

It seems like a gimmick. I had it on a 50g for awhile without any noticable effect and just carried it over because I already owned it. Now I won't take it out just in case it's doing something I'm not noticing aha.

It's a set and forget system. Plug it in and then it has 3 settings for triggering, pick the one that's appropriate for your tank volume and then it turns itself on and off without you doing anything. If you don't like micro bubbles in your tank and you aren't running a sump then this wont be something you enjoy.

I also have a UV sterilizer running and would say if your looking at getting an additional piece of equipment go with that instead

Good to know. I wouldnít mind throwing $40 at the Chihiros sterilizer to test vs the Twinstar at $100+ but given the lack of info and mixed reviews Iíll probably give it a pass and make sure my tank parameters are 100% when I set it up. I wasnít sure how I felt about the micro bubbles anyway. It seems that the thing activated multiple times a day and almost makes smaller tanks a bit ďcloudyĒ with the bubbles.

EdWiser I also heard issues regarding TDS but have heard higher numbers. One person also reported that once theirs activated the TDS jumped a large number. These sound very good in theory, itís a shame.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode