• 1 Post By Phil Edwards
  • 3 Post By Ryan Mosby
  • 2 Post By Phil Edwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Overstocked tanks?

So I was playing around with the AqAdvisor stocking calculator and found it says each of my tanks is overstocked. Some of the calculations seemed buggy (such as changing, or putting out the wrong percentage in the generated image) but I want to be sure I'm not actually overstocking my tanks. Because I didn't trust the "product dimensions" sellers provide, I took measurements of the inside dimensions of each tank for the calculator (each of these nano tanks has their own separate compartment for the filter and pump, so I wanted to be sure they weren't counted as livable space).

Tank #1: 5 gallons (Fluval Spec V) [link]
Livable space: 4.8 gallons
-Betta splendens (male)
-Horned zebra nerite snail
-1 Amano shrimp
Recommended water change schedule: 12% per week
Aquarium stocking level 119%

Tank #2: 3.7 gallons (Imagitarium Pro) [link]
Livable space: 2.5 gallons
-Betta splendens (female)
-Nerite snail
Recommended water change schedule: 20% per week.
Aquarium stocking level 82%.

Tank #3: 2.6 gallons (Fluval Spec III) [link]
Livable space: 2.5 gallons
-Horned zebra nerite snail
-15 Snowball shrimp (an estimate)
Recommended water change schedule: 21% per week.
Aquarium stocking level 434%.
Odd to note here, but if you generate the image, it says it's only 48% stocked?

It seems strange to me that if I remove all livestock but the two nerite snails in the 2.5 situations, only one is severely overstocked.
Tank #2: Single nerite, 2.5g livable space; 62% overstocked
Tank #3: Single nerite, 2.5g livable space; 326% overstocked

Am I overstocking by having a nerite snail in each nano tank?

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Planted Member

I hate that site.

Every creature has a "minimum" space requirement as well as a "suggested" space requirement.

It says some shrimp need 1 shrimp per gallon of water while other, same sized shrimp, are 10 per gallon.

The site goes off of their own numbers for each species. Most of the time it doesn't calculate what creatures are where in a tank.

You will have to adjust to what your tank can handle. By that I mean that each creature must have adequate space to roam, enough but not too much food, a way to properly remove waste, as well as enough spots for each creature to call their own.

I personally wouldn't put a betta in anything smaller than a 5 gallon despite what people say and despite the tiny containers they "CAN" live in.

15 or so shrimp and a snail is a bit for a 2 gallon tank.

If suggest getting another tank, 5 or 10 gallons, and bump everything up a tank.
So each setup would graduate 1 step larger tank and then I'd put that tiny tank somewhere else....like the garbage or someone else's house....
Thelongsnail and zmartin like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Tyrant46290 Would love to move up a size, but I'd definitely need more space IRL, first. If I could, then would the 2.5 gal make an okay quarantine tank?

get out of my house

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill echo that those calculators miss a lot of variables. Maintenance schedule being the first and foremost.

I use a 2.5 as quarantine... Its very overgrown- and honestly- you just reminded me I have to trim it up a bit, lol. Here it is 'trimmed' as of this morning lol. So speaking on tank size... obviously this 2.5 is no longer 2.5 with this quantity of plants, manzanita and petrified wood. Most plants are attached to wood or stones so everything can be removed if need be because after all... this is a backup tank (quarantine).

I think of shrimp as 'water ants' Most of them have the bioload of a flea- and alternately they EAT algae. So I dont even know how many I have in my tanks.... I dont even remember how many I originally purchased? But I have a good maintenance schedule so im not too concerned. Especially since my quarantine tank in that particular calculator is overstocked as well- HA!
2.5 gallon with some cherries and a snail:
Recommended water change schedule: 9% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 361%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

I applaud you for taking such diligence... but sounds to me like you want a bigger tank?! Heavily planted 10 gallon? my advise: Just do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.15.06 AM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	882493  

Phil Edwards likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
From the information you've given I would say your tanks are appropriately stocked. Do you have pictures available to share of the tanks you have now? That will also give us a good idea of what's going on in the tank.

The above posters are absolutely correct that dimensions, filtration, and maintenance count for a lot. If you go strictly off volume and filtration, my tank is theoretically suitable for medium-sized Cichlids (Geophagus and the like), but the dimensions are absolutely horrible; even if it had a cover. Since your tanks have decent filtration for their size and stocking of a single fish, I wouldn't worry at all. That being said, if you feel you need to change your fish's tanks, it never hurts. Standard 5.5 gallon tanks have awesome dimensions for Bettas and filtration for them is affordable.
livebearerlove likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you everyone who has replied. I love having my tanks near (or on) my desk so that I can see them all the time while I'm at my desk, but the setup of my small room makes it hard for me to upgrade to bigger sizes. (2.5g on the nightstand, 5 gal fits perfectly on top of the shelf, 3.7g on the desk). Here are pictures of the tanks:

Fluval Spec V (5 gal)
Occupants: Betta splendens (male, veiltail), horned nerite snail, 1 amano shrimp
It's not as cloudy as it appears, I just had some issue with the lighting when I took the pictures. There are hiding places in the back corners, and behind the tree and driftwood.

Imagitarium Pro (3.7 gal)
Occupants: Betta splendens (female, plakat), red racer nerite snail
I have trouble getting hydrocotyle tripartita (and most plants) to grow well in my 5 gal; I love the way it grows off the driftwood in this tank. My betta is a female dragonscale plakat, and is able to swim around the driftwood on all sides.

It looks like a tight fit but there's a whole big pocket of space in the corner of the driftwood.

Fluval Spec III (2.6 gal)
Occupants: Dwarf shrimp (snowballs, mostly), horned nerite snail

get out of my house
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those are great tanks for their inhabitants, no need to change a thing.
livebearerlove and Ryan Mosby like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Tags
aqadvisor calculator, nerite snail, overstock, stocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode