Advice allocating $1k budget for new tank? - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used cheap clamps from lowes that I had laying around .
I made a post about them with pics on the forum

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
T
I know, haha. Thanks for the links, I like the idea of having it on an arm. I can't quite tell how those clips work though - would it work to hang the light using them?
Since they are under cabinet clips I suspect just a center hole.. do w/ it what you want..Eye bolt and nut ect..
looks to be clearance for a nut.

Like I said, key is just getting the profile for the light bar right. so one doesn't just hammock the light bar.. if you know what I mean..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

Have 2 Current USA Satellite Plus Pro's on my 55 gallon, 18 inches high. Had about 100 par at substrate level in the middle of the tank and now I'm running them at 70%. They should be more than enough for you. Def. get a good CO2 system though.
GeorgeTheGuppy likes this.

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Starts here but goes on for months.................

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11085191
If anyone's wondering, the best "nutshell" post in the thread I've found is here (talking about switching from Aquasoil to an inert substrate like BDBS):

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I'd lay odds that 80% of your plants wont miss a beat. 20% are probably in for a rude awakening. Half of those will adjust and do fine after a month or so. But yeah there's probably a few that arent going to do so well

Its more than worth it though, the cleanliness and ease of working with. Being able to mercilessly yank up whatever you want whenever you want. Its freaking great. I didnt appreciate how great until doing aquasoil in a couple of tanks. There'll be no more of that I can promise you...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLordOfTheFish View Post
Have 2 Current USA Satellite Plus Pro's on my 55 gallon, 18 inches high. Had about 100 par at substrate level in the middle of the tank and now I'm running them at 70%. They should be more than enough for you. Def. get a good CO2 system though.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I want to pony up for 2 fixtures... $400 is a big chunk of my budget.
Greggz likes this.
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I called a local pet store, and they said they carried a 40gal rimless for $170. I wanted to make sure it was the 40 breeder instead of the 40 long, so I asked how wide it was, and she said it was 18" wide (okay, good) by 30" long. Huh? They were closing, so I didn't take the time to clarify, but I'm hoping she just misspoke. I can't find any tank size, standard or otherwise, with a 30"x18" footprint (or even with 30" and 18" dimensions in any direction).

At any rate, that's cheap enough that I'd definitely be able to budget for a rimless tank. Fingers crossed! I'll call them back tomorrow for clarification.
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Lifeguard Aquatics Crystal Large – 29.53″ x 17.72″ x 17.72″ ~40 gl.

https://www.lifegardaquatics.com/pro...tal-aquariums/

A single AI Prime, mounted high, might just give you what you want.
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Lifeguard Aquatics Crystal Large – 29.53″ x 17.72″ x 17.72″ ~40 gl.

https://www.lifegardaquatics.com/pro...tal-aquariums/

A single AI Prime, mounted high, might just give you what you want.
Thanks, that looks like a nice tank, but at $370 I think it's out of my budget.
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just got in touch with the LFS, and it looks like they have some pretty attractive rimless options.

The 40gal is 30" x 18" x 18", but they have a 48 gallon that measures 36" x 18" x 18" - basically a 40 breeder with an additional 2" of height - for $250. Isn't that an ADA size or something?

They also carry a 64 long that measures 48" x 18" x 18" for $320. Now that's really tempting. I think I'm going to start pricing out a build using that to see how much more it would cost me.

I also need to figure out the dosing system I'm going to use. If I decide to do something rich like EI, I don't want to be doing weekly 30gal water changes.
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
50 Glass 36 3/8 18 3/8 19 AGA (Aqueon)
Standard Aquarium Dimensions Chart and Dimensions to Gallons Calculator

Close enough..
GeorgeTheGuppy likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Isn't that a rimmed tank? I can only find three Aqueon rimless sizes, the largest of which is a 30 gallon.

All these tank sizes are starting to confuse me. Let me get this straight:
  • There is a list of standard tank sizes made by a bunch of manufacturers.
  • Aqueon, formerly known as AGA (All Glass Aquarium; no relation to Aquatic Gardeners Association or Aqua Design Amano), has their own unique tank sizes.
  • ADA, Aqua Design Amano, also has their own unique tank sizes, some of which are similar to Aqueon sizes.

The LFS's "40 gallon" (30" x 18" x 18") has dimensions similar to ADA's 75-P (29.5" x 17.7" x 17.7").
The LFS's "48 gallon" (36" x 18" x 18") has dimensions that are similar both to Aqueon's framed 50 gallon (36 3/8" x 18 3/8" x 19") and ADA's 90-P (35.4" x 17.7" x 17.7").
The LFS's "64 long" (48" x 18" x 18") has dimensions similar to ADA's 120-P (47.2" x 17.7" x 17.7").

However, ADA tanks are super expensive, so those at the LFS are probably not ADA. Do ADA clones exist?

Also, any thoughts on the 90-P vs the 120-P? Since I've been stuck with a 20-gallon for about a decade, I've always had the mentality that my next tank would be as big as possible, but I'm reading the 120-P can be a little harder to scape.
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Actually thought your local shop had "weird" sizes..

Maybe get them made locally for them????

post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Actually thought your local shop had "weird" sizes..

Maybe get them made locally for them????

I did too until I thought to look at ADA sizes.

Is there any significant risk of a seam popping with a cheaper rimless tank?
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not if they know what they are doing....

Bigger worry would be if they used the right thickness of glass for them...
Glass thickness is calculated based on a "risk factor" . If they used a more liberal risk factor to come up w/ thickness necessary ..or any at all is the ????

https://www.livingreefs.com/threads/...ulators.21048/
It's complicated..
glassthickness.zip

post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
ADA (and clones) use the metric system. The model numbers are length in cm - height code.
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

I have the ADA 75p. The ADA dimensions are really chosen with scaping in mind. I’d go for the longest you can afford. Unlike traditional long tanks, these give you the opportunity to do some very interesting scapes because of the added depth and height. I wish I had chosen the 120p.

As for ADA clones, there are several from China. Fireaqua is one that uses starfire glass like that of ADA. This is a type of glass that eliminates the green hue that starts to become very noticeable as the glass gets thicker - rimless aquariums have to use thicker glass to provide proper ridgidity without the rim.

Starfire clones like Fireaqua are 1/2 the price of ADA. You can also save further (1/2 again) by going with regular glass. This is what I expect your LFS has - Chinese knockoffs using regular glass. When buying these you have to look at 2 things. The quality of the silicone. More importantly, the thickness of the glass. For a 120p you’d expect 10-12mm glass.

Finally, due to the thick glass these are extremely heavy tanks. My 75p weighs 65lb. 120p is 100lb I believe - and that is just the empty aquarium. So you have to make sure to get a sturdy stand.
cl3537 and GeorgeTheGuppy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode