Advice allocating $1k budget for new tank? - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 40b is an aqueon, I may have bought a rimless if I could buy one locally but I'm ok with the rim .
I have a 22l rimless and I like it but I don't need rimless to enjoy my hobby.
The fluval 3.0 is great for dialing in your perfect setup, from blackwater to a sunny beach. Great light for any plant in tanks up to 24 inches. I have 4 and the one on my 40b is at 60%.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You will hear lots of pros and cons on pH controllers.

Personally I would not be without one. Getting CO2 right makes everything else easier.

If I want to bump pH down a bit more, I just tune it down 0.05 at a time. Very easy to hit my sweet spot.

Without it, there is a lot of messing around with flow rate to achieve the same thing. It's also a fail safe for my fish, which I have a lot invested in as well.

As mentioned before, I would not skimp on filters/CO2/lighting. You won't be sorry in the long run, and the few dollars you save up front will be long forgotten if you are monkeying around with inferior equipment.

And one more thing. Once you get all the above installed and start dosing ferts, do not underestimate the power of good maintenance and plant husbandry. An uber clean tank is the best defense against algae. Take it seriously and your odds of success will increase exponentially.
Phil Edwards likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

Get the large grit black diamond blasting sand. Roots go crazy in the stuff and it want breakdown. The best at holding plants in place and providing just enough space to prevent packing. I couldn't believe the difference in root growth.

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
My 40b is an aqueon, I may have bought a rimless if I could buy one locally but I'm ok with the rim .
I have a 22l rimless and I like it but I don't need rimless to enjoy my hobby.
The fluval 3.0 is great for dialing in your perfect setup, from blackwater to a sunny beach. Great light for any plant in tanks up to 24 inches. I have 4 and the one on my 40b is at 60%.

Wow, I was a little concerned that the 3.0 wouldn't be bright enough, but if you're able to grow a carpet at 60% then I'm strongly tempted! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
You will hear lots of pros and cons on pH controllers.

Personally I would not be without one. Getting CO2 right makes everything else easier.

If I want to bump pH down a bit more, I just tune it down 0.05 at a time. Very easy to hit my sweet spot.

Without it, there is a lot of messing around with flow rate to achieve the same thing. It's also a fail safe for my fish, which I have a lot invested in as well.

As mentioned before, I would not skimp on filters/CO2/lighting. You won't be sorry in the long run, and the few dollars you save up front will be long forgotten if you are monkeying around with inferior equipment.

And one more thing. Once you get all the above installed and start dosing ferts, do not underestimate the power of good maintenance and plant husbandry. An uber clean tank is the best defense against algae. Take it seriously and your odds of success will increase exponentially.
They seem like a good safeguard. With pressurized CO2, I'd be afraid of killing my shrimp since they're so sensitive to it.

Do you recommend a particular controller, and do you think it would be acceptable to run a single stage regulator if a controller were in use?

I appreciate your advice. I'm trying to keep to a reasonable budget, but I certainly don't want to regret limiting myself down the road.

Bump:
Quote:
Get the large grit black diamond blasting sand. Roots go crazy in the stuff and it want breakdown. The best at holding plants in place and providing just enough space to prevent packing. I couldn't believe the difference in root growth.

That's what I have now - I pulled up a tiny crypt the other day, and its roots were about 8" long. Crazy. I might stick with it, but I'm also interested to try a non-inert substrate.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
Do you recommend a particular controller, and do you think it would be acceptable to run a single stage regulator if a controller were in use?

I appreciate your advice. I'm trying to keep to a reasonable budget, but I certainly don't want to regret limiting myself down the road.
I use an American Pinpoint Marine, but I know many also use one by Milwaukee. I am sure both do what they are designed to do.

I also use a Dwyer flow meter rather than bubble counter, but that is another long discussion.

And yes, I use a single stage regulator by GLA. Have never experienced EOTD, but not saying it doesn't happen. If it did, the controller would turn off the solenoid, so no worries.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 06-06-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Burr740 did an experiment a short time ago comparing BDBS to Aquasoil, and you can read about it in his journal.
I'm really struggling trying to find this post. I've tried searching the thread, skimming the thread, googling... Can't find it for the life of me. I see this experiment on putting Osmocote under BDBS, but I don't see a direct comparison to Aquasoil. Could you point me in the right direction?

Quote:
I use an American Pinpoint Marine, but I know many also use one by Milwaukee. I am sure both do what they are designed to do.

I also use a Dwyer flow meter rather than bubble counter, but that is another long discussion.

And yes, I use a single stage controller by GLA. Have never experienced EOTD, but not saying it doesn't happen. If it did, the controller would turn off the solenoid, so no worries.
Thanks for the info! I'll consider a single-stage with a controller.

Is a flow meter better than a bubble counter? I imagine by its nature a bubble counter would be pretty imprecise.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
Moral of this story is: hurry up and buy all the things! So you can start a new tank journal.
Greggz, ipkiss, OVT and 1 others like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Moral of this story is: hurry up and buy all the things! So you can start a new tank journal.
Haha, I wish I could! I don't go back to VA until August, unfortunately.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm really struggling trying to find this post. I've tried searching the thread, skimming the thread, googling... Can't find it for the life of me.
Starts here but goes on for months.................

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11085191

Quote:
Is a flow meter better than a bubble counter? I imagine by its nature a bubble counter would be pretty imprecise.
Yes but much depends on the size of the tank. Anything over 55 or so it is pretty much impossible to count bubbles. It's really just a constant stream.

It's been brought up in my journal quite a few times. Here is a link to a discussion about them.....

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10821809

------------------
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
[QUOTE What stand did you get?

Wow, that ELOS is crazy expensive.[/QUOTE]

Me set up was like this for a cheap 40B

Dollar per gallon sale 40B
I got this stand at petco/petsmart. I waited for a sale and purchased a gift card to the store from a reseller. I think I was at $100 bucks for the stand. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...aquarium-stand
Lighting can be your choice.
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil if you want to splurge, or BDBS if you want to go cheap.
CO2: I had it already.
Filter: Eheim 2217 is on Fleabay for 150-160 new shipped.

I've purchased an Elos tank 3 ft with stand before for 300-400 bucks. Just have to be patient and willing to drive a little.
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Starts here but goes on for months.................

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11085191

Yes but much depends on the size of the tank. Anything over 55 or so it is pretty much impossible to count bubbles. It's really just a constant stream.

It's been brought up in my journal quite a few times. Here is a link to a discussion about them.....

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10821809
Thanks! Reading through that thread right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Shevchuk View Post
Me set up was like this for a cheap 40B

Dollar per gallon sale 40B
I got this stand at petco/petsmart. I waited for a sale and purchased a gift card to the store from a reseller. I think I was at $100 bucks for the stand. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...aquarium-stand
Lighting can be your choice.
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil if you want to splurge, or BDBS if you want to go cheap.
CO2: I had it already.
Filter: Eheim 2217 is on Fleabay for 150-160 new shipped.

I've purchased an Elos tank 3 ft with stand before for 300-400 bucks. Just have to be patient and willing to drive a little.
I appreciate the info.

That stand looks a lot nicer than the metal one. I'll keep an eye out for a sale. I'm assuming you like it?
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I'm finally narrowing down the search for a light after doing a lot more research today.

I'm still considering something DIY with floodlights, but I'm leaning toward a premade setup that would be more sure to work well.

The main contenders are the Fluval Fresh and Plant 3.0 ($160, 46W), the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 V2 ($128, 35.8W)(there's also a Planted+24/7 HLC; not sure what the difference is), and the Current USA Satellite Plus Pro ($242, 50W). There's also the Finnex Monster Ray and Vivid+, but it seems like neither of those is meant to be the main light.

It seems like the Planted+ 24/7 gets the most recommendations of the three, but it's quite short of the Satellite and 3.0 in terms of wattage.

I couldn't find PAR data for the Fluval 3.0, but its prior version was supposed to have similar (if slightly higher) PAR output.

It looks like the Current USA leads the pack for PAR.
At 12" deep, Fluval reports 112 μMol/m^2/s (I think that's the right unit), Finnex 88, and Current USA 155.
Down at 18", Fluval is 66, Finnex 53, and Current USA 98.

At both depths, the Fluval is about 80% the Finnex, and the Current USA is about 140% the Finnex. Then again, the Current USA costs 150% what the Finnex does. Toss-up between Fluval and Current USA.

All three models can be programmed for a day/night cycle with ramp-up and ramp-down instead of a harsh on/off, although the Fluval has the advantage of being controlled via app instead of with a clunky IR remote.

Because of this and its sleek look, I think I'm leaning toward the Fluval. However, my concern is how low it's mounted. Even on my 20 tall, which is 12" wide, lights can't be mounted too low. On a 40 breeder I'm afraid a low-profile light will leave large dark spots on the front and back top edges. Do you guys have any suggestions? All I can find is this hanging kit for $40.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Algae Grower

My fluval is raised about 3" and no dark spots on a 40b

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sort of back to semi-DIY..
Fluval does have mounting clips for under cabinet mounting..
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Cabine.../dp/B00F3356D0
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958144450.html

The light to something attachment is usually the messy part..

finding a cheap mounting arm to attach them to is a bit of a challenge..
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-O...2447ZQX8MV7BSZ

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
My fluval is raised about 3" and no dark spots on a 40b

Thanks @Aku Sakana. How did you raise it? Did you just put risers under its legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Sort of back to semi-DIY..
Fluval does have mounting clips for under cabinet mounting..
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Cabine.../dp/B00F3356D0
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958144450.html

The light to something attachment is usually the messy part..

finding a cheap mounting arm to attach them to is a bit of a challenge..
https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-O...2447ZQX8MV7BSZ
I know, haha. Thanks for the links, I like the idea of having it on an arm. I can't quite tell how those clips work though - would it work to hang the light using them?

If I can figure out a clean way to do it, I'm also thinking of 3D printing some risers to put it on or mounting it on aluminum extrusion (something like this), although 80/20 is kind of expensive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode