Advice allocating $1k budget for new tank? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think I'd try to breed the discus - that's way too involved for me. However, I'd forgotten they need such high temps. Maybe not then, as that cuts down on shrimp lifespan.
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This has been an interesting thread.

Sounds like the makings of a great tank.

My two cents. Do not go DIY CO2. You want stable dependable CO2 levels. Plenty of successful tanks use inert substrate, and BDBS is cheap/looks great. Burr740 did an experiment a short time ago comparing BDBS to Aquasoil, and you can read about it in his journal. Canister filter is fine for a tank that size (the more filtration the better). In line heaters work great. A temp controller adds an extra fail safe.

And don't discount using T5HO. You mentioned a "Dutch" scape. The AGA Dutch category has been won the past four years by tanks that use T5. And of all of the gold, silver, and bronze medalists, all but one the past four years use T5.

Good luck with the project. Once you get going, be sure to start a journal. I am sure many would like to follow along, myself included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
This has been an interesting thread.

Sounds like the makings of a great tank.

My two cents. Do not go DIY CO2. You want stable dependable CO2 levels. Plenty of successful tanks use inert substrate, and BDBS is cheap/looks great. Burr740 did an experiment a short time ago comparing BDBS to Aquasoil, and you can read about it in his journal. Canister filter is fine for a tank that size (the more filtration the better). In line heaters work great. A temp controller adds an extra fail safe.

And don't discount using T5HO. You mentioned a "Dutch" scape. The AGA Dutch category has been won the past four years by tanks that use T5. And of all of the gold, silver, and bronze medalists, all but one the past four years use T5.

Good luck with the project. Once you get going, be sure to start a journal. I am sure many would like to follow along, myself included.

There are a lot of small reasons this is.. but let's just take 2nd place 2018..
Lighting4-48" HO T-5 6500K, 2-48" HO T-5 5000K, 8hrs/day6 56W lights..no special colors..That is pretty easy to emulate w/ LED's but not necessarily w/ canned fixtures..

Only real advantage is cost and slightly more diffuse lighting..

Skill is more important than the light..
and sometimes these become self fulfilling.. t5's won x year so everyone uses them..

anyways for fun:
Stupid censors..
https://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.o...edium/7360.jpg

https://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.o...8/show418.html

2018 winner..
Philips 830 2x 2 58 watt TL8 Philips 840 1x 2 58 watt TL8 Philips 865 1x 2 58 watt TL8
Translated ..
4 @80CRI 4000K
2 @80cri 3000K
[email protected] 6500k

split so really 2:1:1 per fixture 2 fixtures I think
122" x 26" x 20"

just ancillary..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/6707505-post649.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-06-2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: edit

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like everyone said high tech, needs stable co2. A tank, stand plus co2 regulator +tank, alone can easily break your budget. That's before you even got plants in there. You could always start slow and get your tank,stand, substrate, lights and some easy to grow plants. Before you jump into co2. The cheapest way to go high tech, is to buy once key word is once. If you can, void buying cheaper stuff and then upgrading later. I can help you with some additional (additional because they are only red and blue bars) just send me a PM. Otherwise if your not trying to break the bank on the first go, just go slow and steady and accumulate what you need over time. Goodluck and I hope everything works out for you

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Greg,

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

It sounds like the consensus is pressurized CO2 is the way to go, so I'll start looking into that to add to my budget.

I actually have BDBS in my current tank, but I just don't love how dirty it gets. Granted, my tank has been essentially unmaintained the past semester, so maybe regular maintenance and a better filter would keep it cleaner. Other than that, I really like it - it looks great, and it's so easy to plant stuff in compared to larger granule sizes. I'll check out the compairson to Aquasoil.

Any thoughts on the Safe T Sorb substrate? I'm tired of my plants putting off roots into the water column, and I thought a substrate with a higher CEC might help with that. (I also like the look.)

That's interesting about the use of T5HO in the Dutch category! I don't have anything against T5, but I'm just looking for the lower-profile look and better controllability of an LED fixture.

I hadn't even considered doing a build thread; I didn't realize there would be any interest! I'm honestly pretty bad at aquascaping, but I'll definitely make a thread once I start putting stuff together.

Do you plan out plant placement beforehand, or do you just buy some plants and mess around with them to find a good placement?

(Edit: Just came across your thread on your Rainbowfish tank. I haven't gotten far, but it looks amazing in the first post! You must be proud.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Interesting links for the LED lighting. The image you linked looks really appealing with the LEDs. It doesn't look at all washed-out like my tank does with the Beamswork. Just to clarify, that winning Dutch tank was on T5s, right? I can't find any LEDs matching those model numbers.

I'm realizing that I'm really searching for a warmer look than most LED fixtures - maybe I need to visit my LFS to look at some fixtures in person (although I think all they have over their FW tanks are Kessils).

---------------------------------------------------------------

KZB,

Thanks for the advice. I'm all about "buy once, cry once," haha. If I just can't budget for a quality (new or used) CO2 setup right away, I'll buy them later or consider upping my budget.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Even "retail" w/ some DIY involved for quality CO2 isn't ridiculous but prob 1/3rd your budget:
https://store.cyberweld.com/smoxre2st30s.html
$203.90
Downgrade to a single stage saves you $100.
https://www.bakersgas.com/SMI30-100-320_ss24809.html
That's new...usually plenty of evil bay regs to get if you go DIY..
two stage sub-$200 (total main parts, reg,metering,solenoid) is fairly easy to build..

this and $110 aftermarket add ons get you to $300 plus..
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-...post-body-kits
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/cga-320-nut-nipple
$101.98 (need a small 12v dc power supply and timer)
and bubble ounter/flowmeter.. tubing. check valve.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
It sounds like the consensus is pressurized CO2 is the way to go, so I'll start looking into that to add to my budget.
Yea, little argument there..in the long run it's usually best.. Short of low tech.

Quote:
I actually have BDBS in my current tank, but I just don't love how dirty it gets. Granted, my tank has been essentially unmaintained the past semester, so maybe regular maintenance and a better filter would keep it cleaner. Other than that, I really like it - it looks great, and it's so easy to plant stuff in compared to larger granule sizes. I'll check out the compairson to Aquasoil.

Any thoughts on the Safe T Sorb substrate? I'm tired of my plants putting off roots into the water column, and I thought a substrate with a higher CEC might help with that. (I also like the look.)
Saf-t sorb and "Turface"

are both fairly coarse..and sort of light. Not sure if CEC controls roots though. Got my personal opinion on CEC's that is prob. not real popular..
Out of the coarser soils I still like non-CEC like Flourite better..

Quote:
That's interesting about the use of T5HO in the Dutch category! I don't have anything against T5, but I'm just looking for the lower-profile look and better controllability of an LED fixture.
I hadn't even considered doing a build thread; I didn't realize there would be any interest! I'm honestly pretty bad at aquascaping, but I'll definitely make a thread once I start putting stuff together.

Jeff,

Interesting links for the LED lighting. The image you linked looks really appealing with the LEDs. It doesn't look at all washed-out like my tank does with the Beamswork. Just to clarify, that winning Dutch tank was on T5s, right? I can't find any LEDs matching those model numbers.
I'm realizing that I'm really searching for a warmer look than most LED fixtures - maybe I need to visit my LFS to look at some fixtures in person (although I think all they have over their FW tanks are Kessils).

Thanks for the advice. I'm all about "buy once, cry once," haha. If I just can't budget for a quality (new or used) CO2 setup right away, I'll buy them later or consider upping my budget.
Kessils aren't "warmer" (rated 6000-9000k) except maybe the VERY NEWEST one.. forgot the model

and yes t5's (or related t5hp,8's little difference except wattage oh and dia for 8's )

Main point was they used a lot of wattage and no "fancy' colors.. Simple whites..well the few I checked..
Plenty of LED's that one can "warm" up but the sad part is you end up sacrificing power..and in a sense at full you are still under-powered over the "usual"t5 wattages people run.
Problem w/ some "warming" of LED's is cheap phosphors and low CRI..
And CRI isn't always equal either..The one I posted had "average" CRI of 80..but due to certain advantages of tubes a LED CRI of 80 isn't like an 80CRI of tubes..mostly due to a broad blee spread of tube phosphors and a very weak spread w/ led's..

Not insurmountable obstacles but takes either expensive LED's, company that will customize, or DIY for the most part..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...ter-plant.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...6-6797305e86ec

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-06-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: edit
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Even "retail" w/ some DIY involved for quality CO2 isn't ridiculous but prob 1/3rd your budget:
https://store.cyberweld.com/smoxre2st30s.html
$203.90
Downgrade to a single stage saves you $100.
https://www.bakersgas.com/SMI30-100-320_ss24809.html
That's new...usually plenty of evil bay regs to get if you go DIY..
two stage sub-$200 (total main parts, reg,metering,solenoid) is fairly easy to build..

this and $110 aftermarket add ons get you to $300 plus..
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-...post-body-kits
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/cga-320-nut-nipple
$101.98 (need a small 12v dc power supply and timer)
and bubble ounter/flowmeter.. tubing. check valve.
I've been reading up on CO2 systems, and I read that most single stage regulators are essentially the same: the improvement comes with dual stage regulators, which aren't prone to end of tank dump like the single-stages are.

However, I read the problem can also be avoided by the use of a pH controller, which would shut off CO2 before an EOTD situation turned deadly. Since the difference between single- and dual-stage is about $100, and pH controllers run just over $100, why wouldn't I want to get a single-stage and a pH controller instead of the dual-stage?

I briefly looked into building a two-stage, but I thought it would be out of my league. If it's pretty simple, maybe I'll go that route.

I'm having trouble keeping the parts and costs straight between the DIY and non-DIY routes. Just to clarify - $200 would get me a premade dual-stage (or $100 a single-stage), and I'd have to spend about another $100 on other parts (solenoid and needle valve). However, if I went DIY, I could put the whole thing together for under $200. Either way, I'd have to spend a bit more on a bubble counter, tubing, a check valve, a diffuser, a 12v power supply, and a timer. Is that correct?

Quote:
Yea, little argument there..in the long run it's usually best.. Short of low tech.

Saf-t sorb and "Turface" are both fairly coarse..and sort of light. Not sure if CEC controls roots though. Got my personal opinion on CEC's that is prob. not real popular..
Out of the coarser soils I still like non-CEC like Flourite better..

Kessils aren't "warmer" (rated 6000-9000k) except maybe the VERY NEWEST one.. forgot the model

and yes t5's (orrelated t5hp,8's little difference except wattage oh and dia for 8's )

Main point was they used a lot of wattage and no "fancy' colors.. Simple whites..well the few I checked..
Plenty of LED's that one can "warm" up but the sad part is you end up sacrificing power..and in a sense at full you are still under-powered over the "usual"t5 wattages people run.
Problem w/ some "warming" of LED's is cheap phosphors and low CRI..
And CRI isn't always equal either..The one I posted had "average" CRI of 80..but due to certain advantages of tubes a LED CRI of 80 isn't like an 80CRI of tubes..mostly due to a broad blee spread of tube phosphors and a very weak spread w/ led's..

Not insurmountable obstacles but takes either expensive LED's, company that will customize, or DIY for the most part..
I've read that some theorize CEC can reduce floating roots. It makes sense, but it hasn't been proven. I figure either way, it's probably better to have a substrate that isn't inert.

Isn't 6000K fairly warm? (Ironic and somewhat confusing that a "warm" temperature corresponds to a cooler radiator.) At any rate, I'm hoping I can find a store that runs either the Satellite or the AI Prime FW to see what those are like - I was just mentioning that I thought my LFS only ran Kessils.

For better or for worse, I'm pretty set on LEDs. I used to run old-school PC fluorescents and metal halides (on my reef tanks), but ever since going to the sleek LED fixtures I can't go back.

I'm thinking of doing something DIY with floodlights. I found a 50W 6000K floodlight for $26. I'm thinking I could run a pair of those and a few less-powerful RGB lights (if I could find a cheap DC one) so I could fine-tune colors to my liking. It could be controlled by the TC420 (or something like it), and I think I'd have a nice setup for under $200.

Although at that point, it's tempting to just drop the extra $200 on a pair of Prime's to have something proven and easy.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Planted Member

I suggest DIY for things you won't see, and splurge on what you will see.

DIY CO2 $15
DIY sump $50 for pump/silicone/hose (you can buy a glass cutter for $7 at home depot or walmart and get free old windows or broken tanks everywhere. Glass is super easy to cut.)

Buy a 40 gallon rimless $300
Buy a wood stand $150
Buy a Fluval aquasky light $100
(Light has every setting and feature you can think of. Even mimics storms. Not the brightest but grows carpets in my tank and is very slim. 40 breeders are plenty shallow and don't require high par to hit the bottom of the tank.)
Buy heater $50
Buy plant substrate $80
This total is $745, round to $750
That gives you $250 for driftwood, rocks, plants.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What breeds (species and varient) are these fish? Granted Ive never had livebearer's so can not give any context on those. But, what other freshwater fish can, in the aquarium, fluctuate from 60 degrees at night to 75 in the day?
When I lived in Asia (and I would travel to Sri Lanka, etc) We would be searching for Endlers, Guppies, Mollies, Platies, Tetras, other livebearers. Those fish that lived in brackish or marsh-like habitats... shallow waters (sometimes only a few inches deep) could potentially snow at night but hit 80 during the day (like Japan) and in vietnam when you went through the patty streams the water temps would get up to 80 degrees in the sunny location, but Bettas would get tossed around by the current and in the shaded area the water temp was 69.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've been reading up on CO2 systems, and I read that most single stage regulators are essentially the same: the improvement comes with dual stage regulators, which aren't prone to end of tank dump like the single-stages are.

However, I read the problem can also be avoided by the use of a pH controller, which would shut off CO2 before an EOTD situation turned deadly. Since the difference between single- and dual-stage is about $100, and pH controllers run just over $100, why wouldn't I want to get a single-stage and a pH controller instead of the dual-stage?
Sure it's an option but it's more of a KIS thing for me and probes die/drift ect..

Quote:

I'm having trouble keeping the parts and costs straight between the DIY and non-DIY routes. Just to clarify - $200 would get me a premade dual-stage (or $100 a single-stage), and I'd have to spend about another $100 on other parts (solenoid and needle valve). However, if I went DIY, I could put the whole thing together for under $200. Either way, I'd have to spend a bit more on a bubble counter, tubing, a check valve, a diffuser, a 12v power supply, and a timer. Is that correct?
Well it's JUST the regulator at the $200/$100 point.

Quote:

Isn't 6000K fairly warm? (Ironic and somewhat confusing that a "warm" temperature corresponds to a cooler radiator.) At any rate, I'm hoping I can find a store that runs either the Satellite or the AI Prime FW to see what those are like - I was just mentioning that I thought my LFS only ran Kessils.

Semantics...warm for reefers..
Fav chart.

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Priorities, in order:

Good, reliable, CO2 system
Good, reliable, filtration
Nice tank and stand
Good, reliable, lighting

You do not want to cheap out on any of these, with CO2 being the most important and filtration being a close second. Investing in quality in the beginning will save lots of money and heartache going forward. Filtration and CO2 are the heart and soul of a planted tank. Starting with a solid foundation here will pay dividends that will help the hobby be more enjoyable in the long run.

Spend the money for a decent tank and stand so you've got something pleasant to look at.

Lighting is last as it's arguably the least important from a financial standpoint. Having high filtration capacity and the ability to add more CO2 than the light requires will actually make things easier. Not having enough filtration capacity or the ability to add the CO2 required by the light output will cause problems and lots of unnecessary money spent replacing inadequate parts.
ipkiss, livebearerlove and ROYWS3 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

My setup
40b great tank , no brace in middle
Fluval 3.0 easily grows all plants with one
Art c02 regulator
Large grit blasting sand is my favorite substrate because it last forever and it's the easiest to plant .
Neo diffuser large
Dual plug timer from lowes runs c02 and my eheim skimmer
Eheim pro 4, replace white pad with course blue pad and get course inlet sponge

Around $850 and I love this tank
Led is best ...no way I would go back to t5

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant46290 View Post
I suggest DIY for things you won't see, and splurge on what you will see.

DIY CO2 $15
DIY sump $50 for pump/silicone/hose (you can buy a glass cutter for $7 at home depot or walmart and get free old windows or broken tanks everywhere. Glass is super easy to cut.)

Buy a 40 gallon rimless $300
Buy a wood stand $150
Buy a Fluval aquasky light $100
(Light has every setting and feature you can think of. Even mimics storms. Not the brightest but grows carpets in my tank and is very slim. 40 breeders are plenty shallow and don't require high par to hit the bottom of the tank.)
Buy heater $50
Buy plant substrate $80
This total is $745, round to $750
That gives you $250 for driftwood, rocks, plants.
Thanks for the advice. With a sump, wouldn't you have to also factor in an overflow, plumbing, a return pump, filter media, etc.?

If I went that route, I probably wouldn't want to DIY a sump. I rent, and my landlord wouldn't want me to have something like that upstairs.

How does the Aquasky compare to the Fluval 3.0?

Any suggestions on a particular wood stand?

Quote:
Sure it's an option but it's more of a KIS thing for me and probes die/drift ect..

Well it's JUST the regulator at the $200/$100 point.

Semantics...warm for reefers..
Gotcha. How much does pH drift without a controller?

What's a typical color temp for a planted tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Priorities, in order:

Good, reliable, CO2 system
Good, reliable, filtration
Nice tank and stand
Good, reliable, lighting

You do not want to cheap out on any of these, with CO2 being the most important and filtration being a close second. Investing in quality in the beginning will save lots of money and heartache going forward. Filtration and CO2 are the heart and soul of a planted tank. Starting with a solid foundation here will pay dividends that will help the hobby be more enjoyable in the long run.

Spend the money for a decent tank and stand so you've got something pleasant to look at.

Lighting is last as it's arguably the least important from a financial standpoint. Having high filtration capacity and the ability to add more CO2 than the light requires will actually make things easier. Not having enough filtration capacity or the ability to add the CO2 required by the light output will cause problems and lots of unnecessary money spent replacing inadequate parts.
Thanks. I'll definitely not skimp on the CO2 system, and I think the 2217 is a quality filtration option.

The more I think about it though, it's just hard to spend $300-$400 on a nicer tank. I don't especially mind the rim on my current tank; I just think tanks without look nice. I'm thinking I'll get the cheap tank for now, and maybe down the road I'll upgrade and use the old one for a cheap, low-tech setup.

Any suggestions for lighting though? I'm just not sure what is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
My setup
40b great tank , no brace in middle
Fluval 3.0 easily grows all plants with one
Art c02 regulator
Large grit blasting sand is my favorite substrate because it last forever and it's the easiest to plant .
Neo diffuser large
Dual plug timer from lowes runs c02 and my eheim skimmer
Eheim pro 4, replace white pad with course blue pad and get course inlet sponge

Around $850 and I love this tank
Led is best ...no way I would go back to t5

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Is your tank rimless, or is it the PetCo Aqueon like I'm looking at?

The Fluval 3.0 wasn't even on my radar. Looks like it's dimmable and programable, so that would fit the bill! How's the color - does the tank look washed-out at all? And do you ever wish it was brighter? Do carpets stay short and dense in your tank?
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

Off topic post deleted
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by mboley; 06-09-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Off topic

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode