4Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint
  • 2 Post By mott
  • 1 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advice on upgrading from 20 gallon to 75 gallon.

Hi all, I have a heavily planted 20 gallon with about 10 tetras, established 2 years and doing great. I just purchased a 75 gallon and would like to move all my plants and fish, but not substrate. I have a general idea of how to transition slowly, I plan to keep the 20 up and running until the 75 is ready...I would love your thoughts on my plan:

1. Set up 75 with dechlorinated water, Black Diamond Blasting sand substrate, heater, Fluval FX4.
2. Take some filter sponge out of existing filter on 20 gallon, squeeze sponge into 75, then drop sponge in tank.
3. Move existing plants from 20 to 75 gradually....over 1 or 2 weeks.
4. Move fish when tank is cycled. I'm still a bit unsure exactly how to know when the new tank is cycled?? I have the API test kit.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

Total total total newbie here.... I have a question.

Why canít you set up the 75 scape without plants, and when you do your water changes on the 20, put that water into the 75....

Like do water changes simultaneously, take from one to give the other. In my mind that would give you two cycled tanks eventually.... but Iím probably so off base here lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeturbo View Post
Total total total newbie here.... I have a question.

Why canít you set up the 75 scape without plants, and when you do your water changes on the 20, put that water into the 75....

Like do water changes simultaneously, take from one to give the other. In my mind that would give you two cycled tanks eventually.... but Iím probably so off base here lol

Most of the bacteria is in the substrate and filter material. The water from my understanding has minimal bacteria to seed a new tank. The beneficial bacteria grows on things like the bio balls, sponges, gravel/sand.....
Leeatl likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Most of the bacteria is in the substrate and filter material. The water from my understanding has minimal bacteria to seed a new tank. The beneficial bacteria grows on things like the bio balls, sponges, gravel/sand.....

Makes total sense!

Would it be helpful to bury a layer of the original substrate in the new tank, and transfer some filter media then?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

The Fluval FX4 is rated for.....250 gal? If so, why not just hook up the filter to the 75gal and move the fish over?

I do this whenever I setup a new tank. Haven't had any fish or shrimp deaths. Plus, it is only 10 tetras so Im sure the FX4 can handle it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My 20 gallon has a Fluval 206....I got the FX4 used , with the new tank. It's been cleaned and dry for a long time......should I move the 206 to the 75 as well as the FX4?

Bump: My 20 gallon has a Fluval 206....I got the FX4 used , with the new tank. It's been cleaned and dry for a long time......should I move the 206 to the 75 as well as the FX4?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennation View Post
My 20 gallon has a Fluval 206....I got the FX4 used , with the new tank. It's been cleaned and dry for a long time......should I move the 206 to the 75 as well as the FX4?

Bump: My 20 gallon has a Fluval 206....I got the FX4 used , with the new tank. It's been cleaned and dry for a long time......should I move the 206 to the 75 as well as the FX4?
Yes, move both filters over. Or put the media from the 206 into the FX4. Do not let the cycled media sit stagnant for anything over 15 minutes or so because the bacteria will start to die off. 10 neon tetra in a 75 are going to have a minuscule effect on water parameters, and if you're doing weekly water changes, that should be more than sufficient along with what beneficial bacteria are established in the 206. I'm sure the plan is to add more fish, do this slowly and be sure to watch parameters when the time comes. Adding too many fish at once will cause ammonia spikes. To speed up the process of making the tank safe with the new bio-load, you can add something like SeaChem Stability along with Prime - detox's the water while adding bacteria to improve the biological filtration.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Keep the 20 around for a quarantine tank, I always q new fish. Unless youíre not planning on adding more fish to the 75.
mgeorges and Discusluv like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Keep the 20 around for a quarantine tank, I always q new fish. Unless youíre not planning on adding more fish to the 75.
This is great advice. Since the 20 is cycled, and plenty of bacteria lives in the substrate and on surfaces outside of the filter, you could simply get a cheap HOB, something like an AquaClear 20, and set that up on there and the tank will hold the cycle and colonize the filter media over time. You'd need to feed the tank ammonia on a regular basis to keep the bacteria colony alive, FYI. You can do this with ammonium hydroxide (something like this - https://www.acehardware.com/departme...cleaners/10183 ) or by adding fish food to the empty tank. There's other great ways as well, but that's just a couple ideas. With the ammonium hydroxide, it cannot have any surfactants or other additives. You'd be adding just a few drops to reach 2 ppm ammonia, something like 6-10 drops of the stuff would likely be adequate. Start on the low side, test the water after it's had time to circulate (15-20 minutes at most), add more if necessary. Needless to say, a 32 oz bottle will last you forever. I've cycled many tanks with this exact stuff and it looks like a brand new bottle still, lol.
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:35 PM

If you are planning on not putting fish back in the 20 right away, just move everything over, the fish and plants including your filter and a good chunk of the water, and you should be golden. If the filter is handling the load in the 20 it'll handle the load in the 75 until the bigger filter becomes seeded and kicks in. It would be helpful to move some of the filter material from the existing filter into the new one if you can, otherwise just squeeze some of the medium from the existing filter by the intake of the new filter once it's running and that'll help. I wouldn't be too overly worried about "establishing" the new tank unless you have touchy tetras. Assuming you've been doing regular water changes and the fish are used to water changes, as long as the water in the new tank is de-chlorinated and roughly the same temp and basic water parameters, you should be able to acclimate them to the new tank quite readily. If you haven't done water changes in ages you might want to start doing partials in the existing tank just to get the fish used to water changes before moving them straight over (even going from poor conditions to pristine conditions can be difficult on fish sometimes). If you move the fish and filter over, just feed a tad lightly the first week or so and at that point start feeding more. I'd think after two to three weeks you'd be able to move the filter back to the 20 (which I'll assume you've cleaned rather than let go stagnant) if you want to set it up for something else.

I have "started" new tanks using water/filter material/filters/decor/etc from existing aquariums rather quickly back in the days when I used to have a shop. Having an existing tank to borrow from and give a kick start can eliminate a lot of cycling hassles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode