Fish for a 75g planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Oso Polar
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish for a 75g planted tank

Ive never done a tank this size before and i wanted some opinions on the fish i should put in there, and how many. So far i have a list of fish and others i want in the tank.

Betta x1
Corydoras x? (How many do you recommend,
and what kind.)
Tuxedo guppies x?
Sparkling gourami x?

Several dwarf shrimp (amano, cherry, chocolate, ghost)
Nerite snails x?
Pond snails x?
Assassin snails x? (How many to keep pond snails in check?)
I also want some loaches, but im not sure which ones dont eat snails?

Any recommendations are welcome, im pretty new to this, so some help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

IMHO the best population for big tank is either a very few large fishes (e.g. a pair of oscars + pleco), or a group/school of medium size fish (e.g. discus), or one/few large/medium size fish as a centerpiece + one/few big schools of small fish. May be also just a few big schools of small fish.

IMHO pretty much everything what you've listed is a poor choice for a big tank. A lost opportunity, if you wish. Honestly, I'd just leave all these guppies, bettas and dwarf shrimp where they fit much better - smaller tanks. Basically, the main thing is that in a big tank, only something big alone or big in a group looks really good. Small lonely fishes are just barely noticeable. Betta that looks gorgeous and a centerpiece in a 5 or 10 gallon tank suddenly is just a tiny spot in a 75g.

Corydoras may be a good choice IMHO. A big school of them. 10+ Obviously, not pygmy corydoras. Or a school of some reasonably sized loaches - and yes, all of them will completely destroy all snails. Do you really need snails? Then no loaches - there are lots of other bottom feeders (e.g. corydoras species you already mentioned yourself, plecos etc.).

Use big tank for something you can't keep in a small tank! Sparkling gouramis, betta etc. - you want them, get small tanks for them. There are so many options that you simply can't do in a small tank: discuses, altums, Boesemani rainbows, clown loaches - list of possibilities is huge.
ROYWS3 and Discusluv like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

I would pick either the betta OR the gouramis as they are likely to fight.
In a tank that size I would get a school of 12-15 corys. I personally like pandas and violet corys, in part because they stay smaller so you can have more of them.
You could have a lot of guppies if you wanted, but also consider a good size school of tetras or rasboras. The schooling behavior is fun to watch.
With the betta in there I would get amano shrimp as they are a bit bigger. The cherries would likely get picked apart (I've had it happen, though you might get lucky with a nicer fish).

I'll let someone else chime in about the snails, I prefer tanks without them. I use amanos and otos as my algae control

If you're just setting up the tank, I'd add the inhabitants in a stepwise fashion so your tank can adjust to the bioload.

Have fun!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice school of 6-8 neon rainbow to start with, with tank that size Id prefer something med sized. They look best with a few floating plants to swim around under.

Rainbows are some of easiest, most indestructible fish around. Always out moving around, eat anything and are peaceful.

Then after that bio load settles in for about 1.5mo add 5-6 skunk Cory

Then 5-7 Celebes rainbow to finish.

Betta are best kept in smaller, more species oriented tanks, same with sparkling gourami.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by DaveKS; 05-29-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Photo
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've kept Angels in a 75 and that was a great size for them. I currently have a single Oscar with a Bristlenose in that tank but this would limit the plants you can have because anything that can be uprooted will be.
One Oscar for a 75 is the most I would go with. I have to do 75% water changes once a week to maintain parameters at better than acceptable levels and two would require excessive maintenance, at least from my perspective.
Also, as mentioned, different Anabantoid species like Gouramis and Bettas do not get along. For larger tanks like that and the filters required to move and filter an adequate amount, poor Bettas will get blown around and beat up by the current.
You've gotten some good suggestions for Rainbows and Skunk Corys. I'd suggest possibly looking at Congo Tetras which are larger and require a bigger tank but are quite visually striking. For Cory Catfish I've always been partial to to the Julii Cory.

Snail populations are essentially self-limiting. People often needlessly obsess over their snail "problems" without realizing that it really isn't the problem in and of itself and they are only able to thrive if they have a food source. If you think you have too many snails, feed less and do a better job of cleaning out the plant detritus. I've always kept Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my tanks with no problem and when you look closer at all the tiny little pinhead-sized infant snails there must be thousands of them. They're live bearers though and are notorious for their absurd numbers. Pond Snails (and Ramshorn Snails which entertainingly float on the surface sometimes) generally don't have population explosions that dramatic so you'll have more time to make a correction to limit their numbers if you feel there are too many of them. You really can't have Assassin Snails with Pond Snails because eventually the Assassins will reproduce until they consume the entire population. Nerites have a trapdoor that shields them from the Assassins so they are able to co-exist plus Nerites cannot reproduce under typical aquarium conditions so they might be the answer if you want to keep the snail population strictly controlled.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Im new to this forum, so I should have been more clear, which is my bad. I keep several of these fish, and have kept community tanks before. One of my betta is very chill and a good community fish. I also dont generally like keeping large fish, so oscars and the such are a big no for me. I am wanting a larger tank so i can have more small fish. Lastly, my tanks have no filter as I use the walstad method, which is also why i prefer smaller fish. The reason i asked about loaches is im not sure if i can keep them in such a large walstad tank. My kohli loaches in my 40g community dont eat any of my snails, so i was wondering if any other loaches didnt as well. I was on the fence about the gouramis, anyways, so i think i will go with some rasboras, maybe. I want this tank to be heavily planted as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 AM
Algae Grower

Just curious: why no filter?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1307 View Post
Just curious: why no filter?
Walstad method- definitely not a method for keeping fish for beginners.
Become adept at plants, adept with fish, then try Walstad.

Many people that do it ( beginners to fish-keeping and plants) cannot comprehend the complex processes that the author discusses in her book- so they rely on the internet to explain it. The method becomes lost in translation.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I use the walstad method for most of my aquariums. It is a method that utilizes the filtering and oxygenation properties of plants to keep you water at optimal levels. I, too, would recommend buying the book and thoroughly reading it before trying it out. I also recommend to try low tech first before trying walstad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode