Fluval Stratum and Snail shells - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fluval Stratum and Snail shells

Wondering if anyone has any experience keeping snails in a tank using Fluval Stratum Shrimp substrate?

The snails shells weren't exactly perfect when they arrived but several of them have clearly gotten worse since entering the tank. This is my first time purposely keeping snails and even though I have done a good deal of research on the snails (ramshorn) themselves the affect of Fluval's low PH buffering on their shells is something Im just starting to grasp. I started adding eggshells to the tank a few weeks back but I'm not sure if that's doing anything. The GH does seem to be 2 drops higher than my first attempt at testing GH.

Water Specifics: PH: 6.4-6.5 Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 10 KH: 1 drop GH: 5 drops

I'm less certain about the KH because it never turns blue for my tank water. On the first drop it has a light yellow tinge.
For comparison my tap water reads between PH: 7.2 and 7.6, KH 4 drops GH 6 drops.

I'm currently running a little experiment to see what the affect of a small piece of cuttlebone is on a small cup of my tanks water. Apparently I need to wait 24-36 hours to test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Your problem isn't so much pH. It's hardness. That's why your snails' shells are looking rough. The only way to solve the problem is to bump your hardness up.

Do you have access to something like Salty Shrimp or another brand of remineralizing agent? That would help with hardness and improve life for your snails.

While Fluval Stratum does have some buffering capability, I've found it doesn't last nearly as long as other products and it can be exhausted rather quickly if you have harder water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Your problem isn't so much pH. It's hardness. That's why your snails' shells are looking rough. The only way to solve the problem is to bump your hardness up.

Do you have access to something like Salty Shrimp or another brand of remineralizing agent? That would help with hardness and improve life for your snails.

While Fluval Stratum does have some buffering capability, I've found it doesn't last nearly as long as other products and it can be exhausted rather quickly if you have harder water.
I can look into something like that to possibly add. Do you think adding cuttelbone to my filter would assist with my snails shell health without any adverse affects?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Cuttlebone will help a little bit. Same goes for crushed coral (probably a better option). But based on your post history, it looks like your tank is 29gal? If that's the case, you'll be better off getting a remineralizing agent. I like Salty Shrimp but that's just personal preference. There are several other products on the market that would serve you well.

That said... your water parameters sound potentially ideal for a number of shrimp varieties. Have you considered Crystals or anything like that?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Cuttlebone will help a little bit. Same goes for crushed coral (probably a better option). But based on your post history, it looks like your tank is 29gal? If that's the case, you'll be better off getting a remineralizing agent. I like Salty Shrimp but that's just personal preference. There are several other products on the market that would serve you well.

That said... your water parameters sound potentially ideal for a number of shrimp varieties. Have you considered Crystals or anything like that?
My original idea was to get shrimp at some point. I'll most likely go with amano shrimp however.

My little experiment showed the KH going from 1 to 4 and GH from 5 to 8 This was a small piece in tank water for around 2 days. Though this test also shows my tank water PH having went back up to 7.2 -7.6 range which I imagine could be due to being removed from the buffering of the Fluval Stratum.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

pH isn't really something you should be concerning yourself with too much. It's KH & GH that really matter in this instance.

Just find a decent remineralizing agent like Salty Shrimp and you'll be good to go. Fewer headaches all around.
livebearerlove likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
fluval stratum, ph test, snail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode