Tankpocalypse Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Tankpocalypse Help

Hi everyone! A while ago I started up a planted shrimp tank and all was going well! Then, we added 8 Mosquito Rasboras, a few more shrimp, and some of those floater plants. Keep in mind that this tank was well cycled, and I had tested the water a couple times before and everything was good. But then everyone started dying, one by one! Every night either a shrimp or a fish was found dead, and it got so bad that I'm left with only 2 rasboras (which I feel so bad about since they're schooling fish). During this I got my water tested and the people are the aquarium store said it was totally fine, and they were probably just dying from the stress of moving, but all this happened a week after bringing the fish in, plus the shrimp had no reason for dying.

Basically, we had no idea what happened. The only thing we can think of was that we had a couple little clay decorations with glaze on it and think maybe the glaze dissolved into the water? But even then it's weird because they had been in the tank since day 1. Either way, we took them out. It's been about two months since this happened, and the two rasboras are seemingly doing well (same with the snail that must've come in on a plant unfortunately). I've been doing mostly regular water changes, a little off since I was travelling for a month and had a friend watch the tank.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on when we can bring some new life into the tank. I'd love to get some more rasboras so have a school again for the two survivors, but I definitely don't want to get more if they'll just die again. I'm not sure why only the two of them lived, either. Plus, it was originally just a shrimp tank and I'd love to have shrimp again!

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Almost sounds like a environmental contaminant. If you had crashed your cycle the fish store would have been able to detect ammonia or nitrite in system, at least if you got water sample to them quick enough.

Was some one using pungent cleaning chemicals or spraying Lysol etc around tank?

PS: you should invest in your own test kits so you can keep a eye on your water parameters yourself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

Were you using a liquid carbon product (Excel or similar)?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

No, I haven't used either a liquid carbon product or any cleaning chemicals around the tank.

Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to get my own test kit. Maybe this weekend...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Those types of losses are so hard to take! FWIW, I always make sure I don't have anything on my hands like lotion, salve, bug spray, soap residue etc. when I am working in my tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode