Does anyone know off-hand.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone know off-hand....

What the deflection of the front and back of a fully-filled Aqueon 40g breeder is? I'm preparing to cut glass panes to rest inside the factory rim and need to know if I should worry about the deflection at the top for dimensional purposes.

Or, can anyone measure theirs for me? I would just need the dimension of the inside of the rim at the end and in the middle. I can't measure mine because it's not filled yet.

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

I have no idea what brand my 40B is but from front to back, measured inside the plastic rim (the "wall" of the rim above the horizontal lip) it is 17 3/16" at the ends, and 17 7/16" in the middle. So a full 1/4" wider in the middle. The horizontal lip itself is 3/8" wide though, so I think you would be safe to go with a rectangular piece that fits tighter at the ends but would still completely cover the opening in the middle. I'm sure that's the approach commercial glass tops take.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I have no idea what brand my 40B is but from front to back, measured inside the plastic rim (the "wall" of the rim above the horizontal lip) it is 17 3/16" at the ends, and 17 7/16" in the middle. So a full 1/4" wider in the middle. The horizontal lip itself is 3/8" wide though, so I think you would be safe to go with a rectangular piece that fits tighter at the ends but would still completely cover the opening in the middle. I'm sure that's the approach commercial glass tops take.
Thanks kind stranger! If anyone else wants to chime in with theirs, it would be nice to get a few and average them. I think the lip on mine is around that same size so you're probably right, especially considering that the commercial glass tops don't usually account for the difference either.

I have MTS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Aqueon makes a nice lid for the tank but I'm curious if your getting tempered glass with sanded edges ? I need some for my 120 and 125

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

It might be too late, but I definitely have an Aqueon 40B:

(My screen cover narrows a bit in the middle.)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
It might be too late, but I definitely have an Aqueon 40B:

(My screen cover narrows a bit in the middle.)
Super, from what you and Michael have posted I don't believe it will be much of an issue.

And for your question Aku, I'm sending the dimensions to a local glass cutting outfit for some tempered glass panes with polished edges. Two total, identical irregular hexagons. "Irregular hexagons" is somewhat misleading, although technically correct. Basically two rectangles with the corners cut off on one side to allow for plumbing. With both together, it looks a bit like this:

I'm going to 3D print some triangular clip-on covers for whichever openings I end up not using (at least, if I can get my 3D printer working again).

I have MTS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

I like these alot but do you think it's ok for o2 exchange.
I run a dehumidifier in my nano fish room but I want to get some like this for my 125 display in the living space.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
I like these alot but do you think it's ok for o2 exchange.
I run a dehumidifier in my nano fish room but I want to get some like this for my 125 display in the living space.

This is just for the display tank. It is going to have a sump/refugium/algae scrubber in a 20g long tank in the cabinet below, so not too worried about O2 exchange.

I have MTS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode