Opinions on restocking - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 60 gallon tank is currently stocked with:
6 Angels
9 Black phantom tetras
6 neon tetras (had ten two years ago and am removing them because soon the angles will eat them)
6 bronze Corys (saved from a store)
3 bristlenose plecos (about six 2 inch fry I'll be giving away soon)

Four months ago I added my juvenile angels. Recently my angelfish formed a pair (this was the plan all along and is the reason for this post)

Tank size:
Hight 57 cm
Length 100 cm
Width 45 cm

Tank is rather heavily planted and will soon be adding some more tall plants to the background to fill it in a bit more
(low tech).

Now I want to get rid of all the tetras and all the angelfish except the pair. Planning on leaving the bottom feeders (except fry) and was hoping to maybe add three leopard frog plecos.

About the pair, they recently bred and ate the eggs (pictures attached). The male (completely orange angel) is constantly fighting with platinum angel which is most likely also a male. I was wondering if it's safe to remove the other angels and if I can be confident that the two that laid eggs have bonded. I was thinking of waiting to see if I get more pairs from some of the smaller angels (really don't want to have to give up the blue angel.
What are your thoughts? Should I remove all the angels now or wait a bit? What about the tetras?
Should I maybe only remove the platinum first, let the other angels that haven't bonded grow out and see if I get another pair? I believe the tank can support two pairs especially if I add more, taller plants to break up the line of sight.

Tank in general:

Breeding pair:

Blue angel I'd like to keep:

Platinum:

Video of male aggression:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ce3d190...1-132118-1.mp4

Would like to add that this system has been running for a bit over two years (plant stocking and placement has changed recently)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-23-2019 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode