• 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By reddhawkk
  • 1 Post By TDSapp
  • 1 Post By Yaboihunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Give me some ideas 45g tall?

I just was walking down the road with my kids and a neighbor was putting out a fish tank for garbage. Its a 45-50g tall I assume? the measurements are 29.5" long x 17"wide 22.5 high (probably not perfect if anything I measured it a little small). Ill post some pictures when I get a minute it has some glass and other garbage I have to clean out before my GF will let me bring it in the house.

We have 3 boys a 5yo and 3yo twins. Im looking for a fun inexpensive project to do with them. Id like to maybe collect some local plants (rochester area NY) and maybe do some small fish like guppies or something that sticks together. Obviously since im here I wanna plant it and go low light. Ill have to buy a light and filter. If you have any pictures of a cool looking tank similar or some ideas please post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water Sprite is very fast growing and does great in lower light. You can plant an entire tank with a 5$ bunch of it in no time using only Osmocote root tabs like I did with the one pictured below. It launches floaters to the surface that can then be planted or you can leave them floating. A pair of Angelfish might look nice in a tank that size. They're inexpensive, beautiful, and entertaining, but they require some know-how to care for if you're willing to do the research.
There's a lot of potential directions with a tank that size.

ChrisJ likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

free image hosting

Thats what im working with. Its kinda tall do you think the sprite would fill it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM
Planted Member

Nice big Aponogeton Ulvaceorus bulb, gets about 16-17+tall.

Few stalks of hygrophila corymbosa, also to 12-17 range.

Then a few Anubis and crypt plants for forgound. All very easy low light stuff.

Maybe some lugwigia repens for mid sized redder accent.

All very affordable plants that only need modest lighting, do fine with just plain gravel or some saf-t-sorb as gravel and only require light dosing of a good all in one fert to look good.

Then just get big schools of brass tetra and rasbora het or similar. Maybe some marble hatchet fish to swarm around surface.
ChrisJ likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For a tall tank like that I would do a scape on a stick. What I mean is get a few pieces of drift wood attach plants like java fern, anubias and some moss to them and stick them somewhat vertically into the tank in the center. This will give you a good central focus area and the fish will swim around it and through it Plus they are all very low light, low fert and don't require much trimming.

Doing stems in a tall tank gets old really fast in terms of trimming and maintenance.
ChrisJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Don't forget Amazon swords. +1 on the angels. I have a 45 tall that my blue angels will be going into with Amazon swords and likely some of the aforementioned plants.
Jrb3368 likes this.

RAOK Club #55
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I live right on a lake so driftwood wouldnt be too hard to come by. Are any of these plants native to NY by chance? Its not necessary but would be fun to go get our own plants.

Also I was wondering if something like my horrible picture I just drew on paint was possible? I joined a bonsai reddit just to ask if there are any indoor bonsai there are relatively high humidity high water I could use. And do a little river that feeds into the tank?

photo sharing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Planted Member

It can all be done... Want proof, just head over to Pinterest and do a search on Aquascaping. There are thousands and thousands of photos of tanks that have been set up to look like everything and anything. Some of them may make you think "No way that is real!" and some of them are "Holy Crap, I might be able to do that."

Its all in how much time you want to spend on it.
Yaboihunt likes this.

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Algae Grower

Here is my 45 gal tall its identical to the tank you have there.

YaBoiHunt
Jrb3368 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post
Here is my 45 gal tall its identical to the tank you have there.

YaBoiHunt
Hey that looks good. Do you have shrimp in there? Ive always been partial to CBS and CRS. Also is yours tempered glass? This damn thing is way heavier than the acrylics ive always had.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

Yes its tempered glass as its an older tank (Im almost positive mine has the date on it inside the rim of the top and says 2001) which does make it weigh more. The glass from the sides look super thick!! Also yes I do keep shrimp I have about ten ghost shrimp in there right now which is why the chola wood is in there. I have been waiting to find some rcs or maybe some crystal blacks to add in also.

YaBoiHunt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
Hey that looks good. Do you have shrimp in there? Ive always been partial to CBS and CRS. Also is yours tempered glass? This damn thing is way heavier than the acrylics ive always had.
Hi Chris if you like to keep shrimps make sure to do a bit of research. For example rocks that you use for aquascape might effect you live stock

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode