• 1 Post By Quint
  • 2 Post By TDSapp
  • 1 Post By straha20
  • 1 Post By Cinnamonamon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
difference between pleco & algae wafers?

I accidentally bought Pleco wafers...can I use them for my cherry shrimp, mystery snails and otos? I usually get algae wafers...

Thx!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 05-14-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: title adjustment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
I accidentally bought Pleco wafers...can I use them for my cherry shrimp, mystery snails and otos? I usually get algae wafers...

Thx!
Higher quality pleco wafers will often include animal protein in them rather than pure vegetable ingredients. Either will be good for the animals you've mentioned.
livebearerlove likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thx!
Shouldn't be a problem. Which brand is it?

/Q

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you look at the ingredients- depending on brand, they may just be a label. I think pleco wafers 'sometimes' have more protein... however many brands of algae wafers have more fillers and 'fish meal' as a main ingredient (ingredients are listed from most to least on the label... once you start looking you may be surprised to find important things like spirulina is towards the bottom and things like 'wheat' at the top, ugh).

I use lots of boiled slices of veggies- zuchini is my Oto/shrimps favorite as the fish usually eat the wafers

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It looks like they are tetra brand -- they had a weird 2nd color in the center of them, which threw me off! I had some "use it or lose it" coupon at Petsmart and I accidentally grabbed these instead of their plain algae wafers. The little dudes usually get Hikari brand algae wafers. IIRC, they didn't have an ingredients list, but to be honest, they've been at the bottom of the bin (at home, and I usually visit the forum when I'm at work lol) for a couple months and I don't remember for sure. I'm also not always sure what to avoid feeding in community tank situations (aside from the copper thing), so I was nervous! Thanks everyone.

@livebearerlove everyone always says zucchini! The problem is, then *I* would have to eat the rest of it! I bought all the ingredients for some snello, which I'm sure everyone in the tank will enjoy, but to be honest, I generally feed all the little dudes canned green beans. It is hilarious to see the shrimp climbing inside a green bean "skin." I tried raw spinach (frozen, then warmed, to break it down a bit), but none of the shrimp or the snails would touch it.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It looks like they are tetra brand -- they had a weird 2nd color in the center of them, which threw me off! I had some "use it or lose it" coupon at Petsmart and I accidentally grabbed these instead of their plain algae wafers. The little dudes usually get Hikari brand algae wafers. IIRC, they didn't have an ingredients list, but to be honest, they've been at the bottom of the bin (at home, and I usually visit the forum when I'm at work lol) for a couple months and I don't remember for sure. I'm also not always sure what to avoid feeding in community tank situations (aside from the copper thing), so I was nervous! Thanks everyone.

@livebearerlove everyone always says zucchini! The problem is, then *I* would have to eat the rest of it! I bought all the ingredients for some snello, which I'm sure everyone in the tank will enjoy, but to be honest, I generally feed all the little dudes canned green beans. It is hilarious to see the shrimp climbing inside a green bean "skin." I tried raw spinach (frozen, then warmed, to break it down a bit), but none of the shrimp or the snails would touch it.
Didnt your mother tell you to eat your veggies?
I chop off a 'slice' about 1/4 inch thick. Boil it, place in freezer to cool down. Attache to a paper clip. Remove after an hour or so...
The green beans sounds interesting- Ill try that and see if they 'bite'! haha! I just dont keep canned or packages anything in the house (except for our emergency kit) as I have systemic mastocytosis- the additives/cooking/fermentation causes problems for me.

The rest of the zucchini I keep in the fridge- should keep for over a week. But yes, YOU should eat your veggies! zucchini provides potassium, magnesium, vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, K, calcium and manganese. Put it in a stir fry or slice and dip it in dressing for a snack (ok... off my soap box).

Last edited by livebearerlove; 05-15-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I added a smile so it doesnt make me sound aggressive :)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Planted Member

I was looking at those pleco wafers when I was trying to find a test kit yesterday. Thought they would be good for the OTOs but the ingredients list started with wheat and soy and some other wheat then some other filler stuff. I ended up not getting them. Even the algae wafers from hikari have alot of fillers in them however they do seem to enjoy them sometimes.

Everyone loves the zucchini, noone touches the spinach. Ill have to try the canned green beans.

I also make some of the repache (spelling) green, do a flat thinner wafer then freeze it in a zip lock. Break off a piece every once in a while. They seem to eat it ok.
livebearerlove likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Didnt your mother tell you to eat your veggies?
I chop off a 'slice' about 1/4 inch thick. Boil it, place in freezer to cool down. Attache to a paper clip. Remove after an hour or so...
The green beans sounds interesting- Ill try that and see if they 'bite'! haha! I just dont keep canned or packages anything in the house (except for our emergency kit) as I have systemic mastocytosis- the additives/cooking/fermentation causes problems for me.

The rest of the zucchini I keep in the fridge- should keep for over a week. But yes, YOU should eat your veggies! zucchini provides potassium, magnesium, vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, K, calcium and manganese. Put it in a stir fry or slice and dip it in dressing for a snack (ok... off my soap box).
LOL I am a happy veggie eater -- just not zucchini (unless it's cooked for me...then I use my manners and put up with it, LOL). I love spinach, squash, sprouts, broccoli, peppers, beans of all sorts, carrots, peas, etc. etc.

Canned veggies are a regular in our house mostly because that is what my husband and I grew up with, and they are super convenient. I am trying to wean us onto frozen veggies though (when we aren't on our game enough to prepare fresh...which is pretty common, sadly). We have 3 boys and are in those super busy middle/high school years. I had dinner at 9pm last night, lol.

Soapbox it up, though -- I had to yell at my husband last month and tell him that I would never apologize for insisting that their be a vegetable on the table at dinner. He thinks a chunk of meat, and maybe some potatoes are more than sufficient, lol. Also, I tell them all that potatoes are more starch than vegetable, so they don't count (shhhh, don't tell).

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

I was sitting at work one day and watching the shrimp tank while eating a banana. I recalled Marc from the Marine club dropping banana in his saltwater tank and the fish loved it. So I dropped in a small chunk of the banana in the tank. It was so funny to see the shrimp go after it. They actually started fighting over it until it split in half and they each took their part to a corner and ate it.

Tim
deeda and Discusluv like this.

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
I was sitting at work one day and watching the shrimp tank while eating a banana. I recalled Marc from the Marine club dropping banana in his saltwater tank and the fish loved it. So I dropped in a small chunk of the banana in the tank. It was so funny to see the shrimp go after it. They actually started fighting over it until it split in half and they each took their part to a corner and ate it.

Tim

ooh, we always have banana laying around -- I'll have to try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I was looking at those pleco wafers when I was trying to find a test kit yesterday. Thought they would be good for the OTOs but the ingredients list started with wheat and soy and some other wheat then some other filler stuff. I ended up not getting them. Even the algae wafers from hikari have alot of fillers in them however they do seem to enjoy them sometimes.

Everyone loves the zucchini, noone touches the spinach. Ill have to try the canned green beans.

I also make some of the repache (spelling) green, do a flat thinner wafer then freeze it in a zip lock. Break off a piece every once in a while. They seem to eat it ok.
Good to know! I probably won't buy them again, but I'll use them up to be thrifty! I'm contemplating attempting an algae-growing-on-rocks experiment in my window...I think the otos, shrimp, mystery snails, nerite snail, pest snails, and twig catfish are running out of food! If only they'd eat the GSA... *sigh*

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have always preferred the Omega One products. A bit more expensive, but high quality. Take a look at the ingredient list...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, I tell them all that potatoes are more starch than vegetable, so they don't count (shhhh, don't tell).
HA! I got a good chuckle from that! When I was in university, I was getting my Master in Science- focusing on biology- somehow I got really into food/cuisine/anthropology... and then, and then.... I am a chef/restaurateur and moonlight as a nutritionist (living in so many countries I had to change careers multiple times).... so I could chat all day long. I suppose that is why my fish are so well fed

Try feeding your fish fresh... you might pick up the habit If anything get a mandolin. Slice them thin and add them to salad like a cucumber. Nommmie!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straha20 View Post
I have always preferred the Omega One products. A bit more expensive, but high quality. Take a look at the ingredient list...

I will spring for these next time, thx!
straha20 likes this.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 05-15-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: .
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by straha20 View Post

Not to Hijack this post.... but it is on a wet/dry matter measure (similar to dog food). When baked at a extreme temp the nutritional properties diminish substantially in progeins. In this case, I actually took it from their website.... that company does the same thing, worse even on a wet/dry matter basis measurement.

Ingredients:
Salmon, Whole Herring, Wheat Germ, Wheat Flour, Kelp, Rice Bran, Spirulina, Pea Protein, Whole Shrimp, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Ethoxyquin A1:Q19 BHT (Preservative), BHA (Preservative), Natural and Artificial Colors, Ascorbyl Monophosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Inositol, Folic Acid, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein….35%
Min. Crude Fat……….10%
Max. Crude Fiber…….4%
Max. Moisture………. 8.5%
Max. Ash……………..9%

Breaking it down- it is mostly made of wheat. Yucky.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode