• 1 Post By JMThor
  • 1 Post By Cinnamonamon
  • 1 Post By JMThor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! New tank problems

I started my heavily planted, dirted tank about 2 weeks ago. I added some otos and some RCS which I got from petco (which is the only store within 2.5 hours), but they nearly all died. The otos developed red underneath their gills, which is characteristic of ammonia toxicity, but it has never gone above 0.25 ppm. I didn't have this problem at all with my two previous tanks, but that was in Chicago, where the water is fairly different from Flagstaff, where I currently live. In my previous tanks, I waited a week after start, added the same fauna and they all flourished. Additionally, there is this really weird wavy white stuff all over the tank glass, which I thought was snail eggs, but the white specks seem much smaller than I remember. Does anyone know what this stuff is growing on my planted tank glass?

My tank is a 29 gallon, heavily planted, dirted tank with 1 inch of MGOPS and about 3/4 inch of Black Diamond Blasting sand. I also have some local manzanita and lava rock, both of which I had boiled before putting in. I tested the parameters yesterday and they were: pH 7.4, Amm 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, GH 6, and KH 5.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I feel terrible about my animals.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 AM
Planted Member

The black diamond blasting sand often has a ton if residual stuff in it other than the sand itself.
The stuff is actually a coal slag. Chances are it has some type of chemical still in it and isn't washed quite enough.
I always wash mine for a long time with hot water. Hot water is key.
I then put it into a junk tank with a heater maxed out at 96° with a hang on back filter running with only filter floss in it. You would be surprised by the stuff that comes out.
From my experience, if it looks black it still has gunk in it. Mine tends to be more gray.
JMThor likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant46290 View Post
The black diamond blasting sand often has a ton if residual stuff in it other than the sand itself.
The stuff is actually a coal slag. Chances are it has some type of chemical still in it and isn't washed quite enough.
I always wash mine for a long time with hot water. Hot water is key.
I then put it into a junk tank with a heater maxed out at 96° with a hang on back filter running with only filter floss in it. You would be surprised by the stuff that comes out.
From my experience, if it looks black it still has gunk in it. Mine tends to be more gray.
Thanks, I think you are probably right. I washed it very thoroughly, as was suggested to me, but I didn't read anything about washing it in hot water, so I doubt it got much out. Do you think I should try and remove it and replace it once the plants are more established? They seem to actually be doing fine.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's always better to wait at least a month or even two with a dirted tank to add livestock. You even still had ammonia Even if they lived in one setup its still not a good idea. Get the plants growing and purifying the water. Even without the possible chemicals from the BS I doubt those particular fish/shrimp would have survived.
JMThor and Thelongsnail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

+1 to Asteroid -- I'd let the tank mature a bit more before adding such sensitive inhabitants. I added 3 otos to my super heavily planted 29 gallon, a couple weeks ago. I never saw one of the otos again, and the 2nd was dead within a week. Now there is just one, to keep the original one company. They are SUCH sensitive fish! Everywhere I read it is suggested that you let a tank mature for 3-6 months before introducing shrimp, to make sure they have enough to eat...I'm not sure if it's completely necessary to wait that long, but it's something to consider. From what I could see from the video, you have a gorgeous tank & it will only get even more amazing as time goes on!

Are there any other fish you could keep in there for a while? If you're completely cycled, I mean? If you have another tank you could take a couple fish from that one and let them chill in this palace to help it mature!
JMThor and Asteroid like this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, it's really tough to know what is correct with all of the different info you get on here. I've read it's fine to add fauna with low ammonia and I have also read that it is not fine, so I should have hedged my bets and waited since ammonia isn't the only thing that potentially stabilizes in a tank with so many factors. Especially introducing such sensitive fish. Looks like I'll play the waiting game and do semi-frequent water changes despite the usual parameters, to help pull anything else out that could be leaching/accumulating. Thanks everyone!
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMThor View Post
Yeah, it's really tough to know what is correct with all of the different info you get on here. I've read it's fine to add fauna with low ammonia and I have also read that it is not fine, so I should have hedged my bets and waited since ammonia isn't the only thing that potentially stabilizes in a tank with so many factors. Especially introducing such sensitive fish. Looks like I'll play the waiting game and do semi-frequent water changes despite the usual parameters, to help pull anything else out that could be leaching/accumulating. Thanks everyone!
Someone said they had been "reading until their eyes bled," and I totally understood the sentiment! I've done the same! I think the biggest issue here is that you chose sensitive/delicate inhabitants. Also, purchasing from a big box store (not that we always have much of a choice on that) is a complete crapshoot, lol.

In any case, good luck! Waiting is the hardest part -- I just added some cherry shrimp to my newish tank yesterday, and I'm not sure if they'll make it -- though more due to the bettas in there than due to the lack of food. Fortunately I have another tank with 100+ shrimp, so worst case scenerio, my fish get a high protein snack!
JMThor likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
Someone said they had been "reading until their eyes bled," and I totally understood the sentiment! I've done the same! I think the biggest issue here is that you chose sensitive/delicate inhabitants. Also, purchasing from a big box store (not that we always have much of a choice on that) is a complete crapshoot, lol.

In any case, good luck! Waiting is the hardest part -- I just added some cherry shrimp to my newish tank yesterday, and I'm not sure if they'll make it -- though more due to the bettas in there than due to the lack of food. Fortunately I have another tank with 100+ shrimp, so worst case scenerio, my fish get a high protein snack!
Haha, I definitely feel that way. I'm also studying for the national nursing exam (NCLEX). I sure picked an interesting time to start this, but I'm honestly glad I did; it's a nice break from studying nursing stuff. Good luck with your newish tank and shrimp! My shrimp in my old tanks began breeding, so I know I can get there once this tank is cycled and the kinks are worked out.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Tags
help identifying, otocinclus death, rcs death, white slime

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode