Pellets vs. Flakes - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pellets vs. Flakes

Is one better than the other? What do other members of the forum prefer? Why or why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to be a pain but I use both flakes one day and micro pellets the other, my fish seem happy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:07 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

It is best to feed a wide range of foods for the best health for your fish, so as mentioned, using both flakes and pellets would be better than just one alone (of course, be sure to compare the ingredients as well)!
zak.payne, chayos00 and Discusluv like this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

I feed a 'special blend' of high quality flake foods in conjunction with live foods...(daphnia, micro worms, grindal worms, white worms and soon perhaps scuds). The most important thing (as mentioned) is the ingredient list. Some fish foods are made using lower quality fish meal with copious amounts of grain/grain starch as binder/filler. Fish don't handle grains (carbs) well so in addition to less nutritious, it passes through as excess waste that pollutes the water.
Fish meal is non-descript and can be post processing waste (heads, skin, bone), loaded with preservatives, ground, dried, and stored in a warehouse for who knows how long until ordered/shipped to a fish food mfg.
The best foods will be made with fresh (or frozen) [whole] fish, or WHOLE fish meals.
Ingredients are listed in order by weight. I read a while back that foods that list fresh fish may also include the ice it's packed in! When processed into flake or pellet, it could actually be much lower in the ingredient list. The article suggested that the best fish foods may list whole fish meal as the first ingredient. Some manufacturers have switched to whole fish meal while labeling may still just indicate 'fish meal'...confusing I know.
Read the label for ingredients. Buyer beware.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All great responses, thank you! For those pellet/flake users, is there a brand(s) that you'd recommend?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak.payne View Post
All great responses, thank you! For those pellet/flake users, is there a brand(s) that you'd recommend?

> Omega One - uses fresh/frozen whole fish.
> Almost Natural - Ed uses table quality frozen fish in his blends.
> Tetramin, New Life Spectrum, Cobalt, and Ocean Nutrition all offer premium tropical fish foods that use whole fish meal.
zak.payne and Quagulator like this.

Tank On, Mike-

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak.payne View Post
Is one better than the other? What do other members of the forum prefer? Why or why not?
Zak,

It really depends on the type of fish you're keeping. Some do better with pellets; especially the small-mouthed ones, and some do better with flakes. My recommendation would be to get a high quality food and figure out which type/size works best for your fish.
zak.payne likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have endlers-
Adults: Morning pellets, flakes as treats/snacks, frozen bloodworms/veggies (fish frenzy or emerald) or live brine shrimp for dinner

Fry: First bites for breakfast, frozen bloodworms/veggies (Fish Frenzy or emerald) for lunch and live brine shrimp for dinner.... as they get older I switch to crushed flake food for breakfast.... some of the adults eat some of the fry food as well.

Ottos/Shrimp: Algae wafers once a week

Im my opinion pellets keep the water cleaner trhan frozen food and flakes (I see more waste). But my endler fry are too tiny to eat pellets and instead make the water icky fast!

I started culturing Dafnia.... brilliant. No more salt water mess- I highly recommend it!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

Last edited by livebearerlove; 05-21-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Dafnia for the win!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Planted Member

My betta tank (betta, amanos, nerite, 2 otos) gets betta pellets with occasional micro pellets and frozen bloodworms couple times a week. The betta eats any of it. The OTOs get some frozen repashy green once a week and some kind of veggie once or twice a week.

My other tank (juliis, ember tetras, CPDs, RCS and brown emeralds, otos, nerites) gets micro pellets, various flake type depending on what I grab that afternoon, frozen bloodworms same as above, carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets. Plenty of algae to feed the others but will add same as above if ever its cleaned up.

The one thing no one likes except the shrimp is the omega one regular flake. Not sure why. They will pick at it but overall ignore it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
The one thing no one likes except the shrimp is the omega one regular flake. Not sure why. They will pick at it but overall ignore it.
+1.... but I usually try to feed the flake when im feeding live dafnia. So technically maybe they just prefer the live dafnia more? So I switch to Tropica and they eat it up.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use New Life Spectrum Foods for prepared. Excellent quality. But, I feed a mixtuyre of prepared, freeze-dried, and frozen foods to all my fish.

I feed NLS community flake in the 180g in morning with a mixture of pellets to satisfy different fish: Algaemax, cichlid, and Thera-A.

In evening feed either freeze dried blackworms, frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp.

My 60 gallon has discus and Altum Angels.
Ive tried many types of pellets- but, they prefer flake food, so I feed only flake in am..

Afternoon- 1 cube freeze-dried blackworms.
Evening- 2 cubes frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp.

2 -30 gallons- discus

Same as 60 gallon, but less.

I also use liquid vitamins in food at least once weekly. Boyd's Vitachem.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
> Omega One - uses fresh/frozen whole fish.
> Almost Natural - Ed uses table quality frozen fish in his blends.
> Tetramin, New Life Spectrum, Cobalt, and Ocean Nutrition all offer premium tropical fish foods that use whole fish meal.
I love experimenting with new foods, but admittedly don't notice a difference in the color or activity levels of my fish. What's your experience been like with Almost Natural? The marketing on the website says all the right stuff, but I've never heard of it and a quick search on the internet for reviews doesn't show much conversation besides a few forum post/reviews from many years back when he was sending out review units. Even reviews on the website are from many years ago, albeit they are overwhelmingly positive. I guess I'm just surprised given how great the food seems, that no one seems aware of it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feed flake,bloodworms,daphinia and,wafers right now . When I run out I will try something different . I get mine here....https://www.yourfishstuff.com/
I only have Platys,Corys,and Octo cats . I give the Octos cucumber a couple times a week , but the MTS like it more than they do....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use a combination of Omega One veggie pellets and New Life Spectrum Thera-A (garlic) pellets of different sizes, plus New Life Spectrum flake food. I also add Boydís Vitachem weekly. All of the foods are eagerly consumed. These brands seem to be a common thread among these threads.

Although some live foods are safe, I avoid them just due to the real risk of them being carriers of disease and parasites.
Leeatl likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
.......Although some live foods are safe, I avoid them just due to the real risk of them being carriers of disease and parasites.
Not when you culture them. I'm currently culturing micro worms, grindal worms, white worms, and daphnia. At 70% protein, white worms are a super food - great for growing out fish.

Tank On, Mike-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode