How do you calculate the height of water over a baffle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you calculate the height of water over a baffle?

As the subject indicates, I'm interested in whether anyone knows how to calculate how high water will be, if flowing over a baffle / weir. I've attached an image describing the problem.

In this example, water enters the sump via the yellow pipe on the left, at a flow rate of Q cubic meters per second. It passes over two baffles, and is pumped out of the sump at the same rate.

The water in the first chamber rises to height x1. The height of the first baffle is x2. The height of the water over the sump is thus h = x1 - x2.

Assuming the depth of the sump is D, I need to calculate h.

After doing a little research online I came across Bazin's formular (http://www.aquatext.com/calcs/weir%20flow.htm) for a sharp edged weir. Does anyone with experience know if this formula is appropriate for the problem as described? The numbers is calculated seemed to be reasonable (on the order of 1.5 cm for 1000 gallons per hour over a 20 cm wide baffle). How should the discharge coefficient be selected?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weir.png
Views:	5
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	881697  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode