Condensation on Glass Lid - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Condensation on Glass Lid

I recently set up what will be a low tech planted aquarium. It's a 10 gallon system with an Aquaclear 20 and a 100w heater at this point. My question is that I have a glass lid on the tank and there is condensation on it (albeit, it's not a terrible thing since it reduces evaporation). Anyway, I was wondering if this is going to have a significant impact on light penetration once I have it on the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

I don't think condensation is a huge issue.

It might have some impact on light penetration, but I wouldn't expect it to be overwhelming. Think of it this case. Worst case the entire lid is covered in droplets of water. That means that the light effectively has to penetrate another 0.1" or so of water. That's not a huge deal when the light is penetrating probably 10+" of water anyway. What temperature is your aquarium set for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FreshwaterCentral Dot Com - My Freshwater Aquarium Advice Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMHO at least 1” at back of tank should be left open for proper gas exchange.
CharleeFoxtrot likes this.

Last edited by DaveKS; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Typo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

Condensation will impact light penetration if it allows algae or calcium deposit on the glass lid. For algae, you can eliminate it if you dose excel or spray with peroxide during water change. If you have hard water and go low tech, you will have calcium deposit and you have to clean it with vinegar periodically. I use CO2 that dissolve calcium so itís not a problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterCentral View Post
I don't think condensation is a huge issue.

It might have some impact on light penetration, but I wouldn't expect it to be overwhelming. Think of it this case. Worst case the entire lid is covered in droplets of water. That means that the light effectively has to penetrate another 0.1" or so of water. That's not a huge deal when the light is penetrating probably 10+" of water anyway. What temperature is your aquarium set for?
The tank is set to 75 at the moment. Happy to hear the condensation shouldn't be an issue.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Condensation will impact light penetration if it allows algae or calcium deposit on the glass lid. For algae, you can eliminate it if you dose excel or spray with peroxide during water change. If you have hard water and go low tech, you will have calcium deposit and you have to clean it with vinegar periodically. I use CO2 that dissolve calcium so itís not a problem.
I plan to wipe off the lid weekly during regular maintenance, so I'm hoping that does the trick keeping everything clean.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode