Cloudiness, Be Gone! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Cloudiness, Be Gone!

Hello all. I've had my new aquarium setup for about 3 weeks now. First one since moving states 3 years ago and leaving the hobby for a while. I'm dealing with an issue I've not dealt with before, at least for as long. Cloudiness! That white haze just won't seem to let up. Some stats:

46 gallon tank with injected co2, ei ferts with added dtpa iron. 2x 30w led flood lights @6500k, 10 hrs per day. ~70 PAR at substrate. BDBS substrate with osmocote plus tabs. Marineland magniflow 360 filter with added purigen, rest as it comes.
PH: 6.5 with co2 injected
GH : 10
KH: 5
No2: ~0.5
Stock: 15 adult guppies, 1 dwarf gourami, 3 true siamese algae eaters, 11 green neon, 2 nerite, 1 mystery, 2 Amano shrimp

So, I started with substrate and water, dosing stability for a week. Added plants and fish. That's a bit over 2 weeks ago. I've had some growth but a lingering cloudiness. I'm not sure if it's cycling or something else, as anytime I've had it in the past its gone in a few days. Everyone in the tank seems happy, even some guppy fry born. I just want that crystal water! Also some GSA around but I'm not as concerned with that! Any ideas? Attached photo is day 1 on top, today on bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_185059-COLLAGE_1557535198670.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	881643  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple of thoughts:

- 3 weeks and still getting nitrite readings: probably not fully cycled. You may want to check that ammonia, as well. I'd be a little concerned for your fish. pH of 6.5 will slow any cycling that is trying to happen, but pulling back on CO2 might destabilize your plants and cause some algae problems. I'd risk that an let pH rise back into the mid 7's.
- Do a water change to drop the NO2 and perhaps NH3, which might become a problem as ph rises above 7 (fish concern again). I suspect that you rushed the fish introduction a little and now have to do a balancing act to get cycled while preserving your fish. Keep your eye on NO2 and total ammonia and be prepared to do water changes if they rise. Seachem Prime can also be a quick life saver, but use it only as an emergency. While it's safe, I'd rather avoid it because it can reduce oxygen, which your BB need.
- Check your filter to be sure it's flowing well. Sometimes the internals may not be in position just right and you may not get the full output.
- Are you positive that it isn't slightly green in nature?
- 50 micron filter pads (Coralife Pure-Flo ) will clear it temporarily, but doing it several times may be enough until it works itself through.
- Be sure your tank is clean. Detritus, such as from over-feeding, can form bacteria that will cloud the water.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Thanks for the reply. My co2 goes off at night and the ph raises back to between 7 and 7.5 before coming back on. Filter is flowing well and I've added a 100 micron pad to the top to try and polish but that hasn't worked. Been about a week. The water isn't green at all as I've put some in a glass to compare several times. Just hazy white. Finally, I know I added fish too early, but the tank came with the guppies since I got it second hand for a steal. I had them in a tiny tank for a week and I couldn't hold off anymore 😕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
A couple of thoughts:

- 3 weeks and still getting nitrite readings: probably not fully cycled. You may want to check that ammonia, as well. I'd be a little concerned for your fish. pH of 6.5 will slow any cycling that is trying to happen, but pulling back on CO2 might destabilize your plants and cause some algae problems. I'd risk that an let pH rise back into the mid 7's.
- Do a water change to drop the NO2 and perhaps NH3, which might become a problem as ph rises above 7 (fish concern again). I suspect that you rushed the fish introduction a little and now have to do a balancing act to get cycled while preserving your fish. Keep your eye on NO2 and total ammonia and be prepared to do water changes if they rise. Seachem Prime can also be a quick life saver, but use it only as an emergency. While it's safe, I'd rather avoid it because it can reduce oxygen, which your BB need.
- Check your filter to be sure it's flowing well. Sometimes the internals may not be in position just right and you may not get the full output.
- Are you positive that it isn't slightly green in nature?
- 50 micron filter pads (Coralife Pure-Flo ) will clear it temporarily, but doing it several times may be enough until it works itself through.
- Be sure your tank is clean. Detritus, such as from over-feeding, can form bacteria that will cloud the water.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep bacterial cloud from using to many fish to cycle and most fish cycled tanks are going to take about a month and a half to settle in. Ok it came with 15 guppies, that would have been more than enough to start with, you didn’t have to go and add more. You’ve actually been very lucky with green neons, they can be hard to add to new tanks to begin with.

I’d actually go get about 12-15 pieces of frogbit to float around on surface temporarily to help with excess organics floating in water feeding bacteria cloud. Watch your nitrogen cycle like a hawk, limit feedings stringently, change 25% water twice a week and always have a batch water ready to go in case of emergency.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode