Will it grow into a butterfly???? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove
  • 4 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This came with my aquatic arts order....
He moves so fast! and nasty on his tail... has anyone seen the movie 'Slugs'?
https://youtu.be/MhPashZ4aYc

I put him in the fridge.... that slowed him down.
Seems to me that he belongs above the water surface.... but what is he?

BUMP: HELP!

I just found another IN my tank.... they came from Aquatic Arts..... They are the size of my endlers!!!
I put both of them in the fridge... they have barbs on their tails

Is it crane fly larvae?

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-14-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks like a terrestrial caterpillar to me, but I'm no expert. Not sure I would be inclined to try to save them. If you don't want a pet moth, the only other alternative would be turning them loose outside and I wouldn't do that with any non-native species. Of course these may be a native species, but not sure how you would tell. Perhaps a really good closeup photo and post it on Reddit -they have a What is this bug sub frequented by professional and amateur entomologists alike. Bet someone there could give a positive ID.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
E-mail back to Aquatic Arts and ask them. They may have found more on their end. I'd love to know what it is.

I've ordered several times from them with great results and they have wonderful customer service, too. Your critter creeps me out but hopefully it's harmless.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im convinced its a Crane Fly, also called a few other things..... First two images are the ones I have, the other photos is what I found online. They are like Giant Mosquitoes!

I just need to get confirmation- so I guess here we go! time to make a terrarium for some alien looking hitchhikers..... I have lost my mind!

I think I will name them 'thing 1' and 'thing 2' haha
If thats true, then what I thought was the butt is actually the mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 1.57.13 PM.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	881637  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 1.57.52 PM.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	881639  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
E-mail back to Aquatic Arts and ask them. They may have found more on their end. I'd love to know what it is.

I've ordered several times from them with great results and they have wonderful customer service, too. Your critter creeps me out but hopefully it's harmless.
I sent Henry the images as well- he is looking it up too. I agree that they have great customer service and great products.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

Those things are all over out here on the west coast. Get pretty big like the pics. They use to call them mosquito eaters even though they dont eat other bugs and are actually a nectar eater if I remember correctly.

I think some of the larvae are actual aquatic, we use to get them for fishing when I was a kid. Brook trout would snap them up in a heartbeat.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I would feed it to my turtle, nom nom nom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

Mothra

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I would feed it to my turtle, nom nom nom.
Im going to wait till it becomes a winged thingy... from what I understand they only live for a few days, then ill pin it and frame it and send it to my friends overseas.... 'Yes its true, this is the size of the mosquitoes in Minnesota- its our state bird'

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Im going to wait till it becomes a winged thingy... from what I understand they only live for a few days, then ill pin it and frame it and send it to my friends overseas.... 'Yes its true, this is the size of the mosquitoes in Minnesota- its our state bird'
If Minnesota is anything like it was when I was in North Dakota you are not too far off. Never seen so many and so large of skeeters in my life.

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glass Crane Fly larvae, some have a inch long "stinger" on their abdomen that lets them breathe air directly from the surface.

Perfectly harmless, their main foods are mostly dead plants and detritus. Their presence usually means the water their living in has little oxygen. and a load of dying plant material.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Glass Crane Fly larvae, some have a inch long "stinger" on their abdomen that lets them breathe air directly from the surface.

Perfectly harmless, their main foods are mostly dead plants and detritus. Their presence usually means the water their living in has little oxygen. and a load of dying plant material.

Great confirmation on crane fly!

I put them in a tupperware with some sod (dirt, decaying grass) and dead leaves. They are still alive- though admittedly one is really wriggly constantly trying to dig down deeper and the other is just fat. So maybe 'thing 2' is getting ready for metamorphosis? Either way, I check on my 'pet bugs' everyday...
Ill be sure to update with images when they reach the final stage.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Great confirmation on crane fly!

I put them in a tupperware with some sod (dirt, decaying grass) and dead leaves. They are still alive- though admittedly one is really wriggly constantly trying to dig down deeper and the other is just fat. So maybe 'thing 2' is getting ready for metamorphosis? Either way, I check on my 'pet bugs' everyday...
Ill be sure to update with images when they reach the final stage.

These are the 'good' crane flies that don't damage lawns, although I'm of the opinion lawns tend to be extreme energy and time sinks.

We've let our 'lawn' go native. It's mostly Clover, wild Alfalfa, Vetch, Daisies, Dandelions, native Blackberry, plantains and buttercups.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode