• 1 Post By djorijun
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By ipkiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Algae scraper vs Magnet

I just got an ADA 60p, it's all setup and I just realized that I don't have an algae magnet. I've read that people use algae scrapers for this tank but no one seems to show which ones they use.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good algae scraper or magnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djorijun View Post
I just got an ADA 60p, it's all setup and I just realized that I don't have an algae magnet. I've read that people use algae scrapers for this tank but no one seems to show which ones they use.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good algae scraper or magnet.
I Always use "razor" scrapers instead of magnets. From my experience I found that magnets tend to do the job very poorly, you have to push the magnet across the surface several times. (Sometimes the algae just won't come off) Its also very hard to clean with a magnet close to the substrate without disrupting it. Small rocks or particles could get stuck between the magnet as well causing you to scratch
the glas across the whole surface.

I use the Tetra Tec GS45 scraper and I'm very happy with it. It's very easy to remove algae even the more sturdy one's. They also sell extra blades so you can switch them out when the old one becomes blunt. It also scrape the glass both in upwards and downwards motion because it's a two side blade. Keep in mind to not move this kind of razor sideways as this could scratch the glass (Just use it as you use a regular razor). Be careful when scraping close to substrate. Don't use it close to silicon seals either, you don't want to accidently damage your seal. Use a normal scrubber for algae along the seals. There could be better scrapers out there but that's the one they sold at my store and I've been using it ever since.

Edit: I've also used some plastic algae scrapers however they tend to be useless as the plastic just goes blunt instantly and cant be replaced. Don't buy those.

/Q
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

Kind of tempting - must admit Iíve always used a magnet.

Do the blades stay sharp for decent while?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Kind of tempting - must admit Iíve always used a magnet.

Do the blades stay sharp for decent while?
Yes, they do from my experience. My tetra tec removes algae very efficiently, so once the glass is clean from "etched" algae its very easy to maintain. I usually just have to scrape the surface to remove thin bio-film and some algae so there isn't much tear and wear on the blade once you keep it going on a regular basis, thus the blade stays sharper longer before I need to replace it.

I do recommend you trying the TetraTec, it will change your glass-cleaning-life.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thank you. Purchasing now
Qumulus likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

Hey looking forward to seeing your tank. Tell me how the scraper works out later.

/Q
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recommend both as each does have advantages. But each also has things to watch for when we use them. Any tool can be made bad by a poor user!
I keep a variety of things to clean glass as it the needs change for different situations. For really gross, tough stuff, I find nothing better than a sharp razor blade in one of the cheap handles designed for cleaning paint off glass windows as they are designed for tough work without scratching glass. I do have to watch when I get near the silicone because it WILL definitely remove/lift the silicone if I'm careless. Also I do not want to use the blades after they get rusty, so I buy them in packs of 50 or so and change them often.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-Tool...1-5-in/3168621
But for light/medium duty, the magnet can be much better as I don't need to swim as much and can hit the high points without tearing up the tank as much as if I need to get the whole arm in behind things.
If I let it slide and get really gross, I may go scraper, then magnet and follow up with a rough sponge or cloth to do the finish. All types require care when getting near the sub to avoid picking up a grain of sand top scratch things.
Truth is that all good mechanics will have more than one screwdriver in the toolbox. Don't cripple yourself with a lack of tools.
Qumulus likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
u guys are all forgetting the mighty plastic card. bonus points if it's a real credit card

I've actually replaced my razor with one. harder stuff just requires a greater angle and slightly more force.

lasts pretty long, doesn't rust, and not so hard on silicone if you slip.
Qumulus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Use a credit-card style plastic card. It works the best, is least likely to scratch, and gives you the most control. A 60-P isn't deep enough to need anything else.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Definitely the scraper for small tanks. I bought both and never use the magnet and I have a 60p clone.
I have a branded version of this but I bet they work about the same https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stai...3-6c3779091f86

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I cut a thin piece of magic eraser and put it on the inside piece of the magnet tool and it works well . Better than the surface the magnet came with . I also use just a razor blade or a block of magic eraser and my hands...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Razor has been amazing but if you can make due with a credit card, go for it, get some style points, especially if you have some deluxe black edition sort of card.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ying Yang

Magnet can slide and brush away a large area of dusty green pollen but can leave tough spotty algae

Scrapper is good for spot cleaning

I use both, but use the scrapper more

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode