2Likes
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By AguaScape

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium dilemma!!! Power outtage

So my house ran out of power last night and of course it affected my aquarium. I have a planted 5g tank with 3 male guppies which is cycling with a sponge filter for 3 weeks now and i am not sure what to do. I've read some articles saying that bacteria can survive hours if it was kept damp, others say that they die 30 mins after loss of water circulation due to lack of oxygen, and i dont know what to do i need help, any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi LowTechAquarist6,

Don't worry, with only 3 male guppies in the 5 gallon tank there should be no issues whatsoever. Don't feed the fish, leave everything alone, when the power comes back you won't even know it was off.
AbbeysDad likes this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTechAquarist6 View Post
So my house ran out of power last night and of course it affected my aquarium. I have a planted 5g tank with 3 male guppies which is cycling with a sponge filter for 3 weeks now and i am not sure what to do. I've read some articles saying that bacteria can survive hours if it was kept damp, others say that they die 30 mins after loss of water circulation due to lack of oxygen, and i dont know what to do i need help, any help.
A sponge filter should be fine. It is canister filters that have a problem with bacteria dying in a power outage as they depend completely on pump circulation to deliver oxygen to the media.
AbbeysDad likes this.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
In a small tank we can also do some small things to have a better chance. One is doing a few water changes. In your case the bacteria is not a super critical factor but the worry might be more involved with keeping any fish alive and well and good water is about as good a treatment as we can find for fish but it does need to have some thought. Making the new water match the old as close as possible is important on things like temperature and any changes you might make to the PH/GH/ KH as those are things which can stress or shock fish and we want to avoid that.
New water that matches well can do the job of moving water, both for fish health and getting some O2 to the bacteria.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If your sponge filter is run by air, you can get battery-operated air pump to keep it going in a power failure. I have several as backup. They are noisy- but for a short time I'll tolerate that rather than worry about loosing my fish or the cycle.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
How long were you without power? A few hours is not a big deal. I lost power last year and my air pump was off for a day or two. I had no trouble when power was restored. Now my HOBs I did a cartridge change.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I keep filter media 'growing' now and then when im about to start up a new tank. I throw the media in a glass jar and add a plant and potentially a bubbler. I left it for a couples days accidentally last time. Tank still cycled in record time... so I have to assume the bacteria is still there. Of course to confirm I should have smears...

So take a deep breath, im pretty sure you will be fine.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode